Contents of a Range Box

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by devilish, Nov 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just painted a new range box and transferred the contents of our old range box into it.

I'm curious to know what are the actual requirement in a range box?

All relevant Pams, reflective vests, HLS template, spare ear defenders, flannelet, oil, chalk, grouping+zeroing cards, string, red flags, torch, tape measure, spare batteries, comms kit.

Am I missing anything?

2. Sand bags :?

3. Mine tape (pens for night shoot 1. req shoot 2. finished shoot)

Split case extraction plug and push rod

4. Loud hailer, binos, stretcher, first aid kit, Tea urn, paper cups, black bags. Just a few quick ones, no doubt someone will add to it

5. Arms of Garth to carry said box with ever increasing contents....

6. Must have Pam 21 in it surely?

7. ....And AOSP Vol 1,Range Standing Orders etc.

8. err there is no night shoot its a LNV - Limit of Night visibilty shoot

Black bags and sandbag are always handy and all the pams for weapon systems being fired

9. It's a range box, not a range box body mate. Yes, all these items come to the ranges with you, I'm just interested in what actually is in the range box.

I did mention "all relevant Pams". So Pam 21, AOSP, PAM 5 etc. are covered.

Sand bags is a good one, any others?

Mine tape is there, forgot to mention it.

Is there a written criteria for a range box and if not surely it needs to be in the arrsepedia?

10. I find spare combi tools useful, as people always forget theirs :roll:

11. msr

msr LE

12. All you need is pam 21 and your ear defenders, both of which fit in your daysack. The admin order should cover a general stores list. Sigs will bring comms kit and spare batteries. G10 will bring other stuff, such as a tent in case there is no sheltered area. Range should have a red flag, targets and sandbags. If in doubt as to the facilities on the range, phone them prior to going.

13. Thanks msr, I should have registered and done it myself. Much appreciated.

14. I'm aware of what is legally required by the RCO on a range, but it is always prudent to ensure that you have the right kit to ensure your range runs as smoothly as possible. How many times have you been on a range and something is missing? Spare batts/ range cards/ sand bags? You certainly can't expect G10 or admin staff to: A- Turn up or B:- Actually read the warning order.

As for expecting the range staff to provide the other essentials, yes in most cases I'd agree, but I've been on some ranges(one in Manchester springs to mind) were the range staff were a little less than helpful.

I'm just curious to know what the rest have in their range box? I'm sure there are some resident experts who know exactly, through experience, what to have in theirs?

15. Devilish, you've pretty much covered what you legally should have.

All the rest are just personal things that people like to take.

As I said, I always take a couple of spare combi tools, a metal ruler and other bits that make my life a bit more comfortable as an RCO.