Conservative defence promises.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by eveyoz, May 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can we list Camerons Defence ideas/promises from the last 12 months?

Didn't he promise a "War Ministry"?

What else?

2. I don't think he made any.
    trident featured in his pact with Libdem though.

3. National Security advisor/agency was mentioned last year by tories

4. Anybody know...:

Cameron gets a 'security brief' etc etc as soon as he starts office.
    I take it Clegg will have similar.
    Is it likely that things will be disclosed to Clegg (Or highlighted) that may change his, and his party's utopian outlook?

5. No! His main aim is power so he couldn't give a t0ss, particularly as he has been doing more turns that a whirling dervish in the last couple of days. Man of the Peepill my arrse!

6. Not quite (it's called the MOD) but he did promise to form a War Cabinet on day one.

Supermatelot's idea is intriguing though....

Clegg: "Due to a recent JIC initiative to violently divorce my head from my rectum I have learned the following; Trident is a good idea, we can't just 'bring the troops home', unfettered immigration can be dangerous and I'm now a big fan of cluster bombs and WP. Oh and God Bless America."

7. You are right.

Saturday, 5 December 2009

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8396684.stm

8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

The key point about any promises is that nobody has seen the books yet. Expect a succession of newly appointed ministers to come reeling out of their departments, clutching their foreheads and vomiting into the gutters over the next few days. It is not going to be easy.

9. Did they make any promises about restoring the Scottish Regiments? There will be an election for the Scottish Parliament next year, so it could get some votes.

10. Bye, bye BFG, bye, bye tax frees! Hello land of no LOA, hello redundancies (I think you know the drills). Just wondering when he'll get round to it.

11. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

12. Is the correct answer and you win the first prize :D When the depth of the PFI debt is really known and the implications costed there will be a 1:1 exchange rate with the Pound Sterling and the Matebele Gumbo Bead :evil:

13. If he does so, then he should also consider the restoration of a good number of English Regts which have been all but disappeared in the last three rounds of amalgamations. I appreciate that in many cases it would be difficult to do so all round due to lack of manpower, but where it could be done then it should be done, but that's just my opinion, based upon your assumption being correct. Personally I doubt that it will ever happen as people have grown used to it being the way that it currently is. There are bigger issues to deal with first though.

14. I would like to think that Liam Fox will do an awful lot more for the Forces than that To$$er Ainsworth. I do think that Liam Fox is held in higher esteem by the Military & his stint as a Civvie MO has given him an insight and 360 feedback on issues that affect the Military. I am quietly confident that Fox will punch above his weight in the Cabinet & look after our interests.

15. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Spot on the money (not that we have any). The MOD is already broke, in fact it's 'trading while insolvent' in that it has spent, or committed to spend, far more than it has. There is major pain on the way just to sort out this fiasco, and that's before anyone thinks of making any savings to help the Nation pay back the enormous debts accrued by Mr Brown over the last few years.

One certainty though - a SDR, fast.

I think DC and Dr fox have been pretty cautious at making promises - they haven't been through the books yet :)