Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constantly getting hoofed off the site

Twice today whilst browsing, I've suddenly been told I don't have enough privileges to post on threads. This is because I keep - apparently - needing to verify my account.

I have so far today verified my account twice. As I had problems previously, I had created a new Gmail account which is only active for reasons of accessing ARRSE.

I've now accessed and verified via that account twice tonight. I keep getting told that there has been access from an unauthorised device but the only devices I have accessed with today are my laptop and tablet - both of which have been used many times.

I've tried reverting to the previous email address I used, only to be told that my password is wrong. So, no going back to the old Hotmail address I was using originally.

What's going on? Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?
Exactly the same sequence of events but it seems to have sorted itself out now.
Sorry - with the exception of the 'password is wrong' bit.

Bad CO

Admin
Sorry to hear that so many of you have been having this which as @Cold_Collation and @Old Stab have identified is down to the problems that Gmail has been having over the last few days (more info here). My understanding is that a number of other forums based on Xenforo have had similar issues.

For those who don't know, ARRSE requires that all users have a valid email address and if our system detects that you don't have one then it results in the issue that many of you have experienced. Looking through our email log it would appear that the last sets of hard bounces took place at about 2230 last night so I'm hoping it has now resolved itself.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
I had much the same problem too. I got a message at the top of the page when I accessed ARRSE that it wasn't possible to send e-mails to my Google account. I found out that I could message an alternative e-mail address that I have, but I couldn't e-mail back to the Google account. The ARRSE message stated that I should check the (Google) e-mail address and perhaps substitute it. The address is correct, so I entered it again. Then I got a message this morning from ARRSE that I had to confirm the account. That was about 11:00 hrs this morning, but I'd already received e-mails to the Google account at about 10:00 hrs, so I asked for the ARRSE e-mail confirmation to be sent again. It was and I acknowledged it, so far so good. However, my Google account now tells me that I have 104 unread messages as a basis - which I don't understand.

Furthermore, on the ARRSE "Alerts" bit, I had an alert number of "1" that started about a week ago. Any number higher than that meant that I actually had new alerts. However, that number increased to "6" a day or two ago. So I now know that any number higher than that means I have new alerts. It's a bit confusing at first, but you get used to it.

MsG

I'm using an outlook address for the moment until Gmail sorts itself out.. However, despite settings on here and outlook I'm getting bombarded by email alerts from Arrse.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Bad CO

Admin
I'm using an outlook address for the moment until Gmail sorts itself out.. However, despite settings on here and outlook I'm getting bombarded by email alerts from Arrse.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Check your alerts preferences and watched threads/forums.

1608144302949.png

Bad CO

Admin
Nothing else in the email bounce log so I'm hopeful this has now been resolved!

Awol

LE
I suddenly keep getting logged out everytime I leave Arrse, Plus, I had to reset my password a few hours ago.

Is there a ‘remember password’ button that I have accidentally turned off because I’m a dork, or is the problem possibly site related?

iPhone six, using Safari.

Edit.... just had to log back in (again) and noticed on the log in page the ‘stay logged in’ is ticked correctly.

Last edited:

Bad CO

Admin
It will be something to do with the cookie settings on your phone. Try on another device and see if the same thing happens.

Bad CO

Admin
Try the usual things such as clearing browser cache and cookies plus check whether you have an settings that prevent cookies being saved.

IIRC many moons ago someone convinced spider (or one of his incarnations) that this glitch was the mods bouncing him

Latest Threads