Contrived TV Programmes.

Ghost hunting programmes.

"We are here in this abandoned hotel/hospital/prison and nothing is showing up on any piece of normal technology, but our ghost analyser just picked up a signal from the beyond.

Ohhh it's suddenly got cold in this damp, unheated 19th century building we are in at night during winter....

I just heard a noise that the sound tech could not catch on mic. Or Dave is in another room and suddenly there is a noise that honestly doesn't at all sound like Dave pretending to be a scooby doo ghost.

...And in conclusion we couldn't confirm or rule out paranormal activity
Yvette Fielding has a mischievous sense of humour.

Awol

LE
Car SOS is completely gen.

I know this.

The amount of cars they go and see before filming starts & turn down for being beyond help is vast. Sometimes there’s a really worthy recipient, but the motor is just too far gone.

Some of Tim Shaws input however...
Serious question, why don’t they show the rejects being examined? It would be a lot more honest and it would mean they wouldn’t need to pad the programme out so much.

But otherwise, it’s kind of odd that Fuzz apparently does all the mechanicing, welding, panel beating and whatnot alone, and yet the credits include about a dozen other, oddly invisible, mechanics.

You’ll get me ranting about Ed China and his army of see-through assistants next.

Yvette Fielding has a mischievous sense of humour.
I wish she didn't have that other useless bint with her in a lot of the episodes. Can't remember the other ones name, but all she seemed to do was scream.

I did like the earlier episodes featuring David Wells. They seemed to be the most genuine of them all. Couldn't stand Kreed Kafer.

Last edited:
Ed Stafford's stuff looks genuinely perilous.

There's a couple of rip off US shows as well. I forget the name of the first, a 'native survivalist expert' (which seems to be based on the fact he wears a bandana & barefoot) and 'this army geezer'. It's OK, but reminds me of an infomercial more than anything else.

Second one is 'Naked and Afraid'. Crappy title, crappy show. Like Eastenders in a field. Whiney, shouty, sulky. The only instructive thing is how spoilt brattish 'experts' can bee.
They get to take 3 things with them. (Shame 400 paracetamol and the Mess Webley aren't included)
Dual Survival. Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury. There were also other pairings but these two are perhaps more memorable. The different approaches worked well with each other. In one episode Dave decides to try an experiment. Made up depictions of cauterisation in Western films and so on are one thing but there was a lack of actual footage of doing it for real so Dave decided to cut his arm open and cauterise the wound with black powder. There are obviously risks in doing this but he seemed to manage it.

Cauterization Of A Wound With Black Powder

Dave self inflicts a deep wound with his utility knife to simulate how to cauterize a wound profusely bleeding. Cody initiates the fire on Dave's arm for the process to close the arm. Dave Canterbury states he has a high tolerance for pain. Dave will be having his wound checked out when he returns to the United States. Dave Canterbury does not recommend this under and circumstance for others to do.

Survive

Dave has a Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters
as does Cody https://www.youtube.com/user/abodudeman/videos

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
No, I like Josh. He’s amenable and yes, it’s bollocks, but he knows and we know, that it’s bollocks.

It’s unusually honest, but still with a light dusting of vague facts.

I love watching his shows, and he isn't afraid of taking the piss out of himself or taking part in a local customs (ritual dancing, local foods, buying offerings to god's, climbing stairs covered in monkey shit barefoot)

Oh don't forget he has to hire a local vehicle, ideally something fairly outrageous.

Ghost hunting programmes.

"We are here in this abandoned hotel/hospital/prison and nothing is showing up on any piece of normal technology, but our ghost analyser just picked up a signal from the beyond.

Ohhh it's suddenly got cold in this damp, unheated 19th century building we are in at night during winter....

I just heard a noise that the sound tech could not catch on mic. Or Dave is in another room and suddenly there is a noise that honestly doesn't at all sound like Dave pretending to be a scooby doo ghost.

...And in conclusion we couldn't confirm or rule out paranormal activity
Why did they sack Derek Acorah?
Death should have been a new beginning for his career

I've just remembered another one. It was where a team of 'experts' tracked folk using modern technology, like CCTV, mobile phones etc. It was so interesting that, a) I never watched it and, b) can't remember what it was called.

What suggested to me that it MAY be a bit contrived is that the 'escapee' was being followed by a camera crew........

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Serious question, why don’t they show the rejects being examined? It would be a lot more honest and it would mean they wouldn’t need to pad the programme out so much.

But otherwise, it’s kind of odd that Fuzz apparently does all the mechanicing, welding, panel beating and whatnot alone, and yet the credits include about a dozen other, oddly invisible, mechanics.

You’ll get me ranting about Ed China and his army of see-through assistants next.

they have shown other people taking part, usually in the typical 'Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the earth' (oh no, sorry that was Dale Arden in the movie "Flash Gordon")

it's "well we have to finish the engine, electrics, exhaust, fit the interior, and the wheels, all the chrome trim and the soft top roof, and we are due to take it to Aberdeen for 11 o'clock tomorrow for the big reveal at a car show"
"it's all hands to the pumps, Tim, do some work" and then you see 5 people trying to get everything done at once.

Awol

LE
they have shown other people taking part, usually in the typical 'Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the earth' (oh no, sorry that was Dale Arden in the movie "Flash Gordon")

it's "well we have to finish the engine, electrics, exhaust, fit the interior, and the wheels, all the chrome trim and the soft top roof, and we are due to take it to Aberdeen for 11 o'clock tomorrow for the big reveal at a car show"
"it's all hands to the pumps, Tim, do some work" and then you see 5 people trying to get everything done at once.
The only person I’ve ever seen helping is a 475 year old chap who occasionally appears to help fix bonnets on etc, a bit like ‘Paul’ in Wheeler Dealers (a programme that I love btw, because unscrewing something can often be as enjoyable as screwing it....).

A pillar of the Veteran's Charter ought to be ;
Four free pints in any pub for any veteran of the armed forces , every day .
Either that , or the gift of an allotment and a shed
Why ?
Because you lot have far too much time on your hands , and need to get out more

Awol

LE
Dual Survival. Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury. There were also other pairings but these two are perhaps more memorable. The different approaches worked well with each other. In one episode Dave decides to try an experiment. Made up depictions of cauterisation in Western films and so on are one thing but there was a lack of actual footage of doing it for real so Dave decided to cut his arm open and cauterise the wound with black powder. There are obviously risks in doing this but he seemed to manage it.

Cauterization Of A Wound With Black Powder

Dave self inflicts a deep wound with his utility knife to simulate how to cauterize a wound profusely bleeding. Cody initiates the fire on Dave's arm for the process to close the arm. Dave Canterbury states he has a high tolerance for pain. Dave will be having his wound checked out when he returns to the United States. Dave Canterbury does not recommend this under and circumstance for others to do.

Survive

Dave has a Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters
as does Cody https://www.youtube.com/user/abodudeman/videos
I saw John Rambo once, hanging off a cliff, actually sew up a lacerated arm with a needle and thread whilst being shot at by a bloke in a helicopter, so it must be true. ;-)

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
The only person I’ve ever seen helping is a 475 year old chap who occasionally appears to help fix bonnets on etc, a bit like ‘Paul’ in Wheeler Dealers (a programme that I love btw, because unscrewing something can often be as enjoyable as screwing it....).

mostly that old guy sits about drinking tea

Awol

LE
A pillar of the Veteran's Charter ought to be ;
Four free pints in any pub for any veteran of the armed forces , every day .
Either that , or the gift of an allotment and a shed
Why ?
Because you lot have far too much time on your hands , and need to get out more
Because we sometimes watch TV?

Awol

LE
That really is amongst the worst contrived TV out there. Just how fücking thick does one have to be to think that the ‘Hunters’ really have access to street, bus and shop CCTV?

It would take two years and God knows how many court orders to get even a few minutes of footage. To believe that the ‘Hunters’ can view it in real time takes a level of stupidity that beggars belief. Not to mention that we are honestly supposed to believe that the poor sap being hunted hasn’t noticed that a five man camera crew is standing above his chosen bush and may just be in permanent mobile/radio contact with the producers back at (pretend) ‘Hunter’ HQ.

Awol

LE
That really is amongst the worst contrived TV out there. Just how fücking thick does one have to be to think that the ‘Hunters’ really have access to street, bus and shop CCTV?

It would take two years and God knows how many court orders to get even a few minutes of footage. To believe that the ‘Hunters’ can view it in real time takes a level of stupidity that beggars belief. Not to mention that we are honestly supposed to believe that the poor sap being hunted hasn’t noticed that a five man camera crew is standing above his chosen bush and may just be in permanent mobile/radio contact with the producers back at (pretend) ‘Hunter’ HQ.
Just to clarify @Electromagnetic I’ve just read that back and the ‘level of stupidity’ comment was in no way aimed at you. Just my clumsy writing.

TBH, watching some blokes open a garage door & saying ‘nah’ would be rather boring. I’d forward through that bit.

Fuzz doesn’t do all of the work. It’s done by him and his team at his workshop.

Latest Threads