Contrived TV Programmes.

Issi

LE
That really is amongst the worst contrived TV out there. Just how fücking thick does one have to be to think that the ‘Hunters’ really have access to street, bus and shop CCTV?

It would take two years and God knows how many court orders to get even a few minutes of footage. To believe that the ‘Hunters’ can view it in real time takes a level of stupidity that beggars belief. Not to mention that we are honestly supposed to believe that the poor sap being hunted hasn’t noticed that a five man camera crew is standing above his chosen bush and may just be in permanent mobile/radio contact with the producers back at (pretend) ‘Hunter’ HQ.

And that a team of ex -'operators', who appear to be either retired coppers or lesbians, can be within a few minutes of the hunted ones, despite them being scattered all over the UK.

Alone History Channel. seems to be one of the better reality shows out there. 10 survival experts dropped off individually close to a lake in the Autumn and expected to build shelters and feed themselves through the winter and be the last person standing. Seperated by miles of dense forest contact with anyone else is verbotten. The contestants are obligated to film their own days of hunting, fishing, building etc and lug huge sets of camera gear around to do this. $500,000 is at stake for the winner.

A sat radio is provided for them to tap out at anytime if things are going tits up and emergency medial crews are on standby. In regards to safety (and transparancy) the producers admit that medical staff do check the contestants every week but staff are not allowed to discuss anything beyond health questions, camera battery packs are switched during the medical exams. Apparently subterfuge is required by the medic boat / helicopter crews to disguise the number of landings. ie: they can't land 10 one exam day then 9 then 7 etc and give away how many people are left.

Although the different shelter builds, hunting methods are the main reasons to watch, the health, the weight loss, and the gradual decline in their mental state is interesting to see as well.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Alone History Channel. seems to be one of the better reality shows out there. 10 survival experts dropped off individually close to a lake in the Autumn and expected to build shelters and feed themselves through the winter and be the last person standing. Seperated by miles of dense forest contact with anyone else is verbotten. The contestants are obligated to film their own days of hunting, fishing, building etc and lug huge sets of camera gear around to do this. $500,000 is at stake for the winner.

A sat radio is provided for them to tap out at anytime if things are going tits up and emergency medial crews are on standby. In regards to safety (and transparancy) the producers admit that medical staff do check the contestants every week but staff are not allowed to discuss anything beyond health questions, camera battery packs are switched during the medical exams. Apparently subterfuge is required by the medic boat / helicopter crews to disguise the number of landings. ie: they can't land 10 one exam day then 9 then 7 etc and give away how many people are left.

Although the different shelter builds, hunting methods are the main reasons to watch, the health, the weight loss, and the gradual decline in their mental state is interesting to see as well.
I've watched all the series - I found the first one to be hilarious in the main, some of the later series / episodes I felt genuine empathy for some of those withdrawn early against their will. There are many nutters at both ends of the scale, from happy-clappy woman living on nuts and berries to full-on 'am gonna eat yo' bray-ans' types. Not all of them are as respectful to the animals they kill for food though, there's one guy that gets properly upset (and rightly so) because he is hunting with a bow and doesn't kill something outright. It's a realisation point for him and changes his outlook and methods almost instantly.

Is the ban on contact with other contestants in order to avoid cannibalism?

John Ware and Panorama's Britains Secret Terror Force - based on Simon Cursey's (aka SM of 1 PWO) book 'Shadow Troop' - total nonsense built on top of previously published and well-known events. Sparked an investigation by PSNI........quickly dropped when the truth dawned.

TamH70

MIA
Me too! Stock phrases were 'I'll be in the Dockyard' or 'I'm under the casing' (that's the bit you can see of a submarine!)
Did you ever use the phrase, "I'm looking for the Golden Rivet"?

The big shouty thing that is Clarkson is back! FARMING?...
I watched this yesterday and today, it was really good and has changed my view on the guy for the better. It was pretty funny and well worth a watch.

Latest Threads