Contents of a 'Go-Pack'

As you said; Hoth.
No. Hoth's another name for Neilston. Yon Lucas lad filmed Empire Strikes Back one December on location there.

A quick read for you. I was on the District Council Emergency Management team and attended some interesting and informative courses. Food was a big point. Some years ago a presentation was made in parliament that the country is basically 5 days away from falling apart. This is due to the just in time delivery systems in place nowadays, coupled with mega food imports and farmers being paid to not grow things. The food supply chain in most civilised countries has - from field to supermarket - 5 days worth of nosh. So if it falls to poop get down to Waitrose sharpish.

I know it's the Wail, but give it a read.

Nine meals from anarchy - how Britain is facing a very real food crisis | Daily Mail Online
Not getting anywhere near even slightly near non bonkers prepper level, get some odd looks if I tell people we keep a couple of slabs of (large) bottled water on hand at all times.

"Oh but that is pointless: there will always be standpipes or bowsers provided."

Oh really.

Rice storage: a tip from my sister in law who may be nuts but is into foodcraft and whilst not a prepper is tight as a ducks arse and buys in bulk if possible.

Buys large (25Kg) bag of polished white rice (won't go rancid so soon because the oils in the husk have gone) and then decants into cleaned and dried 2 litre fizzy drink or water bottles filled to near capacity and sticks in a oxygen absorbing sachet, although it works well without.

Leaves each bottle in freezer for a couple of days which will kill off any mites which may be lurking.

So it was we were eating three year old rice with no noticeable change.

Dried rice as a survival food? I suppose it depends on the scenario. If your prepping involves stockpiling water and fuel, it seems a good way of depleting your resources very quickly.
If the scenario is such that a go bag is required, I'd suggest that you just need to get out of a local area of immediate danger, at which point your credit card comes into play. Go bag contents then need configuring along the lines of water (2 litres should suffice), a roll of bin liners (improvised wind- and waterproofs and to make a flotation device), a roll of garden/rubble sacks (for when bin liners aren't man enough), a roll of gaffer tape (to join the bags), some cord and a knife. As regards food, do you really need any? It's hard to envisage a scenario where you won't reach a working civilisation within a couple of days, a week at the outside, so a couple of bags of boiled sweets.

Any thing more major and you're into the realms of staying put with huge stockpiles or loading stuff into a vehicle - both instances where the use of a go bag means that Plan A hasn't worked.

Dried rice as a survival food? I suppose it depends on the scenario. If your prepping involves stockpiling water and fuel, it seems a good way of depleting your resources very quickly.
If the scenario is such that a go bag is required, I'd suggest that you just need to get out of a local area of immediate danger, at which point your credit card comes into play. Go bag contents then need configuring along the lines of water (2 litres should suffice), a roll of bin liners (improvised wind- and waterproofs and to make a flotation device), a roll of garden/rubble sacks (for when bin liners aren't man enough), a roll of gaffer tape (to join the bags), some cord and a knife. As regards food, do you really need any? It's hard to envisage a scenario where you won't reach a working civilisation within a couple of days, a week at the outside, so a couple of bags of boiled sweets.

Any thing more major and you're into the realms of staying put with huge stockpiles or loading stuff into a vehicle - both instances where the use of a go bag means that Plan A hasn't worked.
Nah thats dried rice in terms of bulk domestic storage.

In context of UK, question bug out to where?

I could go to the Blogg Beta site but that is really just somewhere 200 miles away and not necessarily better.

Otherwise family in Scotland. Assuming the border is not closed to keep to Anglos out

That was my point. If water and gas/electricity supplies are cut off, you'll be using your precious stocks of water and fuel just to make the rice edible. You'd be better off with cans of rice pudding.

That was my point. If water and gas/electricity supplies are cut off, you'll be using your precious stocks of water and fuel just to make the rice edible. You'd be better off with cans of rice pudding.
Heating rice just speeds up the water absorbing.

You can eat it after 24 hour cold soak IIRC but that's hard work.

Not getting anywhere near even slightly near non bonkers prepper level, get some odd looks if I tell people we keep a couple of slabs of (large) bottled water on hand at all times.

"Oh but that is pointless: there will always be standpipes or bowsers provided."

Oh really.

Rice storage: a tip from my sister in law who may be nuts but is into foodcraft and whilst not a prepper is tight as a ducks arse and buys in bulk if possible.

Buys large (25Kg) bag of polished white rice (won't go rancid so soon because the oils in the husk have gone) and then decants into cleaned and dried 2 litre fizzy drink or water bottles filled to near capacity and sticks in a oxygen absorbing sachet, although it works well without.

Leaves each bottle in freezer for a couple of days which will kill off any mites which may be lurking.

After watching the Federal responses to New Orleans, Texas, PR, etc it would be stupid to not be prepared to fend for ones self for a bit. People seem to think Government moves at the speed of light. The only agency that I trust to do a decent job is the US Military.

Oh really.
Last place we lived in the UK was fed by a couple of water treatment plants. I wander into the Tesco at the southern end of town next to Police HQ one afternoon just before school pick-up and there are people with trolleys full of bottled water. I ask the security bloke whats happening and he tell's me that there is something wrong with the supply so they turned it off.

1. Tesco (Sainsbury, Waitrose and the local Co Op's) had sold out of water by 16.00hrs.

2. Stand pipes were not going to happen as there was a contamination of the supply.

3. Bowsers were not visible till the next morning.

4. I cannot remember how long it took to purge the supply pipes of the contaminant, but it was longer than a day.

I know it is not the UK but another example of things falling to shite: In Pennsylvania we suffered a really bad ice storm worthy of Hoth (as it has already been mentioned). The storm caused ice build up on power lines and bought down loads of them. Middle of winter 12 inches of snow, thats 30cm, on the ground and no power for 5 days.

Mylar bags, drop in the rice, couple of oxyzorb and silica gel sachets, heat seal the bag, good for 10 to 15 years.

The bloke who taught one of the courses to the council volunteers told us that - if we were interested for ourselves - as staples we should minimally store:

- Flour
- Sugar
- Powdered milk
- Rice

Then build up around that with other dried and tinned goods. Short shelf life stuff you would ordinarily eat, use it as you would normally but keep a minimum stock level on hand. I have met some of these prepper nutters at the range who tell us about their 'stash'. They have basically been to the cash and carry and bought a lifetime supply of pot noodles, Kellogs Frosties and lemonade powder.

My prepping consists mainly of knowing where the out of town distribution warehouses for the large supermarkets are.

Nah, I like shooting, lots, and hate reloading, so the quicker I get it done the better. The way I have my press set up I can crank out 1000 rds an hour of 9mm, or around 800rds of 5.56.

I know a 'Doc', but not the comic book one you showed.
Holy shit that is impressive! Let me bend the knee and kiss the ring..

In context of UK, question bug out to where?

I could go to the Blogg Beta site but that is really just somewhere 200 miles away and not necessarily better.

Otherwise family in Scotland. Assuming the border is not closed to keep to Anglos out
One of the big concerns we had as council emergency people was the sheer numbers of people expected to be travelling through the county if things went tits up. The clever trick-cyclists reckon that if it falls drastically to shite the mental state of people will be such that try and move to where their sub-conscious mind thinks is a safe, happy place. For most people that is where they go on holidays, days out, school jolly's - you won't be able to drive to Spain so it would be UK places - the favourite areas are the west of england, lake district, jockistan, new forest, etc. So the routes to those places would fill rapidly. Consider the worst possible commuter nightmare traffic day and then multiply that by 4 and throw in some panic and confusion.

The grown ups on the planning team were planning for increased hospital capacity, food and water resources and wondering how they would cope with public order - which we won't consider.

If it is a localised event it is a case of simply moving on to an unaffected area. However, for a national event it is advisable in the first instance of mass confusion to stay put where you have everything you need to get by. Re-assess the situation as it evolves and then make as informed a choice as possible if and when to move out to the family holiday cottage in Happyshire, or nick a boat and sit it out off-shore.

Holy shit that is impressive! Let me bend the knee and kiss the ring..
I have the XL650, with casefeeder and a self made bulletfeeder - a copy of the Mr Bulletfeeder (I'll send you a pic). Dillon reckon around 600 to 700 an hour with the case feeder, with the addition of the bulletfeeder the speed goes up dramatically. You just make sure that the powder is filled up, that primer tubes are filled and rowed up and off you go.

I can well recommend the 650 as a reloading press - around the $800 mark plus dies and other odds and ends, but it pays for itself pretty quickly compared to paying full price for ammo.