Content Management Systems

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Contrarian, Nov 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking to set up a website/forum and am looking to encourage user participation with users able to start new threads.

The last time I designed a website was when Dreamweaver was in its infancy and I still ended up writing a great deal of HTML by hand . I'll obviously need a database driven site and have chosen MySQL for that purpose. However, I'm unsure of the best Content Management System for ease of use, stability and security.

I understand the hallowed Arrse is run using PHP but I've heard that unless you know the ins and outs of PHP then security can be an issue. Alternatives include Plone, Drupal, Ruby on Rails and more.

So, can any of you technology wizards give me a push in the right direction? Oh, and I'll be using Apple Mac, but could run Linux instead. I most certainly will not be running Windows.

2. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

I think you are mistaking the underlying language with the actual CMS, for instance PHP is a language, as is Ruby on Rails but Drupal is a CMS written in PHP.

I'd also recommend you think long and hard about what you actually want your CMS to do before choosing one. For us the most important part is the Forums which is why we chose a CMS which is very strong on this aspect (Dragonfly CMS). If you are more interested in published content then maybe Joomla or Drupal would be more appropriate.
  3. That shows how behind the times I am and how little I know about this. What a massive learning curve I face. I will certainly give thought to what I want most from the CMS. Perhaps even Wordpress would suffice for mainly published content.

Perhaps I haven't decided what I really want. Decisions, decisions.

Food for thought. Thank you very much for that.