Control - A Film by Anton Corbijn

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Forastero, Oct 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Managed to see this film last night and I've been happily reintroduced to Ian Curtis and Joy Division. I was only 13 when Ian Curtis died and although I'd heard of him, I didn't really know him or Joy Division but by the time I was about 17 I was a huge fan and his death struck me as such a senseless waste. I'm also a huge fan of Anton Corbijn and his photography and oddly enough, all the bands that I've been a fan of throughout my life have usually had pictures taken by Anton Corbijn. My choice of favourite album of all time - Joshua Tree - was heavily influenced by the imagery that was done by Anton and he has been an inspiration in my own weak attempts at photography.

Anyway, fast forward to last night and the film. From the opening shots, I really was astounded. Anton's composition was very familiar and of course, his use of stark contrast black and white film was almost inevitable but it works superbly. Once past the technical appreciation it was easy to get wrapped up in the story of Ian Curtis and his tortured existence. I wasn't sure if the film was going to have a particular leaning as Ian was hardly an angel but it had the sanction of his family so I guess it was pretty accurate. Watching it took me right back to my teens with all the associated crap that went with it but I had to remind myself that I was (arguably) 'establishment' and that time was long gone! Still, when I got back in my Audi, I stuck Atmosphere on my iPod at max decibels, wound down my windows and gangster leaned my way out of the car park. Well, perhaps not but I did play it at a fair old volume.

The film answered a few questions for me and I left feeling rather sad. If you're a fan of Joy Division or even if you're not, I would urge you to go and see it as I don't think you'll be disappointed.
  2. Thanks for the notice! Will look out for it
  3. I think this film was based on the book written by Deborah Curtis - a very good book
  4. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

It's a bit of a bugger to find. Although on general release, the main players (Vue, Odeon) have only released it at a few of their cinemas so I had to drive thirty odd miles to see it last night. Not surprisingly, it's on at a few of the independents in London but I couldn't get tickets to the Q&A sessions with Anton and Samantha Morton as tickets had gone. Not quick enough! If you do go and see it I'd be interested to know what you think.
  5. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Apparently so and you've just reminded me to go and buy it this afternoon! His daughter Natalie visited the set a few times but apparently found it very difficult to deal with and was reluctant to get involved. I don't think it was so much from not agreeing with the film but she just found it odd that her family history was going be up there for all to see. When the film was shown at the wrap party, there was a baby scene and everybody shouted 'That's you!' and she apparently found it very upsetting. She said she drank more than she usually would that night..