Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constantly getting hoofed off the site

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bad CO

Admin
Thanks Boss. Its definitely something on my phone, I can log in fine on my laptop.

Apologies for troubling you.
No problems at all and glad we've identified where the issue lies!

Interestingly, I did all the resets as indentified in your link, but I've still got the problem.

Might just be time for a new phone.

Thanks for your help.
Out of interest, did you do the hard reset? Safari gets confused sometimes - usually after months of never being restarted...

Force-restarting an iPhone 6s, SE or earlier​

Here's the basic method for forcing your device to restart. You'll need a physical Home button.

1. Hold down the Home button (the one on the front of the iPhone or iPad) and the power button at the same time.
  2. Keep both buttons held until the Apple logo appears.
  3. Let go of the buttons and wait while your device completes its start sequence.
  4. Enter your passcode at startup. (You won't be able to use a fingerprint to log in.)

Awol

LE
Out of interest, did you do the hard reset? Safari gets confused sometimes - usually after months of never being restarted...

Force-restarting an iPhone 6s, SE or earlier​

Here's the basic method for forcing your device to restart. You'll need a physical Home button.

1. Hold down the Home button (the one on the front of the iPhone or iPad) and the power button at the same time.
  2. Keep both buttons held until the Apple logo appears.
  3. Let go of the buttons and wait while your device completes its start sequence.
  4. Enter your passcode at startup. (You won't be able to use a fingerprint to log in.)
Hadn’t thought of that (I do restart it regularly). Cheers.

Damned GDPR notice is back with a vengeance... Ipad - cleared cookies, history, cache, the lot but to no avail.

Why no reject all button to make life easier... more green switches to switch off over two pages than enough. What gives these partners a legitimate interest in collecting various data from my iPad?

Please make it go away as it makes the browsing experience unpleasant.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Explosives and/or fire will help

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think it is heading that way but I am not sure blowing up or burning down Arrse Towers is a lawful reason to be outside of my home right n...

oh, you mean blow up / burn my iPad. Right. I am on it. Thanks for your advice.

If in doubt, blow something up.

it's taken care of a few of my past patients/casualties .

Will Amazon Prime deliver one of these by tomorrow do you think?

8AD15188-83D2-4DC8-82E6-50FA503F35EB.jpeg

Bad CO

Admin
Try using a different device. If ARRSE works ok on that then the problem is to do with cookie settings on your original one.

Try using a different device. If ARRSE works ok on that then the problem is to do with cookie settings on your original one.
Thanks GCO... even though I'm not convinced by that at all as settings on my iPad have been unchanged for as I can remember and are still unchanged.

The iPad with iOS & Safari is largely the only device I use. The different device option is a Windows 10 /Chrome device - comparing different behaviours between that and an iPad seems pointless.

So no settings changed, it suddenly starts popping up at varying frequencies. An iPad restart and 'Website Data' since cleared twice and still happening. Latest version of iOS installed today and still happening thereafter.

That said, with absolutely no changes of any kind to the iPad, it has not happened since 13:50 so fingers crossed that whatever the cause, it has resolved itself.

Bad CO

Admin
Thanks GCO... even though I'm not convinced by that at all as settings on my iPad have been unchanged for as I can remember and are still unchanged.

More work on attention to detail I reckon!

The reason it is important to check behaviour on a different machine is to confirm that it is a device issue rather than something with your account/internet connection or at our end. As no-one else appears to be having this problem, it is pretty easy to discount the latter but people are often very reluctant to accept this logic!

Fortunately we've now identified that your iPad was somehow managing to break the way that cookies on ARRSE work. Following an OS update, it now seems ok which is great news.

More work on attention to detail I reckon!

Fortunately we've now identified that your iPad was somehow managing to break the way that cookies on ARRSE work. Following an OS update, it now seems ok which is great news.
Oops... Sorry BCO. I have awarded myself a damned good right hook for that.

Strange that there were three instances following the OS update and then, with no settings changed, it appeared to be fixed.

Fixed is indeed great news though. Thank you.

@Bad CO f.i.o

Not fixed... many times today, both with after previous consent to all and with previous consent to none.

Same last night with an iPhone on G4 connection (as opposed to the wifi connection of the ipad). A couple of instances have been moments apart while simply reading posts on a page. No changing page or tabs etc involved.

I am at a loss as no switchable settings on either device have been changed before or since the thing started to randomly appear or before or since the OS upgrade (beyond clearing 'website data').

At best, if I want to consent to everything it is a bloody nuisance. At worst, if I want to consent to nothing it is more or less give up and do something else instead.

I appreciate that this (apparently one off problem) isn’t going to be anywhere near the top of your priorities list.

Or Safari being generally shite...could try installing Chrome though I believe Apple are doing shit to IOS to bollix other browsers again - cant mind where I read it.

Bad CO

Admin
@Bad CO f.i.o

Not fixed... many times today, both with after previous consent to all and with previous consent to none.

Same last night with an iPhone on G4 connection (as opposed to the wifi connection of the ipad). A couple of instances have been moments apart while simply reading posts on a page. No changing page or tabs etc involved.

I am at a loss as no switchable settings on either device have been changed before or since the thing started to randomly appear or before or since the OS upgrade (beyond clearing 'website data').

At best, if I want to consent to everything it is a bloody nuisance. At worst, if I want to consent to nothing it is more or less give up and do something else instead.

I appreciate that this (apparently one off problem) isn’t going to be anywhere near the top of your priorities list.

I suspect Safari is sharing the settings that are causing the issue between the two devices! The suggestion to try Chrome is probably not a bad one - any IOS users able to offer any other suggestions?

Latest Threads