Contents of a Range Box

#1
I've just painted a new range box and transferred the contents of our old range box into it.

I'm curious to know what are the actual requirement in a range box?

All relevant Pams, reflective vests, HLS template, spare ear defenders, flannelet, oil, chalk, grouping+zeroing cards, string, red flags, torch, tape measure, spare batteries, comms kit.

Am I missing anything?
 
#4
Loud hailer, binos, stretcher, first aid kit, Tea urn, paper cups, black bags. Just a few quick ones, no doubt someone will add to it
 
#8
blobmeister said:
Mine tape (pens for night shoot 1. req shoot 2. finished shoot)

Split case extraction plug and push rod
err there is no night shoot its a LNV - Limit of Night visibilty shoot

Black bags and sandbag are always handy and all the pams for weapon systems being fired
 
#9
Taffnp said:
Loud hailer, binos, stretcher, first aid kit, Tea urn, paper cups, black bags. Just a few quick ones, no doubt someone will add to it
It's a range box, not a range box body mate. Yes, all these items come to the ranges with you, I'm just interested in what actually is in the range box.

I did mention "all relevant Pams". So Pam 21, AOSP, PAM 5 etc. are covered.


Sand bags is a good one, any others?

Mine tape is there, forgot to mention it.



Is there a written criteria for a range box and if not surely it needs to be in the arrsepedia?
 
#12
All you need is pam 21 and your ear defenders, both of which fit in your daysack. The admin order should cover a general stores list. Sigs will bring comms kit and spare batteries. G10 will bring other stuff, such as a tent in case there is no sheltered area. Range should have a red flag, targets and sandbags. If in doubt as to the facilities on the range, phone them prior to going.
 
#13
msr said:
http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Range_box
Thanks msr, I should have registered and done it myself. Much appreciated.
 
#14
Taffnp said:
All you need is pam 21 and your ear defenders, both of which fit in your daysack. The admin order should cover a general stores list. Sigs will bring comms kit and spare batteries. G10 will bring other stuff, such as a tent in case there is no sheltered area. Range should have a red flag, targets and sandbags. If in doubt as to the facilities on the range, phone them prior to going.
I'm aware of what is legally required by the RCO on a range, but it is always prudent to ensure that you have the right kit to ensure your range runs as smoothly as possible. How many times have you been on a range and something is missing? Spare batts/ range cards/ sand bags? You certainly can't expect G10 or admin staff to: A- Turn up or B:- Actually read the warning order.

As for expecting the range staff to provide the other essentials, yes in most cases I'd agree, but I've been on some ranges(one in Manchester springs to mind) were the range staff were a little less than helpful.

I'm just curious to know what the rest have in their range box? I'm sure there are some resident experts who know exactly, through experience, what to have in theirs?
 
#15
devilish said:
Taffnp said:
All you need is pam 21 and your ear defenders, both of which fit in your daysack. The admin order should cover a general stores list. Sigs will bring comms kit and spare batteries. G10 will bring other stuff, such as a tent in case there is no sheltered area. Range should have a red flag, targets and sandbags. If in doubt as to the facilities on the range, phone them prior to going.
I'm aware of what is legally required by the RCO on a range, but it is always prudent to ensure that you have the right kit to ensure your range runs as smoothly as possible. How many times have you been on a range and something is missing? Spare batts/ range cards/ sand bags? You certainly can't expect G10 or admin staff to: A- Turn up or B:- Actually read the warning order.

As for expecting the range staff to provide the other essentials, yes in most cases I'd agree, but I've been on some ranges(one in Manchester springs to mind) were the range staff were a little less than helpful.

I'm just curious to know what the rest have in their range box? I'm sure there are some resident experts who know exactly, through experience, what to have in theirs?
Devilish, you've pretty much covered what you legally should have.

All the rest are just personal things that people like to take.

As I said, I always take a couple of spare combi tools, a metal ruler and other bits that make my life a bit more comfortable as an RCO.
 
#16
Hied, fair doos mate, no dramas here. Just trying to get the general consensus on what the experts have to hand.

If it was as easy as turning up with a Pam 21, RASP and ear defenders then we'd all be doing it. I'm pretty sure that anything referred to in your RASP has to be to hand though.
 
#17
You mean you had range staff ?
We always just collected the keys and off we went. Mind it was quite often Sennybridge, so they probably did not want to go to J range.

Regards the last few statements, I was fortunate/unfortunate in that I occasionally

a. Wrote the admin order
b. Was in the G10 and therefore knew what to take
c. Took the range

If not I still attended and knew what we had to take. Hence my ignorance at the contents of a range box. When you have your own 4 tonne it's a big box :)
 
#18
A form called LANDSO 3202 - Reporting of incidents is a must! It can be found on the intranet.

Also photocopies of the ND report form in Pam 21 may be a useful item tucked into the back of the old NIREX.
 
#19
PAC2428 said:
A form called LANDSO 3202 - Reporting of incidents is a must! It can be found on the intranet.

Also photocopies of the ND report form in Pam 21 may be a useful item tucked into the back of the old NIREX.
The Ranges I use insist on a incident aide memoir as an Annex to the RASP.

Your local SASC staff should be able to sort you out a copy.
 
#20
heidtheba said:
The Ranges I use insist on a incident aide memoir as an Annex to the RASP.

Your local SASC staff should be able to sort you out a copy.
What ranges are they? The incident/accident plan for whatever range complex that is being used should be written into the risk assessment at the beginning of the RASP.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top