Contents of a 'Go-Pack'

One of the big concerns we had as council emergency people was the sheer numbers of people expected to be travelling through the county if things went tits up. The clever trick-cyclists reckon that if it falls drastically to shite the mental state of people will be such that try and move to where their sub-conscious mind thinks is a safe, happy place. For most people that is where they go on holidays, days out, school jolly's - you won't be able to drive to Spain so it would be UK places - the favourite areas are the west of england, lake district, jockistan, new forest, etc. So the routes to those places would fill rapidly. Consider the worst possible commuter nightmare traffic day and then multiply that by 4 and throw in some panic and confusion.

The grown ups on the planning team were planning for increased hospital capacity, food and water resources and wondering how they would cope with public order - which we won't consider.

If it is a localised event it is a case of simply moving on to an unaffected area. However, for a national event it is advisable in the first instance of mass confusion to stay put where you have everything you need to get by. Re-assess the situation as it evolves and then make as informed a choice as possible if and when to move out to the family holiday cottage in Happyshire, or nick a boat and sit it out off-shore.
Which makes bugging in and riding out the worst of the storm more attractive then stranding yourself in the middle of BFN with thousands of pissed off scared people.

I have the XL650, with casefeeder and a self made bulletfeeder - a copy of the Mr Bulletfeeder (I'll send you a pic). Dillon reckon around 600 to 700 an hour with the case feeder, with the addition of the bulletfeeder the speed goes up dramatically. You just make sure that the powder is filled up, that primer tubes are filled and rowed up and off you go.

I can well recommend the 650 as a reloading press - around the $800 mark plus dies and other odds and ends, but it pays for itself pretty quickly compared to paying full price for ammo.
I couldn't agree more.

I run 2 x 650's one for small, one for large primers and a turret press for rifle ammo.

Personally I think that the 5.11 packs are the ergonomic equivalent of a shopping bag with shoulder straps attached. My lad has used one as a school bag for about 6 years now, the original is retired and he now has a grey one and a coyote one to allow differentiation between his A day and B day school bags. Other than a school bag or town bag I would not touch one. My own is an Eberlestock.

For friends and family I would strongly recommend the Kelty Redwing line as have good ergonomics and plenty of stash room without having the threatening militaristic look of a 5.11 covered in molle.

Further: The Feds advise that you should be able to look after yourself for 3 days - so you need that much food minimally, looking at Katrina and personal experience in Florida I would advise 5 days worth of calories. Put togeher your own MRE type meals, it is cheaper and you actually get to choose what you really like - just make sure to change out perishables before their best before dates. Personally my emergency food supply is measurable in months having seen post-hurricane disorder and living in tornado country.

Get yourself a couple of those small roll's of duct tape that look like a roll of sellotape. Good for loads of repairs including sticking closed cuts and gashes.

Carry two quick access tourniquets each.....you have two femoral arteries.

Get yourself a wind up torch - save the batteries.

Sort out the Baofeng radio with a decent antennae to get better range and reception.

Get some hi-viz orange nylon fabric and make a couple of signal panels. Signal Panel Marker

Hammock, poncho liner and a tarp. Hammock Forums - Hammocks and hammock camping - Elevate Your Perspective

Yeah I was pretty un- impressed by the ergos and feel of the 5.11 pack too; not a patch on any of my Mystery ranch, Dana designs or deuter packs. Didn’t even come with a waist belt.

Still as am not planning to go backpacking with it , I can live with it’s short comings. The comparments and internal webbing make it easy to keep track of all the crap I’ve stuffed in it.

Yeah I was pretty un- impressed by the ergos and feel of the 5.11 pack too; not a patch on any of my Mystery ranch, Dana designs or deuter packs. Didn’t even come with a waist belt.

Still as am not planning to go backpacking with it , I can live with it’s short comings. The comparments and internal webbing make it easy to keep track of all the crap I’ve stuffed in it.
Mystery Ranch and Eberlestock are both sound, I had difficulty choosing between the two and finally settled on Eberlestock. This one =====> Little Brother Pack I recently met the chap who runs the company and told him I like the product. He told me that they have after much testing and evaluation just signed a deal to supply the Australian Army with the Little Brother pack......very adaptable, well made, system.

I couldn't agree more.

I run 2 x 650's one for small, one for large primers and a turret press for rifle ammo.
I am looking to step up to a 1050 as I am getting too much primer crimped brass and using the 650 means a seperate step using the super swage 600 first - which gets pretty damn old after a couple of thousand case's.

I am looking to step up to a 1050 as I am getting too much primer crimped brass and using the 650 means a seperate step using the super swage 600 first - which gets pretty damn old after a couple of thousand case's.
It's not in their catalogue yet, but one of the things I saw at the SHOT show was a case prep press Dillon are working on. It was based on a 550 with a case feeder, it deprimes, swages and trims the cases.

I know of a few guys who run 1050s, but I found that it can be very fiddly to set up and prone to jamming if not right. Also a lot longer to do a calibre change compared to the 650. 1050's great if all you are doing is mass producing one calibre.

ugly

LE
Oddly enough I feel fairly secure living where I am If that became untenable there are some buildings on the farm I could occupy until law and order was restored!
Part of my retirement plan is to rent a cottage on the farm and live off the proceeds from the sale of my house.

I'm glad you mentioned chewing gum. Years ago the 'SERE brief', aka just watch this DVD lads, had some RAF punters wandering around SENTA or SPTA surviving and it was an opportunity to gain vital knowledge and tips before we deployed to Afghanistan or Iraq of how to survive in UK.

Anyway, Step 1 was to look what food they had on them. Bloke 1, biscuits brown, Bloke 2, Mars bar, Bloke 3, chewing gum (sugar free). I thought that bloke 3 would be the first to die but it didn't pan out that way. A lost opportunity.

The main take away was, environment dependent
3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

I may have just made that up as I was drifting in and out of consciousness.

BTW if you know the flood waters are coming, build an ark. Sure I've heard that, too.
I assume there was quite a lot of shagging in this film?

5.11 bags are for range days and summer day hunting, I made the serious mistake of trying to use a 24l one as a field day sack, 6 hours of inclement weather later everything I had was soaked through, that will teach me for acting gucci.
Stick with the issue patrol pack, its proven and just the right size, bungee your basha poles, matt and golock to it and thats all you need. There are issue ones in MTP about, I'v been trying to score one for ages.

Seeing the way this thread is going, its looking like a specific 'Prepping, Survival and Homesteading' one in hobbies would be appropriate.

5.11 bags are for range days and summer day hunting, I made the serious mistake of trying to use a 24l one as a field day sack, 6 hours of inclement weather later everything I had was soaked through, that will teach me for acting gucci.
Stick with the issue patrol pack, its proven and just the right size, bungee your basha poles, matt and golock to it and thats all you need. There are issue ones in MTP about, I'v been trying to score one for ages.

Seeing the way this thread is going, its looking like a specific 'Prepping, Survival and Homesteading' one in hobbies would be appropriate.
5.11 tacticool is great for showing off. Real world not as much.

Tenzing 1250 Lumbar Pack : Cabela's

I prefer the Tenzing 1250 for my Deer pack. Room enough for everything you need and still not horrible to crawl around with.

Nah, I like shooting, lots, and hate reloading, so the quicker I get it done the better. The way I have my press set up I can crank out 1000 rds an hour of 9mm, or around 800rds of 5.56.

I know a 'Doc', but not the comic book one you showed.
Ah my bad, I thought you were talking about a Dillon Aero XM214* (M134 in 5.56mm**), rather than a Dillon press

*doesn't actually exist - only GE did experimental ones
**which would also need 12 1/2 hrs of reloading for 1minute fire at highest rate

Last edited:
Last place we lived in the UK was fed by a couple of water treatment plants. I wander into the Tesco at the southern end of town next to Police HQ one afternoon just before school pick-up and there are people with trolleys full of bottled water. I ask the security bloke whats happening and he tell's me that there is something wrong with the supply so they turned it off.

1. Tesco (Sainsbury, Waitrose and the local Co Op's) had sold out of water by 16.00hrs.

2. Stand pipes were not going to happen as there was a contamination of the supply.

3. Bowsers were not visible till the next morning.

4. I cannot remember how long it took to purge the supply pipes of the contaminant, but it was longer than a day.
ught a lifetime supply of pot noodles, Kellogs Frosties and lemonade powder.

My prepping consists mainly of knowing where the out of town distribution warehouses for the large supermarkets are.
We do take water for granted in the UK.
When it was cold, The water Co were doing some 'routine works' (yeah, right!) and said no water 9-5, fill a kettle. Me arse! of course it ran late and the shite out of the taps for the next day was horrible. There are 2 biggish smarkets and 3 little ones and they pretty much all ran out of water, except for the £3/l melted glacier stuff.

In the summer, I take still & sparkling water to the elderly neighbours - it reminds them to drink & the sparkling stuff is a 'treat' with some squash.
I mean, it's the ownbrand stuff, not Evian...I do get a cuppa and cake out of it ;)

not by much. £192

You could get loads of Varusteleka finnish stuff and still have the postage covered for that

This sort of thing: Savotta Jääkäri S

Last edited:

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
A quick read for you. I was on the District Council Emergency Management team and attended some interesting and informative courses. Food was a big point. Some years ago a presentation was made in parliament that the country is basically 5 days away from falling apart. This is due to the just in time delivery systems in place nowadays, coupled with mega food imports and farmers being paid to not grow things. The food supply chain in most civilised countries has - from field to supermarket - 5 days worth of nosh. So if it falls to poop get down to Waitrose sharpish.

I know it's the Wail, but give it a read.

Nine meals from anarchy - how Britain is facing a very real food crisis | Daily Mail Online
It used to be two weeks was regarded as a breathing space before the collapse of civilisation, this was the standard line post ww2 and 50s.
Someone decided that it needed upgraded and had another look.

They came back with 36 hours, thanks largely to the difference in how we buy, store and cook our food. Not to mention the sort of food we cook.

That was 36 hours. In the days before Sky, mobiles, the internet and Faceache. I think we’re down to about 3 and a half.

Last place we lived in the UK was fed by a couple of water treatment plants. I wander into the Tesco at the southern end of town next to Police HQ one afternoon just before school pick-up and there are people with trolleys full of bottled water. I ask the security bloke whats happening and he tell's me that there is something wrong with the supply so they turned it off.

1. Tesco (Sainsbury, Waitrose and the local Co Op's) had sold out of water by 16.00hrs.

2. Stand pipes were not going to happen as there was a contamination of the supply.

3. Bowsers were not visible till the next morning.

4. I cannot remember how long it took to purge the supply pipes of the contaminant, but it was longer than a day.

If that was Gloucester a little over 10 years ago, its a lot better. The water company's emergency planning wasn't very good and they were subsequently supported by the RLC in planning the distribution of bottled water and bowsers. The lessons the company learnt and the amount of effort put in to contingency planning has been spread wide across the UK resilience community.

Within a fairly short period of time, the water delivery was squared away and queues were seen again at tesco, but this time it was people waiting for the perrier to come to the front of the distribution train, rather than the boring normal bottled water....

It used to be two weeks was regarded as a breathing space before the collapse of civilisation, this was the standard line post ww2 and 50s.
Someone decided that it needed upgraded and had another look.

They came back with 36 hours, thanks largely to the difference in how we buy, store and cook our food. Not to mention the sort of food we cook.

That was 36 hours. In the days before Sky, mobiles, the internet and Faceache. I think we’re down to about 3 and a half.
The big city folks will be the first to be screwed, the country folk will hang a bit longer. Different mindsets make a huge difference.

With the UK, what could we pack for self protection that's fully legal to buy.
Was thinking about small axe of some sort. Duel use chopping wood etc and people.

Last edited: