Considering transferring to to ACF from ATC

Hi all.

I am new to the forum and this is my first post so please be gentle.

I am currently an adult volunteer with the ATC (awaiting the rotten veg to be thrown:)) and have been for nearly 2.5 years. I am in the process in going for a commission but have become a little deflated over the wing I am apart of and the general bull**** that stops us being able to do many things with the cadets, including shooting, field excersises and other activities.

While I love my Squadron and get on very well with the staff team there, I am considering moving to a more local ACF unit (which happens to be a AAC flt) as the ATC as a whole doesn't seem to care much for it's volunteers, although my Sqn staff are great.

My questions are:
1) is the ACF also bound by the general BS similar to the ATC?
2) it seems that the ACF are more appreciative of their volunteers. Is this true??
3) if i transferred, would my time with the ATC count towards anything, or would I have to start at the very beginning in terms of becoming a staff member??

Any advice you can give would be very much appreciated. I am an ex cadet, ex army and have a private pilots licence so believe my passion for flying might help with an AAC unit?!?! I enjoy giving something back to the cadet organisation but I would love to feel a little appreciated from time to time from my efforts!

Thanks in advance.

Talon

Old-Salt
My questions are:
1) is the ACF also bound by the general BS similar to the ATC?
2) it seems that the ACF are more appreciative of their volunteers. Is this true??
3) if i transferred, would my time with the ATC count towards anything, or would I have to start at the very beginning in terms of becoming a staff member??

Any advice you can give would be very much appreciated. I am an ex cadet, ex army and have a private pilots licence so believe my passion for flying might help with an AAC unit?!?! I enjoy giving something back to the cadet organisation but I would love to feel a little appreciated from time to time from my efforts!

Thanks in advance.
0) Welcome
1) It is difficult to say. There certainly is BS in the ACF as there is everywhere (submitting a form 6 weeks in advance to take 5 people in civies on a walk on a public footpath being a prime example), but from what I have seen from my position I would say there is more BS in the ATC than in the ACF. No hard facts to back this up, but it is just what I have seen witnessing discussions amongst ATC members and comparing them to my own ACF experiences. Fieldcraft is one of our core activities, so doing it is actively encouraged!
2) It is hard to define appreciation really. I feel appreciated. Perhaps not overly so, but I don't feel particularly over appreciated. It probably depends where you are. I have heard of some counties where those in charge bend over backwards to help their staff help the cadets but I have also heard of some that are happy to hide behind red tape.
3) Unfortunately you will probably need to start from the beginning. The initial training in the ACF is geared towards learning the things you will teach the cadets. Some you will know such as skill at arms, but some may be different to what you have already been taught. AT, First Aid and Range qualifications can be transferred.

Your passion for flying would be a bonus, though a Rifles unit could benefit just as much as an AAC unit. In my opinion, the secret to having a strong unit is offering things beyond turning up and doing drill every night. There is no reason trips to AAC facilities and even flying cannot be done, they just need someone willing to organise them!

Hi Talon

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in coming back to you.

A weird question possibly, but if I was to continue with the ATC and gain my commission, with the new Cadet Forces Commission around the corner, do you think that there would be the opportunity to transfer said commission to the ACF or another cadet organisation in the future?

I'm just weighing up all my options.

All the best.

Talon

Old-Salt
Well we know little about this so it is hard to tell. I couldn't say if there will be a transfer path. If there was, I suspect you would be required to do the initial training as per normal (PI training in the ACF) and then promotion to 2Lt/Lt instead of SI after AIC, skipping a second round of officer selection. That is pure speculation though.

Latest Threads