Consolidated View Magazines - Who gives the balanced view?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BigRed, May 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having spent a bit of time commuting recently I have picked up a few magazines that consolidate the news for a week.

For example "The Week, The New Stateman and The Economist." Until recently I thought magazines like the Economist were about stocks and shares (normally going for top shelf or MCN!?)

Which one gives a balanced view of the world or are they aligned left or right for their views.

Anybody recommend anything better? Serious Q so "Razzle" not the answer I'm looking for.

Yours Aye

2. The Week is your best bet for a more balanced view of the week's news. Its articles usually run along the lines of 'Mr X in Y newspaper said Z story was bad. But hold on, said Mrs A in B newspaper, I can see some good coming from Z.'

The New Statesman and The Spectator are far more partisan- NS from the left of the political spectrum and The Spectator from the right. Their editorial policies involve being a critical friend to Labour and the Tories respectively. I suppose you could read both for a bit of balance but, be warned, if you don't share their views over a particular issue, some articles are likely to make your blood boil!

3. I would say that was spot on - bit like the Torygraph and the Grauniad. I read the Speccie to have my prejudices comforted and The Economist so that I know what is going on that's really important.

Actually, I think that The Economist is indispensible if you want to be well-informed, since it covers a vast range of important topics and events relating to politics, economics, international relations, society, science and technology. It can be hard going, though, because it assumes that you have a basic technical knowledge of the material its stories cover. This is particularly true, inevitably, of the economics-based ones.

It is liberal in the old-fashioned sense of arguing from the basis that freedom is a good idea. This means that it, generally, adheres to a free market view of the way to go.

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Agree with all the above. The Economist is a good general read, but has its own oddities (wholehearted support for the UK to join the Euro was one!) and the NS and Speccy cover their sides of the political spectrum in the way you would expect.

Try Time or Newsweek as well, to see what the USA is thinking. For a general summary though, The Week is probably best.