Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Contents of a 'Go-Pack'

I am afraid that won't do once you go cross country. The pink won't blend in well the camo either.
Well looking at your ID card photo I think you`ll be fine.
1524162723010.png

I might be showing my age, but look up some of the stuff that went on in Sarajevo for an idea of what could be required in the medium term.

Round here, and just over the border in Germany, the recommendation is for ten days of self sufficiency at home. After the day when water and electricity had both failed (the digger repairing the water-main had bust the power-cable) yet the gas was still working, one of the neighbour apartment dwellers managed to set a gas heater on fire and get their apartment going - so now I have two large foam fire-extinguishers as well.

I might be showing my age, but look up some of the stuff that went on in Sarajevo for an idea of what could be required in the medium term.

Round here, and just over the border in Germany, the recommendation is for ten days of self sufficiency at home. After the day when water and electricity had both failed (the digger repairing the water-main had bust the power-cable) yet the gas was still working, one of the neighbour apartment dwellers managed to set a gas heater on fire and get their apartment going - so now I have two large foam fire-extinguishers as well.

There is a very good article by a guy who lived through that and its very popular among the preppers. Let me see if I can find it.

I plan on 30 days before any sort of relief would show up, and double the number of the people who reside in the home. Odds are you will have family etc show up who will need things.

Yeah, the family and friends are always "why do you have so much water/guns/punji stakes...'"

But when the discussion of earthquake comes around "Ahh, well I plan on coming over and sleeping at yours...'

Interesting. I was talking to one of the more switched on nurses last week .
Got talking about the feedback from AFG on the medical side. mentioned CAT tourniquets, and the way in which ABC has changed to CABC for the Army.

I understand South West ambulance service have adopted them. Still got one somewhere....

http://www.specialmedics.com/assets/pdf/TCCC-Kragh-Tourniquets-in-OEF-+-OIF-JSOM-2013.pdf

This history of the CAT has an interesting time line interspersed with the wordy bits covering lots of key points, starting in 1993 with with 7% of deaths in Mogadishu/GOTHIC SERPENT due to limb bleeds.

For spods/geeks, here is a history of the tourniquet and the mis-use in battlefield conditions of WW1 &2 that led to discontinuation of widespread use.
http://104.131.4.44/images/uploads/2015/11/028-history-of-tourniquet-use-2011.pdf

Yeah, the family and friends are always "why do you have so much water/guns/punji stakes...'"

But when the discussion of earthquake comes around "Ahh, well I plan on coming over and sleeping at yours...'

Yeah, that is the no shit truth. "Why do you waste your money on that kind of crap?" Until something happens then you become the new best friend and go to.

Just stumbled away from a post work drink at which one of the contractors was explaining how his brother is part of what he describes as a mutual assistance collective.

Sounded more like a poorly equipped Survivalist Militia to me so asked where his brother was.

"Kent"

All became clear.