Contents of a 'Go-Pack'

The foraging he was teaching was probably based on the premise that the lads receiving the benefit of his largesse (ha! I was once told what his day rate to MoD was some years ago) were on the hoof rather than in static locations. An acquaintance of mine told me he was hoofing it so much that over 5 days he basically managed to lick dew of grass and chew some dandelions, towards the end he happened on an occupied picnic site. He observed in the expectation that mum's and dad's would drop everything neatly in the waste bins - he was right, and in the evening enjoyed a feast of half-eaten sandwiches and half drunk bottles of t1zer and irn-bru. Mear's had done part of his training - before or after that course, can't remember.

But Mears does a nice salmon, or bambi if time and location allows - as an FYI you very, very, rarely see him at his own school, so don't book there if expecting a few days with Ray. I looked for the lad and lass about 8 years ago and ended up going elsewhere for the duration. Good experience for them, shelter building, foraging, fire making, not washing.
You make a very good, reasonable and logical point. Are you sure you are on the right website?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
http://www.specialmedics.com/assets/pdf/TCCC-Kragh-Tourniquets-in-OEF-+-OIF-JSOM-2013.pdf

This history of the CAT has an interesting time line interspersed with the wordy bits covering lots of key points, starting in 1993 with with 7% of deaths in Mogadishu/GOTHIC SERPENT due to limb bleeds.

For spods/geeks, here is a history of the tourniquet and the mis-use in battlefield conditions of WW1 &2 that led to discontinuation of widespread use.
http://104.131.4.44/images/uploads/2015/11/028-history-of-tourniquet-use-2011.pdf
Ta.

'Exsanguination' - such a simple way to say ' Bled to death'

' “Fifty-seven percent of the deaths might have been prevented by earlier tourniquet use. There were no early adverse outcomes related to tourniquet use.”

In AFG, the MERT saved 90 per cent of those who made it onboard alive.

The British Army's casualty handling will undoubtedly focus on the experience of Herrick, just in time to get it wrong for the next conflict....
OP HIP LOCK

Last edited:
Ta.

' “Fifty-seven percent of the deaths might have been prevented by earlier tourniquet use. There were no early adverse outcomes related to tourniquet use.”

In AFG, the MERT saved 90 per cent of those who made it onboard alive. The British Army's casualty handling will undoubtedly focus on the experience of Herrick, just in time to get it wrong fro the next conflict....
Not even on the carotid?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Legend has it that you shove a hand in and grip the artery - but I'm sure someone with real quals will be along shortly to answer that.

I think the CAT we use ,which was designed for one handed use, is for limbs rather than round your neck - and Arrse is full of contrarians :)

Legend has it that you shove a hand in and grip the artery - but I'm sure someone with real quals will be along shortly to answer that.

I think the CAT we use ,which was designed for one handed use, is for limbs rather than round your neck - and Arrse is full of contrarians :)
Fred Farrer (RIP) taught me/us that you grip a bleeder or pinch either side if nowt else is to hand. He, himself, once happened across an accident car vs. m/cycle the downed motorcyclist had a dribbly femoral artery and Fred planted his knee firmly as low as he could in the blokes gut and pinched either side of the laceration too. He carried on carrying on until in A&E.

The only female Major I have encountered was useless.
Strange you should say that. The most useless officer in our HQ is a female Lt Col, who has no grasp of her brief and often issues assurances that she cannot possibly know are true. It's got to the point that if she tells anyone anything they always check independently.

http://www.specialmedics.com/assets/pdf/TCCC-Kragh-Tourniquets-in-OEF-+-OIF-JSOM-2013.pdf

This history of the CAT has an interesting time line interspersed with the wordy bits covering lots of key points, starting in 1993 with with 7% of deaths in Mogadishu/GOTHIC SERPENT due to limb bleeds.

For spods/geeks, here is a history of the tourniquet and the mis-use in battlefield conditions of WW1 &2 that led to discontinuation of widespread use.
http://104.131.4.44/images/uploads/2015/11/028-history-of-tourniquet-use-2011.pdf
Ta.

In AFG, the MERT saved 90 per cent of those who made it onboard alive.

The British Army's casualty handling will undoubtedly focus on the experience of Herrick, just in time to get it wrong for the next conflict....
OP HIP LOCK
Very interesting article , thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the entry in one of the tables in this otherwise deadly serious article..2004(Apr 26) Two U.K. Soldiers rotating through Baghdad ER argue about who can keep used,bloody C.A.T. For later reuse !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Start buying desert in Arizona and Nevada to build your beach front house in ten years.;)

Lex Luthor walt.

Edited to add, curses! Beaten to it.

Last edited: