"Contact" DVD now available at the BFI

The opening scene is of an army mobile VCP somewhere in bandit country. A car containing a PIRA active service unit is stopped. The driver pulls a weapon, a shouted warning by one of the patrol and the OC slots him with THAT rifle (complete with the characteristic ching!... ching! of the working parts).

I challenge you not to get a stiffy.

Jammy66

War Hero
The opening scene is of an army mobile VCP somewhere in bandit country. A car containing a PIRA active service unit is stopped. The driver pulls a weapon, a shouted warning by one of the patrol and the OC slots him with THAT rifle (complete with the characteristic ching!... ching! of the working parts).

I challenge you not to get a stiffy.
I remember watching it back when it was first on TV as a teenager, got a stiffy then! Wasn’t just me?

Also the ambush scene at the arms drop...

Will tune in tonight!

Londo

LE
Its been many many years since I saw the film so going to catch up on it tonight . Still got the paperback but it's so old now it's starting to yellow and the.pages are coming loose although I think they are all there .
One question about the film and I've often thought about it and it may be a totally false memory is that the gimpy gunner was also the radio op. Is my memory false and if not would this be a common happening ? I would think the gunner has enough to weigh him down without an additional radio to carry .

Bravo_Bravo

On ROPS
On ROPs
Its been many many years since I saw the film so going to catch up on it tonight . Still got the paperback but it's so old now it's starting to yellow and the.pages are coming loose although I think they are all there .
One question about the film and I've often thought about it and it may be a totally false memory is that the gimpy gunner was also the radio op. Is my memory false and if not would this be a common happening ? I would think the gunner has enough to weigh him down without an additional radio to carry .
You'll know soon enough... :)

Londo

LE
You'll know soon enough... :)
Memory playing tricks on me over the years . The bloke with the radio was one of the UGL guys . Good film although it did end abruptly .

Jammy66

War Hero
Amazing film really, minimal dialogue and 'action', love the slow pace to it - you can't imagine it getting the go ahead today somehow.

I remember the ending but thought that was the only Para who was killed - forgot about the other IED, which was far more graphic. Also remember the scene where he puts the muzzle of his rifle in the IRA guys mouth for kicks.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Memory playing tricks on me over the years . The bloke with the radio was one of the UGL guys . Good film although it did end abruptly .
I read a Kindle rerelease a few years ago. ISTR it explains the abrupt ending of the original, then looks at why the author found himself in a dark place.

Never seen it. However AFN (Tony) Clarke - we never called him Nobby, much - was my platoon commander In XMG. He joined as a Tom and commissioned later and was popular with the guys. I didn’t work much with him when patrolling as my half of the platoon was lead by the platoon Sgt - Kenny S, but when we were guard platoon he would spend time in the guardroom talking to the lads.

Once when I was guard commander we were chatting and he mentioned that he had just done his PPL. I mentioned that I had always fancied flying and he asked me why I’d never applied - he couldn’t as he wore glasses. I explained that I didn’t think I was clever enough and his reply was you never know until you try. He said he’d look into it for me.

And the rest as the say, is history. That conversation literally changed my life.

Latest Threads