Contact work in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by cakenarse, Jul 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been offered a job in Kandahar Air Base, salery seems very good, any one got any experience of contractors to avoid, how reliable on pay are they etc, any advise on tax free conditions etc. i am of the belief that if it sounds too good to be true then it normally is, monthly wage is 10k.

2. Hi cakenarse,

Could you give me the recruiters website address please as I am looking for a job in the middle east mate.

Diversify

3. Check the whole package, does it include flights, insurance etc, is it a rolling contract renewed every six months? I've heard of guys going home on leave and being told not to bother returning as the contract was not renewed.

4. The contractor is CTC if anyone has any experience of them, got offered the job as a result of posting my CV on the internet. Got offered the job off the back of 2 phone calls so a little unsure, it is an open ended contract, they want me to do 4 months on 1 off but im trying to renegoiciate that. It seems as well after speaking to an accountant that it being tax free is not that straight forward, if its not tax free then ill not bother.

5. You have to be out of the country permanently for something like three years not to pay tax and they'll still get you if you bring it back in. Even if you had it paid into an offshore account and never brought it back to the UK you would get taxed on it.