Contract Jobs - Umbrella Companies

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Berlin_104s, May 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon All,

I have been given a hint that a contractor/self-employed position may be available for me to apply for. Is anyone on here currently doing contract work and can they recommend any reputable umbrella companies?

Many thanks

2. This appears to be a good place to work:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thats a classic!;-)
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Made oi larf that did :)
  5. Brunel
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ok for want of a few years experience of this (about 20) running your own ltd co is no more complex than going through some gimp umbrella who will take the piss. IR35 compliance is fairly simple provided you stay within the easy rules, dont stay anywwhere more than 2 years and file personal and company returns. All simple and easy. Why pay some muppets for what you can do yourself.
    registering a Ltd co can be done for a fiver!
  7. What Ugly said.

I would advise if you do set up a limited company that you DO NOT use your own name e.g. John Smith Limited.

Call it anything else.
  8. they took care of everything and sorted out the tax and NI and charged me £34 a month. Very good
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If it doesnt pan out pay your tenner and either fold or non trade register the co. easy to avoid unneccesary paperwork, just dont get silly with personal tax returns.
  10. One small point if you want to register a company. Check the internet domain name is available and buy it before you register the firm. Otherwise some cheeky sod will see the company has been registered, quickly buy the domain name and then offer to sell it to you for a lot more than you would have paid for it if you had registered it yourself in the first place.

Oh, and do get an accountant.
  11. Excellent advice. Take it.
  12. Yes, Brunel are pretty good to work with.
  13. Why don't you just **** off, spamming twat!
  14. Gents,

Many thanks for the useful advice.