Contactless Debit/Credit Cards.

If you have a 'contactless' Credit or Debit Card, when using the retail outlets Chip/Pin card reader, is using the conventiaonal chip/PIN method of completing a purchase safer than using the 'contacless' facility on the Chip/PIN card reader?

If you think that the Card Reader is 'dodgy', is changing the card PIN at a Banks Cash ATM machine facility safer than not doing anything, or should you get the card cancelled and a new one issued with a new PIN.

I have used the 'contactless' facility in Supermarkets and have had no problems. I have been advised using the store card machine the traditional way by entering the card PIN rather than using the 'contactless' facility is a safer option.

Any comments in regards to this. thanks.

C

CleverPagan

Nothing to do the way you pay for (almost)
Its a matter of your card being swiped for data anytime, anywhere with readily available readers, so once you got contactless card, you end up in danger using it and when you do, it would not raise suspicion to non authorized transactions- such will go through.
Even simpler- You bought wine at your corner shop twice one evening or trice? or 9 times? as only authorized retailers where supposed to be allowed to use such facility, now it becomes an issue of you checking each transaction for retailer credentials... else blame yourself for getting such card.
Hope makes sense, as I had few bevvies and in the mood to save the world ....

Depending on how you look at it but by entering the pin you are handing over 'something you know' that is rarely changed. And that number can authorise a massive spend. With contactless, you don't need to put your card into anything so less chance of cloning. You got a limited spend so fraud should be sensed more easily due to the volume of payments made.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I have used a contact less card for a couple of years now without probs. the last - and only - time my debit card was cloned was in March 2012 at the Gurkha restaurant opposite farnborough airport and the bank picked it up almost immediately.

It was a pain in the arrse waiting three weeks for a new card to reach me though.

C

CleverPagan

Long while ago, I had one (replacement) sent to without asking...
Stormed right in to the branch, heard load of bollocks about how good it would be and lucky I am.... handed it back to them, 5 days later had a normal "non contact less" ever since
The end

Stormed right in to the branch, heard load of bollocks about how good it would be and lucky I am.... handed it back to them, 5 days later had a normal "non contact less" ever since
The end
I doubt they let you have access to money.

theinventor

Old-Salt
That's where the phone-based contactless payment apps should be more secure. They require you to "awaken" the phone first by fingerprint, password or PIN. No chance to read the "card" without your knowledge.

Assuming of course that you trust the app...

If you have a 'contactless' Credit or Debit Card, when using the retail outlets Chip/Pin card reader, is using the conventiaonal chip/PIN method of completing a purchase safer than using the 'contacless' facility on the Chip/PIN card reader?

If you think that the Card Reader is 'dodgy', is changing the card PIN at a Banks Cash ATM machine facility safer than not doing anything, or should you get the card cancelled and a new one issued with a new PIN.

I have used the 'contactless' facility in Supermarkets and have had no problems. I have been advised using the store card machine the traditional way by entering the card PIN rather than using the 'contactless' facility is a safer option.

Any comments in regards to this. thanks.
You are a dullard.

YetAnotherRock

War Hero
The end
Urban myth, you can swipe the data, but to decrypt and get cash you need a merchant terminal, which is traceable.

The end
Thanks for that.

I bet you're one of those tossers who gives a look of suprise when they've served you and then realise you actually need to get you're wallet out of your pocket.

I thought scammers were skimming peoples cards on the tube now ? It can't be very hard to get hold of one of those terminals , even the local butty wagon has on .

The end
Ooh check you out, poncy fücking queen.

C

CleverPagan

That's over a year old, security is forever evolving.
Horse sh*t!
as much as it does, so is the sophistication of scammers.

Contacless, the way I see it- you let everyone willing to have your checkbook, be it not signed, but half done way as how to milk your money and I mean- EVERYONE.
Google

Last edited by a moderator:
Horse sh*t!

Contacless, the way I see it- you let everyone willing to have your checkbook, be it not signed, but half done way way as how to milk your money and I mean- EVERYONE.
Google
Best to carry cash around. Big wads of untraceable cash.

Horse sh*t!

Contacless, the way I see it- you let everyone willing to have your checkbook, be it not signed, but half done way as how to milk your money and I mean- EVERYONE.
Google
You seem to know a lot about it Queeny, care to spill the beans?

Wow you googled card readers. Look Fido, fetch the stick.

Latest Threads