Contents of a 'Go-Pack'

The way I look at it, if you don't need to move, don't. Being on the move your more vulnerable to elements etc. That being said the planned eventual family motor home purchase is part of the redundancy plan.

We're pretty lucky in Lower North island in New Zealand. Our greatest risks are natural being earthquakes, flooding. The house is pretty well set up to take a good shake and flooding isn't really a risk for us. Being semi rural on a couple acres we have our own water and septic systems. Our only limitation is the power to run the water pumps from the tanks which I'll look to sort with a small generator. Food isn't really an issue with about a couple weeks food/dry stores in the house, but if it gets tight we have redundancy walking around our paddock and a pretty good vege patch.
This.

Why leave somewhere you know unless absolutely necessary?

I've 3 months' worth of food at home( not including frozen as electricity is ephemeral) in a place I know intimately & the means to turn it into somewhere hardened enough to make looters/zombies/starving peons go looking for an easier target & that's without resorting to use of force.

A months worth of food should be had in the house, not including the freezer and if any situation does develop then fill the bath with water. If the water goes off you have 100+ litres sat there.

Why leave somewhere you know unless absolutely necessary?
The thread has drifted to the extent that the scenario given in post #1 has been forgotten.

It's all very well having your survival stocks hoarded and your home turned into a fortress but what are your bug-out plans when your castle becomes untenable and you have no alternative but to seek civilisation? The nearest such place could be 200 miles away so what are you going to pre-load your crash-out bag with to help you get there (given that when you pack the bag, you'll have no idea of the scenario that will cause you to use it - fire, flood, earthquake, meteorite impact, nuclear device - or even the time of year when it will happen.).

You have less than five minutes, you either pick up your bag or you unlock your armoury, no time to do both.

The thread has drifted to the extent that the scenario given in post #1 has been forgotten.

It's all very well having your survival stocks hoarded and your home turned into a fortress but what are your bug-out plans when your castle becomes untenable and you have no alternative but to seek civilisation? The nearest such place could be 200 miles away so what are you going to pre-load your crash-out bag with to help you get there (given that when you pack the bag, you'll have no idea of the scenario that will cause you to use it - fire, flood, earthquake, meteorite impact, nuclear device - or even the time of year when it will happen.).

You have less than five minutes, you either pick up your bag or you unlock your armoury, no time to do both.
Page 1 says 10min, so I've already made another 5min and enough time to load the wife and kids into the 4wd with an over night bag, chillybin full of food and plenty of time to get a few "tools" out of the gun safe....
Winning!!!

To be honest, if you only have 5-10min to evac your house you are most likely a goner already. Having grown up on the coast and also been based in a camp at the base of a live and occasionally erupting volcano I soon learnt the realities of this. Tsunami you don't grab anything, you run. As above best case scenario sit tight if not possible prep ahead:
For the car maintain a few things (generally in there anyway) i.e. food (hi energy snack bars etc) water and basic med kit, a blanket, tarp and a spare wet weather jacket. Stuff that anyone in the family is capable of using and doesn't affect the day to day use of the car i.e. taking up space or heavy. Better still, always keep the tanks topped up and vehicle serviced as it may serve as your home heating and shelter.
Stored around the house a bag with the similar things but more compact and able to be easily carried. The hallway with school bags, day bags, warm jackets and hats is a passive "Prep" in itself

Realistically, who actually has the time or ability to constantly carry a "Go Bag" with them throughout their day. In some of our more quake prone areas some office workers have a bag for the likes of quake/fires. Not to run for the hills but to provide comfort for the hours they will most likely spend sitting around waiting for the all clear or support services to arrive.

Thanks for the links to the machete as well as some very nice axes.
I had to help my son this weekend with his homework. All to do with stuff relating to the stone age (One my favorite parts of history). I explained to him about flint knapping and how we are still finding arrowheads and other tools, that are still sharp after 1000's of years. So we made a spear with cardboard spear head, bow with arrow and a mini stone age axe, using a small brick out of our garden. I also showed him basic knife skills for removing bark and bit of whittling.
This got me thinking about this tread, it would be an good skill to have (flint knapping) as it means you some means of creating weapons on the go other than sharp pointy sticks.
Ok it might seem a bit extreme but it's a handy skill to have me thinks.

This got me thinking about this tread, it would be an good skill to have (flint knapping) as it means you some means of creating weapons on the go other than sharp pointy sticks.
Much easier just to “upcycle”. Find a suitable piece of scrap steel or aluminium and sharpen it.

Thanks for the links to the machete as well as some very nice axes.
I had to help my son this weekend with his homework. All to do with stuff relating to the stone age (One my favorite parts of history). I explained to him about flint knapping and how we are still finding arrowheads and other tools, that are still sharp after 1000's of years. So we made a spear with cardboard spear head, bow with arrow and a mini stone age axe, using a small brick out of our garden. I also showed him basic knife skills for removing bark and bit of whittling.
Ok it might seem a bit extreme but it's a handy skill to have me thinks.
Next weekend you could show him how to make a hook out of bone, line out of reeds and take him fishing. (Take sandwiches because you won't catch anything - but that doesn't detract from the new skill learned).

Amateur, a few choice firearms can be staged and always made ready to go.

Page 1 says 10min, so I've already made another 5min and enough time to load the wife and kids into the 4wd with an over night bag, chillybin full of food and plenty of time to get a few "tools" out of the gun safe....
Winning!!!

To be honest, if you only have 5-10min to evac your house you are most likely a goner already. Having grown up on the coast and also been based in a camp at the base of a live and occasionally erupting volcano I soon learnt the realities of this. Tsunami you don't grab anything, you run. As above best case scenario sit tight if not possible prep ahead:
For the car maintain a few things (generally in there anyway) i.e. food (hi energy snack bars etc) water and basic med kit, a blanket, tarp and a spare wet weather jacket. Stuff that anyone in the family is capable of using and doesn't affect the day to day use of the car i.e. taking up space or heavy. Better still, always keep the tanks topped up and vehicle serviced as it may serve as your home heating and shelter.
Stored around the house a bag with the similar things but more compact and able to be easily carried. The hallway with school bags, day bags, warm jackets and hats is a passive "Prep" in itself

Realistically, who actually has the time or ability to constantly carry a "Go Bag" with them throughout their day. In some of our more quake prone areas some office workers have a bag for the likes of quake/fires. Not to run for the hills but to provide comfort for the hours they will most likely spend sitting around waiting for the all clear or support services to arrive.
We have go vehicles, and the alternate BOLs are the parents or siblings house. The hills are still a cold frozen bitch this time of year. The plan would be to deposit the dependents and return with the Sibling to secure more goodies.

A months worth of food should be had in the house, not including the freezer and if any situation does develop then fill the bath with water. If the water goes off you have 100+ litres sat there.
On that note I did a plumbing job for a mate who has been a mad, keen, prepper type in the UK for years: He was worried about water supplies and asked if I could put an extra tank in his loft. I did and I put in a couple of cunning valves to allow it to be switched to go through the cold water pipes to the taps rather than through the hot water cistern as it would ordinarily during normal daily use.

There is also an insert you can buy for the bath which is like a big bladder. Put it in the bath, fill with water and put the lid on and it keeps the water without kack dropping in.

Last edited:

A real life look at the time factor.

There is a fault zone off the west coast of the USA, it runs from around San Francisco up to Vancouver, BC - the Cascadia Subduction. It is well past its sell by date and the Fed's and State authorities have been quietly making plans for the event - those who know such things say that it will make "the big one" in California look like a non-event.

The California one, San Andreas, is not expected to have any tsunami activity as it is a land based fault. The Cascadia Subduction will cause a tsunami that will travel in two directions: It will hit the west coast of the USA above San Francisco upto Vancouver, but it will also travel acoss the Pacific to cause destruction in Japan. The Japanese will have hours of warning, whereas the bloke running the show in Oregon has publicly stated words to the effect of: If live near the coast and the alarm sounds drop everything and run for high ground, there will be about 20 minutes to half an hour. Do not stop for anything, or anyone, do not go home to grab a bag, or you will be dead, do not go to collect a pet, or you will be dead, do not stop for a person, or you will be dead. Just run.

Everything will be out and they estimate a 3 year rebuild time. So one doesn't really wonder why the likes of Amazon, microsoft, et al are building and moving to mirror locations elsewhere.

A real life look at the time factor.

There is a fault zone off the west coast of the USA, it runs from around San Francisco up to Vancouver, BC - the Cascadia Subduction. It is well past its sell by date and the Fed's and State authorities have been quietly making plans for the event - those who know such things say that it will make "the big one" in California look like a non-event.

The California one, San Andreas, is not expected to have any tsunami activity as it is a land based fault. The Cascadia Subduction will cause a tsunami that will travel in two directions: It will hit the west coast of the USA above San Francisco upto Vancouver, but it will also travel acoss the Pacific to cause destruction in Japan. The Japanese will have hours of warning, whereas the bloke running the show in Oregon has publicly stated words to the effect of: If live near the coast and the alarm sounds drop everything and run for high ground, there will be about 20 minutes to half an hour. Do not stop for anything, or anyone, do not go home to grab a bag, or you will be dead, do not go to collect a pet, or you will be dead, do not stop for a person, or you will be dead. Just run.

Everything will be out and they estimate a 3 year rebuild time. So one doesn't really wonder why the likes of Amazon, microsoft, et al are building and moving to mirror locations elsewhere.
The destruction of CA...........................Is it only me who can't see a downside?

The destruction of CA...........................Is it only me who can't see a downside?
Cascadia Subduction will take out California, north of San Franciso, which is mainly uninhabited coast. It will take out all of coastal Oregon and a fair way inland, terrain allowing, along with coastal Washington State (Seattle) and Vancouver in Canadashire.

The fault is already well past it's mean time between events, as is the San Andreas. It is estimated that the tension built up in the San Andreas is somewhere around 150 feet. So when it pop's the coastal side of California will shoot northwards 150 feet in under half a second. Severing all power, water and communication links serving southern california.....unbelievably they have planted 39 service links through one valley which previously showed signs of massive ground shift. The [I reckon somewhat downplayed] casualty estimates for the San Andreas are 2000'ish deaths.

There is also the fault on the Canary Islands: I can't remember which particular island, but it is constantly monitored. The effect of the quake would be more or less half a mountain falling into the Atlantic. The mechanics of tsunami's are such that they can pick up force and volume of water as the move along and this one would wipe out most of the coastal East Coast of the USA - with something like a 6 - 10 hour warning.

Last edited:
Cascadia Subduction will take out California, north of San Franciso, which is mainly uninhabited coast. It will take out all of coastal Oregon and a fair way inland, terrain allowing, along with coastal Washington State (Seattle) and Vancouver in Canadashire.

The fault is already well past it's mean time between events, as is the San Andreas. It is estimated that the tension built up in the San Andreas is somewhere around 150 feet. So when it pop's the coastal side of California will shoot northwards 150 feet in under half a second. Severing all power, water and communication links serving southern california.....unbelievably they have planted 39 service links through one valley which previously showed signs of massive ground shift. The [I reckon somewhat downplayed] casualty estimates for the San Andreas are 2000'ish deaths.

There is also the fault on the Canary Islands: I can't remember which particular island, but it is constantly monitored. The effect of the quake would be more or less half a mountain falling into the Atlantic. The mechanics of tsunami's are such that they can pick up force and volume of water as the move along and this one would wipe out most of the coastal East Coast of the USA - with something like a 6 - 10 hour warning.

So opposed to a quick death like OR & WA, CA gets a slow lingering death.......................It sounds better all ready.:1:

So opposed to a quick death like OR & WA, CA gets a slow lingering death.......................It sounds better all ready.:1:
Start buying desert in Arizona and Nevada to build your beach front house in ten years.;)

I look at the greater New Orleans area, even now, many years after Katrina and it still has not pulled itself back. The city is fine, but there are still vast areas on the outskirts where there used to be houses that still have not been redeveloped as the inhabitants simply did not bother going back. I have met a fair few here in Texas who left after katrina and just stayed here. Same would happen in Cali. With no power, water, drainage for 6 months plus anyone who is in rented and readily mobile will simply pack up and move to another State.

Start buying desert in Arizona and Nevada to build your beach front house in ten years.;)

I look at the greater New Orleans area, even now, many years after Katrina and it still has not pulled itself back. The city is fine, but there are still vast areas on the outskirts where there used to be houses that still have not been redeveloped as the inhabitants simply did not bother going back. I have met a fair few here in Texas who left after katrina and just stayed here. Same would happen in Cali. With no power, water, drainage for 6 months plus anyone who is in rented and readily mobile will simply pack up and move to another State.
Perhaps we need to build a wall on the California border as well.......

I'm sure Californians will be OK, with their assault weapon bans, bullet buttons and 10 rd magazines, that'll keep them safe.
Nevada should extend the border fence to the North and then sell tickets to poke the Californians through the fence with a stick. - Bugger, beaten to it..............must be a good idea.

Perhaps we need to build a wall on the California border as well.......
They are already stealth relocating. I see many California plates on cars here in Dallas and down in Austin. Toyota upped sticks from Irvine, California, to Dallas, something like 6000 US head office jobs. Then there are all the IT/IS companies that have moved here, or are moving here from California and Dallas is definitely on the Amazon short list for their HQ2 location.

With Mrs Effendi doing HR she is involved in contingency planning and whilst not shouted about loudly there are hushed whispers mentioning impending natural disasters on the west coast as reasons for mirror locations.