Controversial legacy of Mad Mitch

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by arby, Nov 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sounds like an interesting man. Anyone have any stories?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7111303.stm

"I have no compunction in saying that if some chap starts throwing grenades or starts using pistols, we shall kill him."

seems reasonable.

2. Why was I not surprised to see that Tam Dalyell was criticising the actions of the military.

3. 'Mad Mitch' was hard man who took some uncomfortable decisions in Aden based on an accurate reading of the situation. He paid for being right in his eventual disappearance from the Army , politics and general public knowledge.

He saved the lives of British soldier and Aden residents by his actions ... and was castigated for it. Now where has that happened before ......... and since?!!! :x

4. Pity Mad Mitch wasn't around near Majar al-Kabir, back on June 24, 2003.....

5. One shame is that the programme is only to be aired in Scotland, Argyll Law is an interesting concept and has had some use in other area of ops...

6. Only controversial if you write for the Grauniad or BBC. He and his battalion were creditably health-and-safety conscious and mindful of the full range of environmental, diversity and equality issues which were their first priority on operations in Crater. It would be scandalous of the BBC to claim otherwise.

7. Agreed, does anyone know how it can be viewed elsewhere in the UK?

8. Is it because he has "resist[ed] war with every sinew in [his] body", including every conflict that britain has been involved in over te last 40 years?

Or is it because he's an old, anti semetic eton fopp who failed officer selection?

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

When you send an army in to control an area, don't expect them to be hugging hoodies. 200 serving soldiers where murdered across Aden, some of whom where killed in Crater, dragged around the streets and then mutilated - what was the response of the brass? To pull out and start NEGOTIATING with the murderers to come back in quietly.

'Mad Mitch' did the right thing. As anyone will be able to find out - the only thing that gains the respect of most arabs is a strong man/leader who doesn't fcuk around. Mad Mitch and his men showed them how it should have been done, and he succeeded to sort out a situation where the enemy where attempting to show the weakness of British forces, and by pulling out, the brass had further proved it.

The same thing is happening in Iraq and Afghanistan - where we show weakness they walk all over us, but where we show courage, daring and fighting ability; they back off a bit. The local populations will side with the winner, NOT the ones that show meekness and walk away.

10. If you have Sky, you should be able to see it at the same time as us; should be BBC 2 Scotland channel 990

11. I was up in Bahrain at the time but was called down to Aden when it got hot. Mitch did what was necessary at the time and place. The police revolt led to deaths of, I now think, some 18 soldiers in one incident when they were ambushed. Credability had to be restored to Crater. Accoridng to his radio man, Mitch pulled the leads off the Command radio when they queried his turning a fly the flag patrol into a fire power demo with live targets. I only spoke to him casually one time. He struck me as a man who knew full well what his actions would lead to on a personal level but he saw duty as superior.

edited 1 time to correct old man's typing

12. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Sadly my only memory of Mad Mitch, the Argylls and Aden is that (IIRC: I was very young) the Argylls were scheduled to be disbanded and on the back of his successes in Aden, he fought a bitter campaign to Save The Argylls, which led, as I was told, to the disbandment of the Durhams in their place.

Every time I drink from my DLI glass, I think of Mad Mitch.

But ultimately they all go, so why worry?

13. Today, 26 Nov, there will be a discussion on Radio Scotland's "Newsdrive" from 1600hrs regarding Col Mitchell (Hero or Villain?).

BBC Radio Scotland Linky

14. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

'They were very rough'.

As rough as the Arabs who threw a grenade at my Dad when he was guarding our married-flats in Ma'alla? I don't think they meant it as a gentle warning!!!!!

As rough as the persons who buried nail bombs where they knew British children would play?

Grrrrrrrrrr.

Words fail me!

15. Was he not in the Scots Greys..?

I think he was more anti Blair than anti military....