• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Consider Phlebas coming to the small screen!

Oooh! Relevant to my interests.
Although the journo who wrote that article has not a fcuking clue what they are talking about and is full of it, unusually for media types.

Oooh! Relevant to my interests.
Although the journo who wrote that article has not a fcuking clue what they are talking about and is full of it, unusually for media types.
I totally agree, this paragraph alone...

The story of the 1987 novel, Consider Phlebas, centres on Horza, a shapeshifting mercenary who’s immersed in an intergalactic conflagration of civilisations between the Culture – a technology-dependent A.I.-driven utopia that has become detached from its humanity – and the Idiran Empire – a spiritually-driven, warlike, domination-driven society. Horza, working on behalf of the Idiran, is tasked with recovering a crucial missing A.I. component of the Culture, called 'the Mind,' which, wielding an immense power, has the potential to destroy the Culture completely. However, the task itself is deeply immersed in the fog of war, raising ambiguities about the means and methods of each side.
Has at least three mistakes. And WTF is 'the Mind'? Do they possibly mean 'Minds', or in this case 'a' Mind, who are standalone intelligence's?
And mankind has definitely NOT become detached from it's humanity!

TBH, Consider Pheblas wouldn’t be my choice (as I think I’ve expounded at length in the past :cool:), but hopefully it’ll be the start of a long term interest.

I’d part with a testicle to see a miniseries of Look to Windward or Surface Detail...

TBH, Consider Pheblas wouldn’t be my choice (as I think I’ve expounded at length in the past :cool:), but hopefully it’ll be the start of a long term interest.

I’d part with a testicle to see a miniseries of Look to Windward or Surface Detail...
Well start at the start, and Banks intended for The Culture to be introduced to us through the eyes of someone who absolutely detests it and what it stands for.
In fact all the Culture books are about how it interacts with external forces and cultures, I think in large part because books about life in Utopia would soon become very dull, a series of endless PG Wodehouse with the Minds as Jeeves.

Well start at the start, and Banks intended for The Culture to be introduced to us through the eyes of someone who absolutely detests it and what it stands for.
In fact all the Culture books are about how it interacts with external forces and cultures, I think in large part because books about life in Utopia would soon become very dull, a series of endless PG Wodehouse with the Minds as Jeeves.
It does, of course, bring with it the advantage that I’d finally get to see what an Idiran looks like, so I’ll take that. It’d be interesting to see how close the the wind they sail on some of the grislier bits, too.

I believe Banks himself said that Utopia is boring...hence why his main characters, by birth or inclination, tend not to be of the Culture.

This is excellent news and I want to be positive about the outcome. That said, the Culture novels followed a very strict narrative and structure (as has been noted) which allowed IMB to deliver the plot lines.

The script writers have two challenges thus: 1) write a screenplay that can engage those who’ve never heard of IMB and, 2) write a screenplay that will satisfy those who have thoroughly enjoyed and revered the quality of his writing.

About time too.
(Pardon the pun)
Brilliant books and cracking story lines

Fiction or science fiction, he certainly had a great talent.

very brave to take this on, however, I look forward to an orbital being destroyed by antimatter, and seeing Iridian battleships, culture class warships and... and ... and...

I’m excited! Just hope they can pull it off!

Did I mention fighting in the mirrored temple of ....

I want to be enthusiastic. I can almost manage it. Then I remember what's happened to almost every one of the books I've loved when someone's tried to put them on the small screen.

It could almost be the name of a GSV: Caught Between Hope and Despair.

Pertinent user name you have there.

I live in hope with Amazon’s interpretation of this, but it’s a tall order I think. FFS, we don’t want a Star Wars Christmas special on our hands.

I think it’s very positive and telling that Amazon’s head honcho has personally expressed his endorsement and interest in the project - at least arrses will be puckered there, knowing full well if they mess up, the boss will be watching.

As long as they get to doing "The Hydrogen Sonata". Yes, it's because it's got my favourite Culture Mind ship name in it. Why you ask?

" Mistake Not..., short for Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath"

Culled from the Culture Wiki.

I think Use of Weapons would make a better screenplay.
Like the early Discworld books, it isn't the best, but they do have to start at the beginning.

Just checked and I only have one book from the series on Kindle.........this is going to be expensive, especially since I have read them all at one time or another.

Unless they pour a lot of monies into this it will be pants, the scope and sheer vision of the books are epic in scale enough as a read, the best bet might be to do it as a manga lol.

Unless they pour a lot of monies into this it will be pants, the scope and sheer vision of the books are epic in scale enough as a read, the best bet might be to do it as a manga lol.
If The Expanse is anything to go by I think they will do it proud.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I want to be enthusiastic. I can almost manage it. Then I remember what's happened to almost every one of the books I've loved when someone's tried to put them on the small screen.

It could almost be the name of a GSV: Caught Between Hope and Despair.
Agree, but The Expanse series has been done very well. So will wait and see.

I'd have started with Use of Weapons, then The Player of Games before Consider Phlebas. I actually got my mum reading the whole series by starting her off with Inversions then PoG and UoW as CP was a bit much to start off with for someone who wasn't a natural SF reader. (Although she surprised me by saying Excession was her favourite because of all the twists and backstabbing by the Minds). She passed away before Matter, Surface Detail and The Hydrogen Sonata were published. Matter I think is the weakest of the series although some may disagree.

Feersum Endjinn would be a good one to have a go at as well.