conservatively managed appendicitis

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by clauvonic, Apr 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi all,

    I was wondering if I could pick the medical brains on here about how a case of conservatively managed ?appendicitis (ie no surgery, solely IV antibiotics then oral antibiotics) might be viewed in a joining medical exam.

    I appreciate there is controversy over this way of managing appendicitis with medical literature currently divided in thoughts about its efficacy, especially given that it's associated with a relatively higher rate of recurrence. Would a symptom free period of 1 month, 3 months, 6 months etc... be required?

    I've had a look through older posts, but couldn't quite find anything like this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. I think that I would discuss this at the medical and also the option of having it removed
  3. having it out is meant to be simple these days with a weeks rest and your done.
  4. given the fact that my son's appendix had turned gangrenous when it was removed without many symptoms displayed I would get it removed asap, but speak to your doctor first as he's a professional
  5. I'm so tempted to come out with the clever "little recurrence after appendectomy", except stump appendicitis isn't unknown.

    So I'll go with "conservatively managed? You mean it's been privatised"

    Best person to speak to is an MO
  6. Schaden

    Schaden LE Book Reviewer

    Mine went and fecking burst on me which was no end of fun - 4 hours from feeling a bit of a twinge to hospital and two days in intensive care. Lost about 20 kg in the process.
  7. Thanks for the replies, all valid points - even the one about privatisation! I've had a look through the JSP 346, couldn't see a section on the gastro-intestinal tract though.

    Though am I right in believing that a recent surgical procedure under general anaesthetic would result in a delay period before being allowed to continue with the joining process, or is this nonsense I've picked up somewhere? Given that I am be applying for sponsorship my main concern is not over having an operation but rather any potential delay it might cause and hence missing my window for applying.
  8. Having been on the wrong end of ruptured appendix resulting in peritonitis, would find the concept of "conservatively managed appendicitis" worrying. It can creep up on you with relatively few symptoms

    I went from having gut ache & feeling a bit crap to intensive care in less than 48 hours followed by the pleasure of huge intra muscular antibiotic injections, some quality time with an abdominal drain, two weeks in hospital and a long term reminder in the shape of an 8 inch scar.
  9. try this little attachment then, if it works...

    Attached Files:

  10. It's not so much that you've had a GA that holds things up a bit, but that you had something serious enough to warrant a GA - they are much less common than they used to be
  11. that gastro annex is pretty useful, thanks

    I do take all your points about the seriousness of a perforated appendix, though I should probably say this was a course of treatment recommended by a consultant and not dreamt up by me in an attempt to circumnavigate the joining medical requirements.

    anyway, thanks for the insight, I guess I'll just have to wait for the medical now.
  12. My GP managed my appendicitis conservatively, so conservatively he only prescribed gaviscon.

    Fast forward a week, two days in ITU and renal failure. Hey presto! Cured.