Conspicuous Gallantry Cross sale sparks controversy

Pretty bulk standard, nothing to jazz it up a bit, maybe some chillis?
And for duff, your choice from the Dessert Tray ...
39548702-FFC9-4C12-AC4E-3859927705E3.jpeg
E8D5AC84-C39F-4A63-81D0-C2E1D1D581CB.jpeg

It’s the thought that counts, seriously well done mate.
In all seriousness I am willing to bet that the absolute vast majority of 'winners' of real valour awards, from VC down, did not give a millisecond of thought about what they were doing. They just acted. Afterwards they probably thought WTF!!! Some people did consciously think about it. Bomber Command aircrew, commandos on 'suicide raids' etc. But the spur of the moment ones not so much, x happened and they reacted.

Which leads back to the subject of the thread and the bit that's been nagging at me. Let's suppose it was his own grenade, snagged on clothing or whatever happened. Does it lessen the bravery of what he did? An enemy grenade or one of ours would have had exactly the same impact on those close by.

In all seriousness I am willing to bet that the absolute vast majority of 'winners' of real valour awards, from VC down, did not give a millisecond of thought about what they were doing. They just acted. Afterwards they probably thought WTF!!! Some people did consciously think about it. Bomber Command aircrew, commandos on 'suicide raids' etc. But the spur of the moment ones not so much, x happened and they reacted.

Which leads back to the subject of the thread and the bit that's been nagging at me. Let's suppose it was his own grenade, snagged on clothing or whatever happened. Does it lessen the bravery of what he did? An enemy grenade or one of ours would have had exactly the same impact on those close by.
It’s doesn’t lessen the bravery, it just lessens the integrity of the man, one down from VC?

You are right about not thinking about the act, I’ve spoken to a few who just said they did not think, just act. Like yourself.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
An interesting MC group has just come onto the Liverpool Medal site. Herrick 2008 for nearly £13k
We walked into an Ambush, it started in the morning when we were taking a compound.”
It was an enemy ambush, everyone ran for cover.”
That should go without saying, but unfortunately it wouldn't be the first time troops have walked into own forces' ambush.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
If you've got the minerals for an MC you should have the get up and go to put food on the table.

But hey, I don't know the chap's circumstances.

Maybe his medals aren’t important to him. It’s understandable.

Or facing the dilemma of bequeathing them.
Which one is the favourite child?

Latest Threads