Contingency Operations and Shell Scrapes

Is it me or are the Signals ignoring the last 10 years of delivering CIS capability and using the threat of Contingency Operations as an excuse to dig as many shell scrapes as humanly possible?
Now where's my shovel!

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Shell scrapes are for pouffs, real men dig to Stage III if they're going to be in loc for 12 hours. It says here.

I was never a big fan of digging in, indeed as a soldier my green skills were on a par with some of the less enthusiastic members of the RAF synchronised pie eating team.

However when we invaded Iraq I was mistaken for a proper soldier and for some reason found myself in a USMC column heading North.

At one stop we found out we we only staying for a couple of hours, however we were in range of Iraqi artillery.
Trust me, my shell scrape looked like some of the deeper open cast mines.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Way back in the mists of time I had an RTg full screw in our det who absolutely loved digging. He's a detective now, have no idea whether that tells us anything or not.

Okay serious head on.

I am generally so far in the rear even my laundry goes forward. My natural habitat as a soldier has been an air conditioned room surrounded by multiple IT systems. Yet I found myself in a position where I was digging shell scrapes, room clearing and actually behaving like a proper soldier.

This is why you do basic and are tested on your CLM/Cpls/Sgts/Detties/whatever the hell they are calling it this week.

Better that you have the knowledge and not need it than need it and not know it.

sguyw

LE
Don't need a Shell Scrape in a 3* Hotel, just room service :D

Nuts, every fecker should dig proper fire trenches with yards of OHP. Them Russkies are back!
Well yes but getting them to dig shell scrapes would be a start. Nobody even carries an ET nowadays. Well, nobody except me

How about we concentrate on honing our trade skills on exercise and do shell scrape digging and drill via DLP. Think of the savings on entrenching tools and boots!!! We could even do parades by VTC.

Okay serious head on.

I am generally so far in the rear even my laundry goes forward. My natural habitat as a soldier has been an air conditioned room surrounded by multiple IT systems. Yet I found myself in a position where I was digging shell scrapes, room clearing and actually behaving like a proper soldier.

This is why you do basic and are tested on your CLM/Cpls/Sgts/Detties/whatever the hell they are calling it this week.

Better that you have the knowledge and not need it than need it and not know it.

Wish we'd been taught how to dig shell scrapes on my basic (ta) training. Think a lot of the green sylllabus had been cut or compressed so we could practice drill for a pointless pass out parade.

How about we concentrate on honing our trade skills on exercise and do shell scrape digging and drill via DLP. Think of the savings on entrenching tools and boots!!! We could even do parades by VTC.

Hone your trade skills on DLP and in barracks plug ups and on exercise zip up your man suit and realise there is a slight difference between BT and the RSigs.

Come back to me and drip about shell scrapes when you've dug in an FFR and 1500w.

Hone your trade skills on DLP and in barracks plug ups and on exercise zip up your man suit and realise there is a slight difference between BT and the RSigs.

Come back to me and drip about shell scrapes when you've dug in an FFR and 1500w.
Virtualise the L/R and we wouldn't need to dig it in ever again. Why did you need to dig it in in the first place?

Don't need a Shell Scrape in a 3* Hotel, just room service :D

3*, jeez, that is slumming it, the RAF never book anything with less than 4* and a Michelin starred chef in attendance :)

sguyw

LE
3*, jeez, that is slumming it, the RAF never book anything with less than 4* and a Michelin starred chef in attendance :)

Only the Pilots get that, the rest of us have to put up with 3*, Bar and Pool

Latest Threads