Contact lenses for combat. (Lenses melting to eyeballs?)

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by EX_STAB, Apr 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There has been previous discussion on the topic of contact lenses and their suitability for extended wear in the field. One thing that I think hasn't been touched on is their suitability in combat.

I've been prompted to raise this having seen this article by Michael Yon, the American journalist whose reports from Basra gained much acclaim recently:

Does anyone have any informed views on this? Is it likely, have any medics seen it?
  2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I would guess it is extremely unlikely but if its hot enough and you are near enough...
  3. Surely if you are that close you are unlikely to survive anyway. You might be better keeping the contacts in to spot the bomb in the first place?
  4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Ballistic eyewear will often help, but only where your eyes are.

If it's hot enough to melt contacts to your eyes, let's face it, you're buggered.
  5. and surely it would cause severe damage to the eyeballs of non contact wearers
  6. Ballistic eyeware is the way forward. There are some good phots around on the www showing the protection wileys give........and they keep normal shoite out your eye as well

wait out
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

ESS are pretty good too. Some of the ESS vehicle goggles will also fit the Rx glasses inserts, so you won't need to use contacts.
  8. Contacts are banned on the majority of oil industry installations, even when wearing eye protection, because flash fires will melt contacts regardless, so what Yon is on about is correct in principle. But in the Army, compared to continually pushing up your nose a pair of sweat / rain soaked specs in an environment where you really need clear and peripheral vision, it's easy to understand why a lot of "smart" people do wear contacts.
  9. Yes, balancing the threat level would put me in favour of contacts. I wasn't aware of a ban in oil installations though.
  10. I've know people on Herrick that have opted out of wearing Osprey body armour after weighing up the threat level, so with regards to contacts personally I'd go with the view that in that situation if it gets that bad you're pretty fcuked anyway.
  11. What's the ballistic eyeware like?
  12. I'm not serving, but I wear these ( in black instead of Orange) for shooting and other things where I am likely to get something in the face:

Adidas evil eye
  13. Many 'Speccy tw*t' ;-) EOD operators wear contacts because when nomex is worn as the ears are not exposed therefore nowhere to hook the gigs.

Michael Yon may know about being a Jump Master, but he appears to know feck all about the effects of an explosion. If you are close enough for the thermal effects to melt your contacts to your eyes you are going to receive more damage from the other effects such as blast and shrapnel/debris.
  14. New one on me too, never heard of such a ban in 10 years in the business.
  15. It does beg the question why the USMC always wear those Joe90 gigs and look complete mongs.