Contrived TV Programmes.

Got mine from jumble sales,/ charity shops. Minim this, grain that, emolient paste, immerse psetle in ice & salt, do not allow to go above 85 F etc etc
Will keep an eye out. Grains etc.... My young people in work can scarcely get over the fact that TV went off in and around midnight in the 70's and there were only 3 channels.

Dalef65

Old-Salt
Going back to contrived TV programming, there's something starting next week on BBC called outlaws (or something).
Apparently a bunch of criminals are to be filmed doing their community service.... So far so good.

Then I caught a glimpse of a trailer,.... It's going to be on the BBC3 segment of BBC1, and the people on the trailer looked suspiciously diverse and somewhat photogenic..........

Going back to contrived TV programming, there's something starting next week on BBC called outlaws (or something).
Apparently a bunch of criminals are to be filmed doing their community service.... So far so good.

Then I caught a glimpse of a trailer,.... It's going to be on the BBC3 segment of BBC1, and the people on the trailer looked suspiciously diverse and somewhat photogenic..........
is it not a comedy?

So a remake /reinterpretation of the Channel 4 series I can't remember the name of some years back where they all developed superpowers?

Yep, starring...
Christopher Walken

So a remake /reinterpretation of the Channel 4 series I can't remember the name of some years back where they all developed superpowers?

A Greta Doom Goblin documentary?

Best woodworker my arrse… Tick Box contestants rushing to bodge perfectly good timber into half finished pretentious crap. Just needs a talentless shirtlifting ’comedian’ to provide some side splitting double entendres and talk bolleaux…
I felt the show missed the central theme mentioned in its title Woodworker, the two experts almost exclusively talked about the design (which I admit is an important aspect of the subject) of the pieces, not the methods of construction which is a pity.

If like in the Pottery prog they had a “Master Carpenter” to critique and educate about the craft of woodworking I think it could have been far more interesting and informative.

Also just because you win a section of the show should not allow you to avoid elimination, unscrupulous individuals could just jack their woodwork and not finish it and stay in the show.

I haven't seen one. But I had an uncle who qualified as a pharmacist in 1925. He had to be an expert in veterinary pharmacy as well has human. He had his own recipe for teething mixtures and for coughs, the people in his town swore by them. No doubt he made his own fever drinks etc for cattle and other animals.
Interesting you mention veterinary pharmacy it is still the norm in Belgium, the pharmacists issue both human and animal medicines.

"When TV Celebs Go Wrong"
"When TV animals Go Wrong"
"Other bollocks with a countdown to the best/worst out of a hundred such clips"

...........ad infinitum, usually on C4 or C5 and spans 2 or three hours, packed with ads every few minutes.
TV/fillum extracts that were funny in the 70's/80's the last 50 years, now shown with a countdown to the top ten but with the added bonus of a series of talking heads who were clearly not old enough to have watched it on the first time around but are asked to explain in their own sneering words what they (and you) have just seen (repeated four or five times for every no mark B list celebrity they manage to roll on the set).
The above nonsense TV is now compounded by the introduction of the woke characters which are forced upon us, who obviously fail to understand the context of the British TV clip but now pleasure us with the view of an incomer.
I can't wait for the xmas/new year newly woke edited 2021 versions of the same 70's 80's 90's clips we are going to be fed shortly.

Five boots through the telly out of Five.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Got mine from jumble sales,/ charity shops. Minim this, grain that, emolient paste, immerse psetle in ice & salt, do not allow to go above 85 F etc etc

We found an old list of drug NSNs in the pharmacy on Thorney Island.
It listed cocaine (hydrochloride?) powder however the description "to be prepared locally, by the user" amused us.

We didn't try to order any.

Attachments

• IMG_20211023_235755.jpg
    IMG_20211023_235755.jpg
    1,014.3 KB · Views: 18
Mentioned before upthread - 'Britain's best/got/ultimate/off/bee'
The competition ones, but especially the elimination ones.
Brought into sharp focus this week with Ch4 'Best Woodworker' or 'Wood Off' or something' (elimination) vs Jay Blade's Workshop (JBW).

JBW shows people actually learning, doing, creating things for a (deserving) person. Ch4BW rushed through so you never really saw the work, contrived tasks to eliminate someone etc. Far better to keep the 6 people, some are better at one thing than others, and (like Scrapheap Challenge) great to see different approaches to tasks.
There's one on Aussie TV at the moment about blacksmiths making blades and other weapons. It was watchable except when the voice over guy was trying to make this more exciting by talking in an overexcited voice about what was going on.

I could enjoy most of these shows really, if the bloody voice over people weren't acting like Darrell Eastlake on coke

Last edited:

is it not a comedy?
It is a comedy, written, I believe, by Stephen Merchant

RNR Stoker

Clanker
Any show where they tool around the UK in a vintage/character car to the accompanied by music that goes plinky-plonk.

Any of those antique shows where they buy retail then sell at auction to try and make a profit, whereas everyone knows you do it the the other way round.

Every episode of Wheeler Dealers where they prepare the vehicle components beforehand and off camera, so the mechanic can remove them easily.

Also Wheeler Dealers for claiming to have made a profit on a car when they haven't factored in labour costs.
The premise was that the amateur mechanic wouldn't pay labour costs, but do it themselves.

Latest Threads