Console games from the US

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BrunoNoMedals, Sep 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Stupid question, but with the advent of next-gen consoles, games on Blu-Ray and the proliferation of SCART, are there still issues with running US games on UK consoles? Specifically, I'm interested in the PS3. Do they regionalize them like they do DVDs? PAL/NTSC compatibility isn't generally an issue anymore with TVs and consoles handling both, as far as I can tell.

I've got some work on over there next week and I might pick up some new stuff on the cheap if it'll work on my machine.
  2. Indeed there are still issues running cross platform, its all well and nice getting NTSC games from Jap and US due to their massive cost difference but unfortunately the games producers still have us over a barrel.

The disk is written at manufacture with a seperate section of the overall image which deals with Region Coding, just like normal DVD's. At present there are no easy ways around bypassing this with the PS3.

Mod chipping is proliferent nowadays as a legal way to execute your consumer right to backup your own original disks, having 3 kids I do this all the time with my machines.

chipping also allows the insertion of homebrew software into your chosen gaming platform to enable extra features such as being able to watch DivX Movies on a Nintendo DS. This is not illegal either but all modifications to hardware/firmware/software will invalidate your warranty.

At present there are no reliable mod chips for the PS3 but they will be appearing soon, teams of uber geeks work constantly to break the restrictions held on modern day hardware so keep an eye on the web and you will soon be able to play US and Jap games on your PS3 :)
  3. PS3 games aren't regionalised. However the blu-ray films, DVDs, and the backward compatible games are.
  4. Never knew that thanks - I'll have to get one now lol well at least when they are chippable.
  5. No worries. My mate has a US console, but plays games from all over on it, no problem, no chip etc.
  6. Some Blu-rays are region free apparently.

If you go to it will show you which blu-ray DVDs are region free.