Constitution to sail on Sunday.

Discussion in 'US' started by DavidBOC, Aug 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. USS Constitution to sail again on Sunday.

Constitution will go for a brief trip under sail on Sunday. Two hundred years ago the US was involved in a war with another nation. The first naval battle of the war occurred two hundred years ago Sunday when Constitution engaged in a battle with a frigate of the other nation's navy. Constitution defeated the other nation's ship which surrendered.

Details of the anniversary sail are included in the story below.

USS Constitution, ship that fought in War of 1812, to sail again  - NY Daily News

(note: no iPods were seized from prisoners in this engagement)
    • Like Like x 1

2. A fine ship, you guys should get her to sail to Portsmouth and moor up alongside HMS Victory.

Then we can let slip a broadside and finally sink the bastard...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sorry, it would be unsporting to engage in battle with a ship that does not float.

She is a great ship. When the wife was active duty there I got to see all the little nooks and crannies the tourists don't go.
  4. But after she retired you went back to British Missionary with the lights off, same as the coach parties get?
    • Like Like x 3
  5. USS Cnstitution is a fine shp and it is good to see that the US have the resources to keep her afloat.

However, there were some mealy mouthed statements. The US did not find itself at war. It failed in its attempt to invade and conqueror Canada. despite Britiian facing the distraction of fighting Napoleon . The Constitution was a very big and well armed frigate. A sort of pocket battleship to support commerce raiding of the kind familiar to Somali pirates. . The result of a fairer combat can be visited in the UK where the blood stained timber of the USS Chesapeake is in use as a cafe.. So much for the exhortation; "Don't give up the ship!,_The_Brilliant_Achievement_of_the_Shannon_..._in_Boarding_and_Capturing_the_United_States_Frigate_Chesapeake_off_Boston,_June_1st_1813_in_Fifteen_Minutes_(1813).jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  6. The Constitution is a great ship I love the old sailing ones .Didn't she have a sister ship called USS President who met HMS Endymion ? Im sure Ive read that somewhere ? Strange that there has never been another President in the US Navy.
  7. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

8. There have been 6- JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Bush41...... ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Great stuff. I can't believe she still sails - all credit to the USN.

We still burnt your White House down. If we did it today you'd thank us... ;o)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. That would be interesting to see

Especially since Victory's guns are mostly fiberglass moulded fakes... they could throw fiberglass at each other, Damn the Itchiness, full speed ahead..
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Great stuff, sailing ships are the only way to go by sea. I did a couple of trips on a fully rigged schooner and it was the experience of a lifetime.
  12. The tourists got to go on your wife? Well I've heard a lot about American hospitality but that's jolly decent of you.
  13. Don't make us burn your house down again.

14. Oh please do, as soon as possible. If you did the economy might recover.

You guys bitch about us entering WW II too late. You burned the White House 197 years too soon.
    • Like Like x 5
  15. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Ahem: White House

Nonetheless it is an astonishing achievement that they can get a vessel of this age out to sea again. Must be a major headache for all those involved.