Contact with the Media and Communicating in Public.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Jan 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The original DIN has been superseded , and is now 2008DIN03_020 released November 2008

I can't copy and paste it here as it's 'Not to be communicated to anyone outside HM Service without authority' . It is posted to remind journalists who like to trawl for stories of the restrictions on serving personnel talking to the media. A few of whom have appeared here over recent weeks.

Google 2008DIN03_020

Can't find a copy of 2007 to compare it with at the moment. Is there any difference to the original?

2. Thanks, PTP. At a brief glance I guess the permissive reference to HCDC and Number Ten petitions might be new. HCDC were not pleased when there were suggestions last year that the DIN applied to their consultations.

I will be offline today but will have a proper look this evening and pick up any points not already covered by others.

3. excuse my ignorance, what does HCDC stand for?

4. House of Commons Defence Committee

5. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I do love the 'Not to be communicated to anyone outside HM Service without authority' when it is then posted on the mod.uk site which is easily accessed by a google search.

As I'm not serving anymore and it seems to be a public access document available via the internet to all who want it the link to the current version is below.

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/6F94F9BE-76DD-4487-BEAA-C1F8CCD3EFDE/0/2008DIN03_020.pdf

or the google version

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=2008DIN03_020&meta=

S_R

6. According to the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/facebook/4636962/Soldiers-banned-from-MySpace-and-Facebook.html

7. In the vain hope of stopping lots of outrage, this instruction was done to death last year when it was first issued. Once people looked into it, most of the outrage was found to be bollocks - mainly because the people complaining about it hadn't actually read it and preffered to believe "Newton-Dungs" account over fact.

As its a document reviewed anually, its just been reissued so here we go again with leaking it to the press and trying to build up an outrage bandwagon.

8. A Non-story, we always note Opsec and Persac on here and when we make a mistake the MOD step in. However Facebook is rife with stuff that should not be there so it is right to remind everyone of their duties.

9. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Thought that DIN was particularly old news?

10. It's to stop the duty idiot doing something stupid or what journos could deem 'offensive.' For example a soldier who has uniform as his profile picture listing killing chogies, paddies or terry as 'interests' or 'favourite activities' especially as Harry has been in the Media calling his mate a paki.

11. Security aside, I know of a couple of marriages wrecked by people on tour catching up with old school crushes on facebook and coming home and leaving their family and kids after 10-15 years. It's a double edged sword!

12. msr

msr LE

But that has nothing to do with Facebook.

msr

13. I can never work out what the Sun's up to with their reporting. They do good stuff in promoting H4H etc and then always print the shite. I know it's all about balanced reporting and everything. The facebook article gets half a page and the death of 3 Sigs blokes in an RTC gets a squashed up little paragraph.

14. Equally in my time I knew of marriages that ended because of lads meeting girls in the pub whilst away on courses etc, so by your reckoning we need to ban all social contact completely incase it breaks up a marriage.