Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Contrived TV Programmes.

“Shetland” :new series on BBC. Seen the others. I love them. I don’t watch serials, but do this one.
I have not been to Shetland, but I bet it’s contrived.
Pretty high murder rate, for one.

I read something about Pescatarianism yesterday. Essentially eating fish instead of land based meat to save the planet, because if you do, you’ll cut your own gaseous contributions by 50%.

In other words you save the Polar ice caps because you’ll only be farting half as much.

not after last nights curry, it may have been King prawn Karia but today I've had to find things to do in the garden and workshop (with the door open) as I wasn't fit to be in an enclosed space

Mentioned before upthread - 'Britain's best/got/ultimate/off/bee'
The competition ones, but especially the elimination ones.
Brought into sharp focus this week with Ch4 'Best Woodworker' or 'Wood Off' or something' (elimination) vs Jay Blade's Workshop (JBW).

JBW shows people actually learning, doing, creating things for a (deserving) person. Ch4BW rushed through so you never really saw the work, contrived tasks to eliminate someone etc. Far better to keep the 6 people, some are better at one thing than others, and (like Scrapheap Challenge) great to see different approaches to tasks.

Wish the Horizon, Dispatches, Cutting Edge, The World about us, Man Alive, World in Action, of old would come back. Researched and factual documentaries.

Mentioned before upthread - 'Britain's best/got/ultimate/off/bee'
The competition ones, but especially the elimination ones.
Brought into sharp focus this week with Ch4 'Best Woodworker' or 'Wood Off' or something' (elimination) vs Jay Blade's Workshop (JBW).

JBW shows people actually learning, doing, creating things for a (deserving) person. Ch4BW rushed through so you never really saw the work, contrived tasks to eliminate someone etc. Far better to keep the 6 people, some are better at one thing than others, and (like Scrapheap Challenge) great to see different approaches to tasks.
Best woodworker my arrse… Tick Box contestants rushing to bodge perfectly good timber into half finished pretentious crap. Just needs a talentless shirtlifting ’comedian’ to provide some side splitting double entendres and talk bolleaux…

Programmes like those channelled me into having an interest in science. In addition I had a Granny who was a primary school teacher over the 40's,50's and 60's. "Pvivax" she said in that school teacher tone of hers, "You need to read a good thick book, I don't care if it's fiction or non fiction, just read." (and this is when I was still in primary school) And I did, she bought me numerous encyclopedias and other educational books which I read voraciously. I still do read a hell of a lot. If I'm talking to my junior staff about training and learning about my subject (Haematology) the first thing I say to them is "Have you bought a book?" "They're about 40 quid" I say, "You'll spend that quick enough on a Saturday night out, so why not buy a book to help your along in your career rather than relying on Dr Google?" They mostly do I'm glad to say.

Programmes like those channelled me into having an interest in science. In addition I had a Granny who was a primary school teacher over the 40's,50's and 60's. "Pvivax" she said in that school teacher tone of hers, "You need to read a good thick book, I don't care if it's fiction or non fiction, just read." And I did, she bought me numerous encyclopedias and other educational books which I read voraciously. I still do read a hell of a lot. If I'm talking to my junior staff about training and learning about my subject (Haematology) the first thing I say to them is "Have you bought a book?" "They're about 40 quid" I say, "You'll spend that quick enough on a Saturday night out, so why not buy a book to help your along in your career rather than relying on Dr Google?" They mostly do I'm glad to say.

Haematology? So you're a blood doctor then?