Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BelfastMajor, Sep 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC website announced that a former member of the RUC and latterly the Royal Irish was killed by a IED whilst working a a security contractor in Iraq.

I only knew him for a short while but Ex Cpl Raymond (Raymie) Moore was a top bloke. Liked a drink, great dry sense of humour and on ops he was a complete professional and totally unflappable.

He had just received an award from the Royal Humane Society for rescuing American soldiers injured in a suicide bombing from underneath a bridge that was close to collapse. A good man who will be missed by his family and his mates. Thoughts and condolences to them all. RIP
  2. RIP Fella...
  3. Sad news. For those who wish to know more:

ArmorGroup Employees To Receive Awards

Date: Friday, September 07, 2007
    Source: ArmorGroup

ArmorGroup International plc, the leading international provider of protective security services, is very pleased to announce that six of its employees have received prestigious bravery awards from the Royal Humane Society. The men have been awarded Testimonials on Vellum for their bravery in the successful rescue of a number of US soldiers, following a suicide bomb attack on their checkpoint near Mahmoudiya in Iraq.

The six men, who at the time of the incident were working for ArmorGroup’s Iraq operation providing protective security duties to US Government munitions clearance experts, are:

- Marcus Hammond (44) from Yapham, Yorkshire
    - Michael Natynczyk (38) from Keighley, West Yorkshire
    - Donald Campbell (40) from Croy, Inverness
    - Christopher Powell (35) from Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire
    - John Walmsley (38) from Kirkintilloch, Glasgow
    - Ray Moore (40) from Tandragee, County Armagh

The men were involved in the rescue of a number of US soldiers who had been trapped in the rubble of their checkpoint on a road bridge 160 kms south of Baghdad. The men, working alongside another ArmorGroup team which provided protection from further attacks in what was a highly unstable part of Iraq, entered the dangerous and unstable debris of the collapsed bridge, crawling on hands and knees to look for and rescue the trapped soldiers. With the help of a US military Quick Reaction Force unit they were integral to the successful rescue effort for over 90 minutes in extreme heat.

The Royal Humane Society was founded in 1774 and its Testimonials on Vellum, which are signed by Princess Alexandra, are awarded to people has put themselves in considerable danger to save, or attempt to save, someone else. The Society has awarded fewer than 600 of these awards since 2000 with these being amongst the very few awarded for incidents in Iraq.

ArmorGroup has provided protective security services to government and commercial clients involved in the reconstruction process in Iraq since 2003. ArmorGroup is one of the largest private security companies in the country and has over 1,250 fully vetted employees and over 42 teams providing convoy security, protective security details (PSDs) and static guarding services

Noel Philp, ArmorGroup’s Chief Operating Officer, commented: “We are very proud of the whole team involved in this incident, both those who have been rewarded today for their selfless actions in the rescue of others but also the rest of the team who provided the essential protection without which the initial rescue would not have been possible. Our employees carry out dangerous and highly skilled tasks every day to allow those involved in the reconstruction of Iraq to do their jobs safely and confidently. We remain committed to supporting those efforts for as long as they take.”
  4. RiP Fella, thoughts as always with family and friends...
  5. My father would of knew him.

6. Full respect to the lads from AG who are being awarded the bravery awards. Having been on the EOD side of the same munitions clearance programme last year, I know how hard they have been hit, good lads all of them and especially the Fijians, a nicer bunch of man mountains you will never meet! first time I heard these fellas singing in their nightly service (very religious chaps) in the adjacent tent I thought someone had put on a cd of a boys choir...
  7. RIP fella. A credit to NI.
  8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

RIP Fella,
    My condolences to the families & friends.
  9. RIP.

10. tragic

condolences to his loved ones
  11. RIP fella. Another sad loss to AG. Bad couple of weeks for us. Well done to the awarded lads. Bitter sweet.
  12. Raymie was a good mate and a true warrior. A sad loss to all who worked with him past and present.
  13. Words can not express the sense of loss and grief felt by everyone who knew raymie. As we all know he was the nicest guy you could met and a totally professional soldier. My deepest sympathes to his family. He was truely one of the best. A tragic loss.
  14. I remember seeing pictures of that. RIP, and also a thankyou to him for helping my countrymen