Contact lenses

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by hull_lad, Jan 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm aware that there are similar threads to this one but I just wanted a more specific answer.

I have completed all my application forms and have a date for my BARB test. I'm going for The Parachute Regiment, but i'm a bit concerned as to whether I would be allowed to wear contact lenses firstly at basic training and then at ITC Catterick. Obviously there are quite a few night exercises and field exercises during training so they maight cause me problems there. I've asked my recruiter but he's not too sure on the topic.

I've been wearing lenses for about 3 years now (i'm 16), and feel a lot more confident wearing lenses compared to glasses, however, if I did have to wear glasses I wouldn't really mind because my target is to just get in the Army.

If anyone knows what the current policy is on wearing contact lenses, especially at Catterick, then any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. im in a similar position, but im honestly contemplating waiting a couple of years to join up so i can save up for laser eye surgery.

3. Laser eye surgery may put a bar on your application for a set period, or might have more wide reaching ramifications.

Check using the search function, I think this has been covered before in great detail, failing that, have a trawl through the medical thrad.

4. A few lads in my plt in training wore contacts it all depends on what your used to.I prefered to wear my glasses in training and they caused me no problems at all.If your worried about wearing them on exercise then just take a spare pair of glasses with you just in case.Even if you go to catterick with contacts you will still get issued a pair of issue specs or joe 90's as there renown.

5. Laser eye surgery means a 12 month deferral in case of problems. You will need glasses to join; either issue or your own; for CBRN and the like. Contacts are not very practical or hygienic for exercises anyway. Hope that helps.

6. Be very careful wearing contacts for extended periods of time. Daily lenses especially - they are designed for one day of wear and you will cause a significant amount of damage to your eye if you continually sleep in them. Look out for Night and Day 30 day lenses - they will allow your eye more oxygen, meaning you can sleep in them. I wouldn't make it a habit though, only sleep in them in the field. I've cause some damage to my eyes from abusing contact lenses and am looking into Wiley-X glasses as an alternative.

7. Couldn't agree more. Exactly the route I took. My optician of a few years even asked was I in the TA when I inquired about longer lasting disposables. He see's it all the time apparently.

Trust me its no fun fumbling with dailies in the field you end up getting one in and the other stubbornly covered in grit and flopping all over.

8. is it worth the money and risk of laser eye surgery if wearing contact lenses is practical?
    also i knew about the 12 month deferral, you mentioned its to make sure there are no complications, are they strict when it comes to it, i mean unless the surgery goes perfectly are you not alowed in?

9. They are quite strict. There are a number of factors you must meet pre & post-surgery before they'll even give you a place on an ADSC intake (where your eyes will be further assessed by an army optician, I'll know come Wednesday). Fortunately I've met the criteria so far (on paper).

You're very much looking at near-perfect correction with regards to negligible visual regression post-surgery.

The factors are listed in the JSP medical thread under "Eye Diseases":

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=100042.html

10. Contact lens technology continues to develop.

I wear monthly disposables - meaning I put them in on day one and wear them 24/7 until day 30, then swap them for a new pair (perhaps wearing specs for a day in between). They are safe and hygenic due to the soft, permeable material they are made of. They used to be relatively expensive but are less so now.

I've been wearing them for three years and have never had a problem. The issue is making sure you follow the regular check up schedule to avoid developing eye problems.

If this sounds interesting to you, in your situation, go along to your opticians and have a chat (I get mine through Specsavers Lensmail scheme (they are sent to me in the post every three months and I have a yearly check up) but others probably have similar schemes).