Controversian idea from the fabian society

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Trans-sane, May 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Can't find a link for the story, but saw it on BBC news 24 this morning.

Apparently they are suggesting that checks need to be made of a childs medical records for imunizations. If a child hasn't been vaccinated then they should:-

1/ be prevented from attending school until they are.

2/ have child benefits stopped.

As I said controversial idea. What would everyones' opinion of this be if it became policy?

Personaly I would support it.
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

No Jabs, No School

School bit makes sense to me too. The benefit thing would be a nightmare to police so a thumbs down for that.
  3. No!

Education and health are not interlinked.

What if you don´t want your child to have the MMR jab? It has been linked to autism in kids. IIRC the Bliars never admitted that their youngest kid (can´t remember his name Leo? ) had or didn´t have the MMR jab.

It is up to the parents to decide what jabs their child should have. Not some lefty sandel wearing stalin like outreach hippy.

Freedom of choice. Or standby for some large payments if the jabs are wrong. What is the percentage of kids who don´t have the jabs? I recall at my school, there were very few who didn´t. Although in them days we didn´t have the MMR.

Likewise for the cash.

Although I am not adverse to cash being stopped if the children AREN`T attending school.
  4. in_the_cheapseats

Think you will find that that theory has been disproved to the point that the doctor who started that horror story off has been struck off.
  5. Has he? Didn´t know that. Either way, what if the docs come up with a new jab that you, as a parent, might be adverse against?

School is th to educate the children, their education should not be used as a lever to bend parents to the will of the state.
  6. in_the_cheapseats

From the New Scientist

A correction to my last. He was investigated but not struck off. Apologies.
  7. The status of the doctor is irrelevent.

And the end of the day the only condition to access to the education system is the childs/families willingness to co-operate and turn up.

If they are ahead of their years, move them up, if slow move them-keep them down.

What´s next? exclusions on the political beliefs of the parents?
  8. That is a very bad idea. What is the mischief they are trying to prevent?

If someone has been vaccinated, then presumably they will not be affected by someone who isn't. If they haven't been vaccinated because their parents do not want them to be vaccinated, then presumably the risk of catching the condition has been accepted by the parents.

What then is this supposed to achieve?

Did some quick reading: Apparently, they want to achieve "herd immunity". My points above still stands and I still think this is a very bad idea.
  9. I'm normally in favour of small government, but this is a brilliant idea. Doctors frequently see kids who were not vaccinated by their parents due to some dodgy scare story which provoced an over the top reaction from (usually) mummy. If we make vaccines compulsory then we will see a big drop in the number of diseases.

Also: the fewer people vaccinated, the more hosts avaliable for a pathogen. The more hosts avaliable, the greater the chance of mutation. The greater the chance of mutation, the greater the chance of previous vaccines becoming worthless and the disease re-emerging as a serious threat. Vaccines are perfectly safe and should be compulsory.
  10. My bold.

I dont understand this. If the medical world comes up with a vaccine that is good enough to be ratified for general use in this country then there is no real grounds for opposition.
  11. This has to be a matter of parental choice, many parents are against the MMR vaccine given in one dose, and choose to have them as separate vaccinations because of the possible link to autism. If there is no smoke without fire how come our former PM chooses not to disclose how his son was vaccinated!

What next, checking their blood lines to check that they are of aryan origin, and therefore pure!

Sorry we should not be linking our education system to our health system, with all the sinster implications of yet more public servants able to access our personal health records.

Not a step I would be happy to encourage.
  12. This is the problem. One doctor makes a completely unsubstantiated claim and thouseands of children are left at risk. Loads of parents have crazy ideas about "natural" immunity and a combination of these two leads to thousands of children left unprotected, many of whom contract (and die from/ar mamed by) avoidable diseases.
  13. in_the_cheapseats

Really? Do you also disagree with the healthy eating regime that has been introduced in schools? It is much to do with education of the kids to eat better, be fitter etc etc. See a link?

There is an obvious link at it must be seen at more than an individual level. The national health is linked to the successful management of serious diseaces. To make it compulsory is obvious. jew_units points are well put.
  14. itc, would allow children to be banned from school merely because they and/or their parents chose to eat unhealthily?

I am all for ensuring children are healthy and that they are vaccinated and fed properly. But excluding them from education until they comply is not the way.

Teach them and present the facts. Let them hold their own council.

Jew unit, and others.

Two words FREE WILL.

If the medical world are so right all the time perhaps you can explain this....

Perhaps this is your idea of the school children of tomorrow?

Freedom of choice, ladies and gents. That is one of the freedoms that we defend, and which this law will remove for no good reason what so ever.
  15. There is no compulsion for children to eat healthily. Children - in my direct experience - can and do bring packed lunches into school, lunches that are anything but healthy. So I'm afraid Your analogy doesn't work ITC.

People are not taking up multiple vaccinations for various reasons. The autism scare is one reason but many intelligent people are coming to the conclusion that seperate vaccinations may be better for their children. Another reason is that some - again intelligent parents - feel that some illness should run their course.

I do not think that government should subvert the views of parents in this area.