conrad mcloughlin of east lancashire regiment

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by porkpie eater, May 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone,
    I wonder if anybody out there can help me with the following. I am new to WW2 service research but I've done a lot on WW1.

I am trying to trace the service details of Conrad McLoughlin who joined the 1st battalion of East Lancashire Regiment from the Manchester Regiment during the latter part of WW1. He started as a private and worked his way up to Colonel by the end of his service in the early 1950's. I know the ELR were allocated the numbers 3377001-3433000 but his number in 1940 was 163269. This came from the London Gazette in Jan 1941 when he was promoted from W.O.II to Lieutenant.I assume that officers had a different batch of numbers to the troops.

In summer 1945 he was a captain and serving in India/Burma as he was unable to get back home for his daughters' marriage. In 1947, he was a major and had a home address of 3 Windermere Ave, Sale. The 1st battalion ELR served mainly in North Western Europe but the 2nd Battalion served in S.Africa, East Africa and India/Burma. It looks as though he must have transferred from 1st Bn. to 2nd at some point, possibly when he was promoted to Lieutenant.

Can anyone throw some light on the above or suggest a site to look for more information.
    Many thanks for any anticipated help.
  2. I'll move this to the infantry forum when I know you've seen this response. it will go in Infantry so please bookmark that page in advance, so you can find your thread again in a couple of days.

have you tried the LANCS museum? East Lancashire Regiment | Lancashire Infantry Museum should be able to put you in touch with Regimental Associations & historians, old boys etc.
  3. Wouldn't the Military History & Militaria sub-forum be better? The OP could find a lot of helpful info already exists in there.

Military History and Militaria
  4. good call, thanks. had a quick look for it earlier but couldn't find it. what happened to the days when all the forums fitted on one page...? *sigh*
    • Like Like x 1