CONRAD - Cold War Question

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Lympstone_Mud_Warbler, Apr 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is anyone is out there who during the cold war worked in the TA using CONRAD mobile and fixed comms radio. About five TA signals regiments were involved in the provision of emergency communications under the project CONRAD which ran from the 1970s to about 1991 and was replaced by NCRS.

If you are one of these people then I have someone who would like to talk to you. He is involved in getting some of this kit back together for a museum project. Drop me a PM and I will send you the e-mail contact and you can talk radios for hours.

I don't know anything about Signals as I am a radio dunce.

If you can help many thanks.

2. The basic kit for CONRAD was the Larkspur D11 transmitter and R234 receiver. These were each roughly the size of a three drawer filing cabinet and valve based; one of the better excuses for the prehistoric kit was that valves would be easier to replace than PCBs should we have a nuclear exchange and the attendant EMP. The beasts came in two forms, mostly in boxes on the back of Bedford 4 tons.
    A single fit has a DII and R234 in the same 1/4 ton box plus a pallet-mounted generator. This I think went to headquarters and other 'customers'
    The main Gateways (tape relays) were equipped with triple fits with a full size box body containing either 3 x D11 or 3 x R234. The Gateway was then meshed together with a maze of quad and power cable from centralised generators. There was also a massive mast field, comcen and all the other impedimenta. It took roughly a weekend to set up and for the D11s to settle down.
    There were 4 Gateways - one from each of the four original regiments in the Brigade: 32,37,38 and 71 Sigs, each of which operated roughly in their own home areas although the layout changed a bit in the early 1980s.
    The original plan was to replace with Clansman C1980 but HDRS wandered into service in the early-mid 1990s, after massive software problems: excellent kit for its day though and certainly streets ahead of its predecessor which was never much more than a lash up.
    I'm pretty sure that the Signals Museum has a DII/R234 ground station, which it presumably inherited from the School so it'll almost certainly have the necessary manuals too. If you need more I can probably dig out a few techs/TOTs who might be able to help further
  3. Edited once to remove double post
  4. Sorry lads, in my day, the 1950s, it would have been IMI IMI

dit dit dah dah dit dit, dit dah dah dit dit. Say again over, say again over.

Puerile and infantile I know. But it was the double posting ( and the vino )

that got me. Forgive a poor old signaller. :D :D
  6. Well, if you're going to get spotterish C2 was originally called AICORN

7. PM Sent - Thanks.

8. Was it? I remeber working D11s etc and CONRAD II trials before it became NCRS. Why it was never mounted on the Triples was beyond me. I won;t promise to dig out any old pams etc as I always forget to :oops: however if I remember I'll PM you.
  9. Adaptive

Was MEL's (?) commercial name for the kit.

The triples would have been ideal on ex - certainly better than a windblown 12x12 or a draughty nissan hut. The GSR for HDRS, however, called for the kit to be used dismounted - i.e. in a bunker or other building - and for the dismount to be doable by two WRAC (yes it's that old) in 30 mins. Hence the horseboxes were only really for movement to warlocs and training. Several efforts by 2Bde's TA elements to get something more substantial and roadworthy failed. 37SR tried a BBV fit with old triple boxes, although this may have been only for their Clansman dets. 71SR briefly had a nightmare station consisting of an NCRS box on the back of a Bedford van foisted on it: with the 3.5 genny trailer it looked for all the world like a council roadworks crew.