Considering Joining as RMP, advice and answers to questions welcome.

Hi im 23 and looking to join the Royal Military Police. Im fairly fit at the moment (can run a mile and a half easy) and I know that the army are recruiting atm. I am just wandering how long do you have to be in the army assuming you get in? Do they do like a year or 2 year commissions? or what is the minimum term of service?

I would also like to know how difficult this BARB test is they put you through. Ideally I would like to see what an ex or current RMP's experiences has been like and any advice they could offer would be appreciated. I have 8 GCSE's A-C and a MMM BTEC Diploma in Business and I got a certificate of higher education from a drop out in a business degree :( plus the loan debt. Would the debt on this affect my application? bearing in mind you dont have to start paying it of until your making 20k+.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

jb83

Old-Salt
Hi im 23 and looking to join the Royal Military Police. Im fairly fit at the moment (can run a mile and a half easy) and I know that the army are recruiting atm. I am just wandering how long do you have to be in the army assuming you get in? Do they do like a year or 2 year commissions? or what is the minimum term of service?

I would also like to know how difficult this BARB test is they put you through. Ideally I would like to see what an ex or current RMP's experiences has been like and any advice they could offer would be appreciated. I have 8 GCSE's A-C and a MMM BTEC Diploma in Business and I got a certificate of higher education from a drop out in a business degree :( plus the loan debt. Would the debt on this affect my application? bearing in mind you dont have to start paying it of until your making 20k+.

Thanks in advance,

Alex
The BARB tests are fairly easy, there are some practice ones on the Army website. Basic maths and English.

Service length depends. I'm sure someone else here knows better than me but once you pass your training (I think) it's a minimum of 4 years though there is something where you can leave before end of training or within a certain time limit that I can never remember. As I said, someone will tell you better than me.

Debt wise it won't harm your application. I have a student debt myself plus a credit card. If there aren't a fair few others in the same situation I'd be a monkey's uncle. Though I'm sure the loan starts getting paid when you hit £15k, not 20. So that would be after basic training. Though that's not really something to worry about as it's only a small percentage of your wage that goes out.

Thanks for your input, yeah the BARB will probably be a breeze for me I'm more worried about the interview I've never had a paid job only volunteering and working for parents. Part of the reason I'm wanting to join. Yeah I assumed they would have a short period of time where you could bail. My friend joined the RAF and quit fairly early as I think he was getting bullied and there was a 'rape Thursday' where someone would get raped.. But im guessing that sort of squaddie sht happens in infantry. Another thing I have seen on here is there is a dislike of the RMP amongst other companies? and are you yourself a RMP?

Also thanks for clearing that student load debt issue that was a worry as alot of sticky threads emphasize how debt is a big issue for recruitment. My credit rating has always been good and I don't even use or never have used a credit card. Another thing is I have a grandad who died of a heart attack at 56 but thats the only history of disease/ serious problem in family. In my family theres a big history in millitary involvement both my grandparents were in the army same division and my Dad was in the Navy/RAF until ill health retirement. (back injury) Will this be good for application or do they not care about this?

T[snip]Another thing I have seen on here is there is a dislike of the RMP amongst other companies? [snip]
There is indeed.

Soldiers of every other capbadge hold RMP in contempt, as do civilian police forces.

Not real soldiers, not real Police, demonstrably not really competent.

It's your life, do with it as you wish.

If my son opted to join the RMP I would disown him.

jb83

Old-Salt
I'm not in RMP, I'm a recruit waiting for selection.

From what you've said I can't see you having any problems at all. The interview's always nerve racking whether you've had a job or not, at least it was for me. But they ask you things you should learn beforehand and also about experiences in life. Though bear in mind they're used to dealing with 16/17/18 year olds regularly and at that age you haven't had much life experience and never having had a paid job isn't very different. So long as you're prepared you'll do fine.

I think debt wise they would err on the side of caution if you were really heavily in debt as that would tell them a lot about yourself and the kind of person you are but a student loan is a completely different kind of debt.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I understand other units in army holding the RMP in contempt but why civi police forces? arn't they peas of a similar pod?

A recruit for the RMP? what were the hardest questions you had and how long was the interview? there are multiple ones right the first one is more informal and shorter, whereas the second is more probing and more serious questioning?

I understand other units in army holding the RMP in contempt but why civi police forces? arn't they peas of a similar pod?
No, they are not.

Look at the differing duration and standards of training for RMP and Civ Plod.

I have seen correspondence from the Home Office pretty much laughing at the notion of RMP being given Special Constable status even in the circumstances of imminent global nuclear war.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
There is indeed.

Soldiers of every other capbadge hold RMP in contempt, as do civilian police forces.

What a load of bollocks! Chips, chips, buy your chips here!

No, they are not.

Look at the differing duration and standards of training for RMP and Civ Plod.

I have seen correspondence from the Home Office pretty much laughing at the notion of RMP being given Special Constable status even in the circumstances of imminent global nuclear war.
Pish.

Disco

LE
Oh look an RMP thread is turning into a load of bollocks. Please stick with the recruitment process. Discussions over RMP v Civ plod either in the Int Cell or in the RMP forum.

Ta.

One thing I've heard about joining RMP is that you really need an A at selection to stand any chance of actually getting in

sretosf

Old-Salt

Thanks in advance,

Alex
With your qualifications I would strongly advise you to consider one of the engineering trades (Signals, Avionics tech etc).

It will pay better whilst you are in the Army and be easier for you to get a good job after you leave.

If you want to join the civpol in years to come I don't think it will matter much if you are ex-RMP or an ex-Army engineer. However as an ex-Army engineer you will have lots of other options too.

If you want to join the civpol in years to come I don't think it will matter much if you are ex-RMP or an ex-Army engineer. However as an ex-Army engineer you will have lots of other options too.
Exactly. Although there are some courses that you can do with Home Office forces/are Home Office certified, they will not help you get your foot in the door. It would assist during training, however, as you would be familiar with some (not all) of the lingo/procedures.

And don't listen to people like Stonker; he was the product of the army of many years ago, and appears to be quite bitter about RMP. While we are never going to be top of anyone's Xmas card list, we are not universally hated. The knobbers that we have are, and the trouble is that our pillocks are on show to the rest of the army, much more so than most other cap badges.

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
One thing I've heard about joining RMP is that you really need an A at selection to stand any chance of actually getting in
At the moment this is correct. There have been some 'B' grades loaded in the past but at the moment only 'A' grades are and even that is not a guarantee. Low 'A's are missing out as well.

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for your input, yeah the BARB will probably be a breeze for me I'm more worried about the interview I've never had a paid job only volunteering and working for parents. Part of the reason I'm wanting to join. Yeah I assumed they would have a short period of time where you could bail. My friend joined the RAF and quit fairly early as I think he was getting bullied and there was a 'rape Thursday' where someone would get raped.. But im guessing that sort of squaddie sht happens in infantry. Another thing I have seen on here is there is a dislike of the RMP amongst other companies? and are you yourself a RMP?Also thanks for clearing that student load debt issue that was a worry as alot of sticky threads emphasize how debt is a big issue for recruitment. My credit rating has always been good and I don't even use or never have used a credit card. Another thing is I have a grandad who died of a heart attack at 56 but thats the only history of disease/ serious problem in family. In my family theres a big history in millitary involvement both my grandparents were in the army same division and my Dad was in the Navy/RAF until ill health retirement. (back injury) Will this be good for application or do they not care about this?
Despite what has previously been put, debt is a problem. In your case, being a student loan you should be OK. Basic rule is that if you have outgoings (including debts) are over £500 pcm, that is a bar to entry. As yours will be a percentage of earnings and be less than 25% you should be OK.

H

Habayeb

Alright Alex thought I'd chip in as I'm currently a phase 2 RMP, who also has a diploma in higher education with a nice 20k+ debt so any questions just PM me mate.

There is indeed.

Bit harsh.

If my boy joined the monkeys, I'd make him stand in the naughty corner for at least 30 minutes.

TJF

Swinger
Go for it mate then try for 156 Provost Company...get some experience under your belt then join a decent UK Police Force............job done.

Alright Alex thought I'd chip in as I'm currently a phase 2 RMP, who also has a diploma in higher education with a nice 20k+ debt so any questions just PM me mate.
How long did you have to wait from going into the AFCO until you started training?
Also, can I ask what the A grade is all about? I've never heard of it.
Thanks

Latest Threads