Continuance Y/N

Rumour has it we are 800 down within the ranks. Therefore continuation is the buzz word at Glasgow. 14 months to do!
Any thoughts?

Continuance getifuk not this C/S

AFPS 2005 pokeitupyerhoop

MCM Div are in GE this week for their annual party conference I will bring the subject up and wait for a reaction. Will keep you updated.

Cheers Tin_Bath!

SuperWhiteArmy said:
Rumour has it we are 800 down within the ranks. Therefore continuation is the buzz word at Glasgow. 14 months to do!
Any thoughts?
SWA,

It isn't a given, so do your homework. Ask your boss to sign up to the idea by commenting on your CR that "General SWA is a capable and reliable character who ... and might just be persuaded to continue .... etc".

Be prepared to drop a rank or two to where the holes are....Fallingbostel or Bordon, perhaps! I recall that the black hole is in the area of the senior Cpl and Sgt - but I might be out of date. Note that you'll stay on mark time rates of pay.

You remain deployable! The sandpit beckons!

Are you more easily employable at 40 or 45? I reckon the lower age, but you might disagree.

I think Limited Continuance is done in 5 year chunks, so you don't have any long term security.

Litotes

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Run! Run to the hills! Flee my brothers, lest we are caught!

Don't do it. REME on the cheap springs to mind! Remember, you will not get your lump sum or pension therefore you need to balance that off against your wages (if you get paid 30k & your annual pension is 10k, you could argue that they are only paying you 20k for doing the same job :evil: ).

Applied for it just so I can complete my degree with some stability then I'm offski.

fuku said:
Don't do it. REME on the cheap springs to mind! Remember, you will not get your lump sum or pension therefore you need to balance that off against your wages (if you get paid 30k & your annual pension is 10k, you could argue that they are only paying you 20k for doing the same job :evil: ).
Aaahhhh, that one! It isn't as simple as that, Fuku, although what you describe is a useful way of looking at it.

If you serve another year, then you receive your salary, say £30k, but you also receive an uplift to your pension of another year and the rate of inflation. For me, that works out to about another 5-6% on my pension. Key that additional money into an Excel spreadsheet and look for the NPV function, which tells you how much a string of cash payments (your pension) is worth. Extend the no of years in payment to 20 or 30, and use 2% for the discount rate. That will show you that the value of the additional pension you earn by completing another year's service can be worth as much as 50% of your basic military salary.

In absolutely simple terms, to purchase another £500 of pension per year for the next 30 years will cost you £15k (30*£500) (and it will be less than that but I won't explain the reasons here, unless you want me to). And you add that value to your annual salary.

To use your example, the total return for another year's service could be £40-45k instead of £30k. And your effective remuneration would fall from £45k to £10k on retirement!

If I haven't explained it very well, PM me and I will send you a spreadsheet!

Litotes

Percy_Pigeon

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I’m not REME but have served 13 year+ attached. If it suits you go for it. The army has had its moneys worth out of you, and your still contributing and toping up the pension.

I have noticed from the stacker side of the future Service Corps is that if people on continuance don’t like it they vote with there feet and sign off.

Don’t listen to the negative sh1t, look after yourself
:mrgreen: :oops: :oops: :p

On continuance and happy. I joined the Army late and the prospect of pulling on the Orange B&Q overalls at the age of 44 scares the sh1t out of me! Pension forecast looks good though....

Continuance should only be granted if the individual is FE and fully deployable!!

There are several lazy wasters out there who take continuance because they're too lazy to get a job outside.
This detracts from the good guys out there who can still do it all.

norfolk_boy said:
Continuance should only be granted if the individual is FE and fully deployable!!

There are several lazy wasters out there who take continuance because they're too lazy to get a job outside.
This detracts from the good guys out there who can still do it all.

Shut up you Knob! I'm not too lazy to take a job outside. In fact I'm actively looking for other employment. I was offered continuance on the basis I am still providing a service to the Army doing a job that most people (the precious ones) find too difficult.

Get back in your box and wake me up when you have a valid point! In the mean time I will crack on attempting to drag you poor precious dinosaurs out of the analogue age. By the way have you recently been turned down?

END OF RANT. :x

Ahh, obviously downgraded then, best hand yer x factor back in to the pay office!

I refer you to your previous post, "scared of working in B&Q" - obviously really valuable and an asset to the corps,

Get out and let the rest of us get on with it you sad, pathetic little man!

Digitalgeek - although not agreeing entirely with Norfolk_Boy (LE can deploy and function as well as any other tradesman)
you are putting yourself into the Several wasters category by biting at this obvious bait!!

Waster or not, downgraded or not, you are filling a post that needs it and are therefore an asset relieving stress at trade pinch points. Posting a rant, has i'm afraid put you at the moral low ground. Some, and a say again, some out there do need tarring, especially when good guys are turned down. You have obviously not read or understood the post properly.

If the cap fits wear it. if it doesn't, move on.

Yes some good guys are turned down, I agree, and it is bloody unfair, especially when they can provide a valuable service. However, to grant continuance solely on the basis that the soldier is FE and fully deployable is totally unworkable. If this were the case, the entire Army would be on 35 year engagements and continuance would cease to be an issue. I was simply biting at the "Holier than thou" tone of the post. What I originally intended in jest (the bit about the B&Q overalls), was obviously taken the wrong way. My apologies for the childish rant, but when I am tarred with the tag of "Waster", I tend to get annoyed. Continuance was offered and I took it. Simple.