Conscientious Objectors

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Toptotty, Jan 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Confusion in battle is what pain is in childbirth - the natural order of things

2. Being in the RAF seems to do the trick.

3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

IIRC objection would be likely to fail if it was based on one Op or action. You could not claim that you are willing to serve in Afghanistan but conscientiously object to serving in Iraq because you believe invading it was illegal.

4. But if their objection is based on war itself, rather than one specific Op / action, then what the **** are they doing in the Armed Forces?

5. BuggerAll

Well quite. However we cannot rule out people changing their minds. They get religion etc.

6. Maybe they joined to defend kith and kin and want no part in foreign adventures started by untrustworthy politicians for dubious purposes?

7. These people weren't conscripted, they volunteered (during 'wartime' if you will), so it strikes me as ridiculous that they now wish to be regarded as conscientious objectors. Actual conscientious objectors would hardly volunteer to join any military now, would they?

There are four possibilities here:

1 - they are fools
    2 - they are cowards
    3 - they are both
    4 - they want to make a name and career for themselves off the back of this posturing, and ponce about the anti-war political fringe, droning on to rooms half-full of unwashed leftists about how they took a moral stand against becoming 'war criminals'.

8. No gold codpieces for my Judge Dredd,

9. However Conscientious Objectors can be extreamly brave in WW1 a man by the name of William Coultman joined the North Staffordshire Regt voluntairly he then declared he he was a conscientious objector and could not kill so he became a streacher bearer and ended up with 2 Milltary Medals 2 Distinguished Conduct Medals and a Victoria Cross it makes you wonder though why these 9 are not medics they dont have to like war to help people that are hurt

10. BuggerAll

Dad's Army's Pte Godfrey was a conscientious objector in the Great War who won an MM as a stretcher bearer. I don't need reminding that it's a fictitious story but as with many good fictions it carries a greater truth.

That said I'm inclined to be sceptical about people in an all volunteer army who suddenly find a conscientious objection to bearing arms.

11. IMO, they are not conscripts and should therefore be forced to soldier on. The Navy guys unless serving ashore in A'stan is unlikely to come into contact with the enemy and are more likely to kill someone driving a car than serving on board HM ships. Make them go to the war zone as non-combatants.

12. And service personnel such as William Coultman should be justly honoured - however, I would not bracket those cited in the original article with him, as they seem to want out completely. Coultman's moral objection was against killing, not service in the Forces in which he served gallantly, whereas the nine personnel in question seem to have somewhat broader objections - "Six of them....were granted the right to leave the armed forces because of moral, political or religious objections."

13. BuggerAll

I don't think I want any of these people in a war-zone. Not if anybody else has to rely on them. I also don't want them to continue to draw pay if they are not willing to do the hard business of soldiering (or whatever the matelot or crab version of soldiering is called)

14. I'm struggling a wee bit to get my head around how in an all-volunteer armed forces we can still have COs..? I get that "people change and get religion etc......but to be honest, it still doesnt wash....what comes out from the figures though is that some meet the criteria, whatever it is and some don't.....I say don't let anyone serve that doesn't want to - but do extract any penalties from them for not fulfilling their contracts...