Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Conspicuous Gallantry Cross sale sparks controversy

jg505

War Hero
Yes you're right, It is 24%.
Genuine question.

If the seller pays 10% commission to the auction House (not actually sure what sellers do pay), so quite possibly £14,000, does he have to pay any sort of tax on the £126,000 that's left?

dlrg

LE
Genuine question.

If the seller pays 10% commission to the auction House (not actually sure what sellers do pay), so quite possibly £14,000, does he have to pay any sort of tax on the £126,000 that's left?
That's a good question. I have no idea, these days, how the British tax system works.

Genuine question.

Reading this

The answer appears to be...maybe

ScooterDog

Clanker
Reading this

The answer appears to be...maybe

There is capital gains tax on any personal items, owned by one person, (some exceptions like motor vehicles are exempt,) sold in excess of £6000. Things like antiques, coins and stamps have to pay and are specifically mentioned.

RAF Akrotiri 7th Dec 1977 I was working in the Air Ops centre with a WRAF, the U2 took off a bit later than usual (around 0650) and crashed just afterwards into the Met office, adjacent to the tower and across the car park from the Ops Centre. Fireball came right through the Ops centre and WRAF and I were trapped inside, made our way down into a small storage area. Breathing through the gap under the security door as the fire burned down towards us and burning crap rained on us from the ceiling. She complained about feeling hot, I was far too frightened to feel anything so I positioned myself between her and the fire, on top because of the stuff coming down. When we got out I just told my story to someone senior who was there, they were worried more people were inside. After that no one really asked and I had no reason to tell the full story. June or July next year I was awarded a Queens Commendation. Had never thought about anything like that, at the time it seemed perfectly natural to protect her, no conscious thought.

We were actually with the UN but I was at Akrotiri for three weeks on a driving cadre in 1976. I passed my test in the first week and spent two weeks lounging around waiting to go back to my unit.

Spent almost the entire couple of weeks in shorts and a tshirt wandering between the NAAFI and the fitness centre while getting in copious amounts of sunbathing. My CSM did his nut at me when I got back because he knew I’d passed in the first week.

One of the highlights of the day if you like was watching that U2 taking off and landing.

The Lebanon thing was just starting to kick off and the hotels around Limassol were filling up with wealthy Lebanese getting away from the war kicking off there. I’d imagine the U2 was busy monitoring that and there was obviously plenty of other stuff in the Middle East going on as well.

They used to bring the pilot out lying on his back on the floor of an old VW camper van. He was kitted out in a spacesuit like flying outfit. That old van parked on the runway next to the futuristic looking U2 used to make me smile.

I’ve watched it take off and land several times and on one occasion managed to stand directly under the flight path as it’s been landing.

I took a keen interest in it because I was conscious that it was something I was unlikely to see again in such fairly close proximity.

I didn’t know it crashed the following year. Well done on your award.

Last edited:
Similarly a mate of mine was on Fingal buying back Stingers that the yanks gave to the Mujahideen.
It was interesting to accompany a US team on an arms buying mission to the east of Kandahar in 2010. The local entrepreneur/war lord* had been importing cheap as chips Chinese rifles (.22LR, shotguns) by the crate load and then selling them on to the US teams at vastly inflated prices. He was also one of the major suppliers of antique weapons so in the bazaars and markets on various bases. He could not work out why anyone would want to buy a centuries-old musket, when for a fraction of the price he could provide something new. SPotting yet another business opportunity, using contacts on the other side of the Durand Line, he had numerous cheap copies of sniders, martini-henrys and flintlock pistols made. Quite good copies but typically ENFIELD had a back to front N or spelled EFNIELD; or TOWER would be spelled T0W3R or some such and surmounted by some random crown insignia. Who knew so many Victorian gunsmiths were dyslexic?

*I subsequently heard that he tried to sell young boys and girls to some teams and then claimed to have been an interpreter and sought asylum in the UK. Probably running a 'Turkish' Mangal/brothel/drugs line in Hounslow now.

I didn’t know it crashed the following year.
There is a memorial garden at the crash site. Was invited out for the 25th remembrance but I didn't want to wallow in that stuff.

Latest Threads