• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Contraceptives in methadone

On a serious note, isn't this the sort of thing that was tried in Canada in the seventies when they sterilised supposedly mentally disabled women?

I think the court cases are still going on.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
mistersoft said:
On a serious note, isn't this the sort of thing that was tried in Canada in the seventies when they sterilised supposedly mentally disabled women?

go further back to USA and Sweden in 1920's and 30's is called Eugenics, was carried to it's extreme in Germany in early 1940's.

Fang_Farrier said:
mistersoft said:

go further back to USA and Sweden in 1920's and 30's is called Eugenics, was carried to it's extreme in Germany in early 1940's.
Didn't Australia have a dabble at it as well?

Fang_Farrier said:
A Scottish MSP has suggested oral contraceptives being put into methadone to prevent babies being born into drug using families.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4763137.stm

A sensible idea or the thin edge of the wedge?
The thin edge of the wedge!

If we start on druggies, where does it stop? Gypsies, chav's, poor people, disabled people?

How can we as a civilised society contemplate taking away the most basic of human rights (after the right to life i suppose :? )?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
mistersoft said:
Fang_Farrier said:
mistersoft said:

Didn't Australia have a dabble at it as well?
More than likely, eugenics was a popular theory.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Agent_Smith said:
[
How can we as a civilised society contemplate taking away the most basic of human rights (after the right to life i suppose :? )?
Whose rights?

those of the Druggie to bring a child into a world where there is a high risk of lack of care

or those to protect an unborn child?

There are women desperate enough to have IVF treatment and be able to push babykins down to the post office to collect her pension and yet there are those that have children and then starve them to death or beat them to a pulp.

Its just a question of how normal the rest of normal society is.

Not very sometimes.

He isn't talking steralisation though he's talking contraceptives. Something i'm sure doesn't even enter the head of methadone users.

I would, for the sake of any unborn children. It's not taking away anything from them perminently just through the period of recovery

T-T

Please don't bite me :lol:

It would be fairly simple to get most addicts to voluntarily agree to it (I know this, I've worked in a pharmacy where they supply methadone), but then you get them thinking "hey, I'm protected, i can shag who I want" and the associated spread of disease. It's a nice idea, but needs working out properly so can't see it happening.

Has anyone ever seen a baby born addicted to heroin? It shouldn't be an issue, these smack heads for the most part are supremely selfish and are responsible for a high proportion of child abuse and a high proportion of street crime. The money they spend helps to finance terrorism too. Personally speaking I'd have the f*ckers permanently sterilised.

Agent_Smith said:
I've always found your posts rather sensible and on the ball. However you've just stepped into the hippy spectrum, and I do hope it was only a minor stumble over the line and you'll be back to normality in no time.

It's my human right to make life in as much as it's my human right to crack someone over the head with a mallet. Both make use of my free-will. Just because I can do them doesn't mean that I should or that it is right to do. I'm not saying that people shouldn't have kids far from it, but not every one should. But how will you decide, where will you draw the line, I hear you ask. I'm sure you're aware that not everyone is allowed to adopt because they wouldn't be fit parents.

Agent_Smith said:
Fang_Farrier said:
A Scottish MSP has suggested oral contraceptives being put into methadone to prevent babies being born into drug using families.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4763137.stm

A sensible idea or the thin edge of the wedge?
The thin edge of the wedge!

If we start on druggies, where does it stop? Gypsies, chav's, poor people, disabled people?

Well done A_S, - an excellent starting list. :D :D

NEXT!!!

Not only should they put contraceptives in Methadone but they should slip in a lethal quantity of Anthrax too. Whilst we are at it, is there anyway of having a slow release of Zyclon B inbuilt into benifit payments too?

A_S, youre as mad as a bag of wasps mate.

Hitler, now he had some good ideas. He just had a bad PR department.

If they are on Methodone (which is the alternative to crack and heroine, etc.) are they really in a position ethically, mentally, physically and morally to be allowed to wreak untold physical, mental and medical harm to a unborn baby?

My arguement is no they are not. Once they are clean then they may be allowed to have children and keep them.

Human rights? B**locks to the human rights of the parents, if by their very actions the human rights of the child are infringed.

Latest Threads