Consciousness

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by Dashing_Chap, Dec 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As ordered,

What is consciousness, or perhaps more appropriately as no-one actually knows, what do you think it is? Are we born conscious? Is a one minute old baby aware of it's existence or is it something which is acquired through brain development a few days/months later? Does consciousness have any effect on our own experience on reality, can we affect reality just by being conscious of ourselves and of our surroundings? Does it have any effect at the quantum level like causing the collapse of the wave function? Can we ever build something conscious?

As usual In Our Time also has the subject covered:

Consciousness
    Page BBC - BBC Radio 4 Programmes - In Our Time, Consciousness

Podcast
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/iotp/iotp_19991125-0900a.mp3
    Right click save as

Imagination and consciousness
    Page BBC - BBC Radio 4 Programmes - In Our Time, Imagination and Consciousness

Podcast
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/iots/iots_20000629-0900a.mp3
    Right click save as

The Brain and consciousness
    Page BBC - BBC Radio 4 Programmes - In Our Time, The Brain and Consciousness

Podcast
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/iots/iots_19981119-0900a.mp3
    Right click save as

DC

2. why are coppers such ******* ?

just why ,

twats.

3. twats. why cant they talk to you rather than just shove you and your mate about ? *********.#

4. Technical stuff and it covers a lot of the weird QM details too. The quantum computing technologies table was interesting, I wonder if it's possible to create a higher sense of conciousness with faster connections?

5. DC...my guess is that speed does not increase the quality of a concious state. Like waking slowly from a sleep... one feels the sun through the window... rubbing ones eyes. The senses kick in only to find what is probably out there anyway and waking quickly is unlikely to change those conditions.

6. Perhaps, I wonder if it is possible to increase the quality of consciousness? I also wonder if consciousness is linked to intelligence? Animals can detect numbers through evolutionary hunting, but they can't do the 2x table. I wonder if it's possible for an intelligence to exist which is on a higher level of human understanding? One that can easily understand complex patterns and perhaps things which we're unaware of, this in turn might bring about a different way of seeing the world.

7. Yes...the mind is like a muscle and already you have arrived at a higher state of conciousness as have all atheists in my opinion. One only needs to think about the rubbish of religions to reach a godless 'nirvana'. Intelligence must also be a factor but as psychology informs us, the mind is susceptible to cult influences... victims are taken prisoner regardless of backgound and escape is difficult because their thinking is shut down.

8. I say, is any of that Domestos going begging? I take mine with ice and a slice. Ta very much.

9. For physicalists/monists it looks increasingly like the solution to Charmer's 'hard problem' Hard problem of consciousness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is going to have more to do with 'panpsychism' Quantum Consciousness (Stuart Hameroff) - YouTube rather than 'emergence.'

David Chalmers on Emergence - YouTube

'All truth passes through three stages. First it is ridiculed. Second it is opposed. Third it is accepted as being self evident.'
    -Arthur Schopenhauer

Panpsychism is actually now quite a respectable position in the philosophy of mind.

Panpsychism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

'Every important idea in science sounds strange at first.' -Thomas Kuhn Scientist

Galen Strawson is perhaps currently it's most eloquent exponent.

Strawson has argued that what he calls realistic physicalism entails panpsychism. He writes that "as a real physicalist, then, I hold that the mental/experiential is physical." He quotes the physicist Arthur Eddington in support of his position as follows; "If we must embed our schedule of indicator readings in some kind of background,at least let us accept the only hint we have received as to the significance of the background - namely that it has a nature capable of manifesting itself as a mental activity." The editor of the Journal of Consciousness Studies, Anthony Freeman, notes that panpsychism is regarded by many as either plain crazy, or else a direct route back to animism and superstition." Panpsychism, however, has a long tradition in western thought.

Galen Strawson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Galen Strawson, Consciousness & Its Place in Nature

Professor Galen Strawson - University of Reading

Attached Files:

10. Did you study Psychology radiorental? I need to check that vid sometime, bit busy with Xmas.

11. Not covered is the effect of drugs on consciousness... IMO they can only enhance what is already there but most definately produce distortions too.

Emergence can't be right, or at least not all embracing...one would need to explain the random appearance and subsequent disappearance of living organisms/species.

Contrary to one of the assertions in the vids...I can't accept that consciousness is irreducible... As we age we loose faculties. However being slightly dead is not possible... :)