Conspicuous Gallantry Cross sale sparks controversy

syrup

LE
31d71a30.jpg

Is it one per tour or one per contact?
Do they have to fire their weapon?

I'm thinking Major Dick Winters who came through the Bulge and never fired his weapon but was getting incoming fire
Did he qualify?

I'm thinking Major Dick Winters who came through the Bulge and never fired his weapon but was getting incoming fire
Did he qualify?
One per war. And commanding troops in combat would qualify.

Edit: as to what’s a “war”, I don’t know. There were infantry at Bragg that served in both Panama and Desert Storm and, after getting a CIB in Panama, didn’t get a second for Iraq. Those without a CIB who served in Iraq did qualify for a CIB.

World War 2
Korea
Vietnam and other operations.
Global War on Terror.

not quite sure what your point is. Yes, the Nazis had an army. This does not make all army things Nazi, unless you are at sub-kindergarten levels of reasoning (i.e. on Twitter). Should we also avoid uniforms, tanks, guns, etc?
He linked an SS officer. The Germans had a Wehrmacht. The Nazis had an SS.
The Waffen SS was part of the German Armed Forces. I could have just as easly used a picture of a Heer soldier with the same battlefield decorations. Both Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe officers and soldiers were posted to Waffen SS units.

Unlike campaign medals, medals such as the Infantry Combat badge, Tank Destruction badge, and the Close Combat Clasps worn on his uniform instantly identified a soldier as an experienced battlefield operator. This was especially important in the later part of the war when units consisted of a few veterans and lots of new barely trained recruits, or when ad hoc battle groups were formed.

An officer or NCO with a Knights Cross on his throat and/or the Close Combat Clasp in Gold on his breast would command the confidence and respect of troops who didn't know him. An unknown British officer turning up to take over a group of soldiers in the retreat in France 1940, North Africa 1942, Malaya and Singapore 1941/42 or Burma 1942 wouldn't have automatically gathered the same amount of respect.

Obviously the British Army isn't going to go the same extent the wartime German Army did, but as you pointed out, things like Para wings, Commando Daggers and other qualification badges engender a amount of respect to soldiers comming across people wearing such badges.

I wonder what Angus Campbell did to be awarded the ICB? According to his CV his only operational experience was as CO 2 RAR during their tour in East Timor in 2001.

View attachment 618418
/No Wah

I imagine looking at his right shoulder sleeve might give you a clue…

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer

And unsurprisingly, there is still quite a lot of bitterness towards people who actively seek the conditions to qualify for the CIB / CAB because they might be deemed "improperly dressed" without it - combat tourism.

Once qualified, some take rapid and large steps rearwards to ensure that they are never at risk of qualifying again.
Sergeant Steiner: Why do you want it so badly? It's just a worthless piece of metal.Look!

Captain Stransky : It's not worthless to me.

Sergeant Steiner : Why is it so important to you.Tell me captain,why?

Captain Stransky : Sergeant, if i go back without the iron Cross, I couldn't face my family

Did he qualify?
Second award Combat Infantryman's badge instituted in 1955

Anyone wearing one has qualified in one of the following-

WW2 & Korean war
WW2 & Vietnam war
Korean war & Vietnam war

Vietnam war & Panama invasion
Vietnam war & Desert Storm
Vietnam war & Afghanistan or Iraq
Grenada & Afghanistan or Iraq wars
Somalia & Iraq

there are some 230 holders of the 3rd (2 stars)award (Known as perfect attendance)

WW2/Korea/Vietnam

oh and they always have been and always will be better men than you ever will be Phucktard

syrup

LE
Second award Combat Infantryman's badge instituted in 1955

Anyone wearing one has qualified in one of the following-

WW2 & Korean war
WW2 & Vietnam war
Korean war & Vietnam war

Vietnam war & Panama invasion
Vietnam war & Desert Storm
Vietnam war & Afghanistan or Iraq
Grenada & Afghanistan or Iraq wars
Somalia & Iraq

there are some 230 holders of the 3rd (2 stars)award (Known as perfect attendance)

WW2/Korea/Vietnam

oh and they always have been and always will be better men than you ever will be Phucktard

Maybe so but it was actually a genuine question on how you get the stars

Hence why I asked what the requirements where.

Maybe so but it was actually a genuine question on how you get the stars

Hence why I asked what the requirements where.
also, there's a NON combat version...

To be awarded the EIB, the soldier must complete a number of prerequisites and pass a battery of graded tests on basic infantry skills.

Personnel who have been awarded both the EIB and the CIB are not authorized to wear both badges simultaneously. In such cases, Army Regulations allow the recipient to choose which badge is worn.

also, there's a NON combat version...

To be awarded the EIB, the soldier must complete a number of prerequisites and pass a battery of graded tests on basic infantry skills.

Personnel who have been awarded both the EIB and the CIB are not authorized to wear both badges simultaneously. In such cases, Army Regulations allow the recipient to choose which badge is worn.
I wonder which badge 99.9% go for?

What difference would that make. SASR wasn't on active service when he was a Troop and Squadron commander. He was Commander Joint Task Force 633 from 2011 to 2012 which had its HQ in the UAE. A bit far from the front line.
You know this because…

What difference would that make. SASR wasn't on active service when he was a Troop and Squadron commander. He was Commander Joint Task Force 633 from 2011 to 2012 which had its HQ in the UAE. A bit far from the front line.

Given that his service with SASR would have covered GW1 as a minimum, plus other areas which we (the public) will not be aware of, I suspect it would be a brave chap who challenged him on his ICB.

Latest Threads