Considering joining up- Intelligence Corps

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Iain, Nov 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there

So at the moment I'm in my upper sixth. My main interest is in Chinese and other oriental languages, and I'm hoping to pursue this interest at university. I think if anything I would like to go into intelligence and get a chance to use these languages. Personally, I would prefer doing HUMINT, as I my impression is that one would get the opportunity to apply languages face-to-face.

Obviously Chinese isn't much use in Afganistan, so I was wondering if I would have a chance to use my language skills as practicaly as possible.

2. Sounds like you know what everyone in the Corps who isn't a HUMINTer does.

3. Sorry, that was a smartarse comment. I suppose I really don't have a clue, so anything you could advise would be greatly appreciated.
  4. Not sure about listening to weather reports (don't know where you got that gem from) but if you want to go into any branch of "intelligence" especially using language skills, I suggest you brace yourself for most of the day "sitting behind a desk" and "facing a screen." Sort of goes with the territory....even in Humint.

However, Chinese and oriental languages at Uni is a good choice. 100% behind you on that one. Don't forget, there are opportunities for language speakers to use analytical skills in the governmental and commercial world but I'm afraid nowadays there's always going to be that "desk and screen" thingy.

Ah, for days of a good horse, a Webley and a bag of sovereigns...... !
  5. If you want to use your language skills in Govt service and do HUMINT, then try SIS - they are always on the lookout for people with language skills, although that alone won't get you through the door.