Connecting PC to TV with HDMI cable

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Taffnp, Jan 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I did this a while ago and all was working ok. A few weeks ago I decided I would watch something from youtube on my TV and selected HDMI2. All that appeared was a blue screen.

Have gone into settings on my PC and the only option is connect to external display which seems to be VGA connector. Have tried detect, but nothing happens.

Am both stumped and annoyed. Don't want to spend all day googling for a solution, only to find the problem is not addressed.

Hopefully someone here will have the answer.

2. Did you set the laptop to "output" the display? Sometimes Function - F4, or Function - F8.

3. What model laptop is it (I'm assuming laptop from 'external') what OS, what is the external video connector type (15pin VGA, DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort), how is it connected to the TV?

Check which TV input the PC is connected to - sounds daft, but Doh! moments happen to us all.
    Most "modern" systems can detect when a second display is connected, and will automatically use it, either cloning the PC screen or extending the screen.

4. The blue screen is probably an extension of your current screen...so move you mouse across and you will probably see it in there. You can move your player in there and watch whatever it is you are want to watch.

Thats if it is a light blue screen of course.

5. This will be seen if you "right click" on your laptop desktop, and go to properties > settings tab and see if there is an extended screen.

6. PC is one I built myself - all works ok. Running windows 7 professional. Graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 5700. Just downloaded the graphics driver again, as I thought I had lost some modules.

Looked in Device manager and no sign of any HDMI connectors

Also looked in the graphics settings and the only monitor is the one connected to my PC - a synchmaster. Tried detect but nothing else appears.

7. The blue screen is just as likely to be one displayed by the TV when you switch to in inactive input (ie nothing connected to the socket). Very easy to check - switch to an HDMI input that has nothing connected.

Device Manager will not show you any connectors - its the physical connector type on the graphics card. Ok, the stock ATI5700 comes with two DVI connectors (the moden equivalent of the old 15pin VGA connector). So, you currently connect to a screen using Port A (or 1) and a DVI to (presumably) DVI cable. To connect to the TV, you need a DVI to HDMI lead, or an HDMI lead and a DVI-HDMI connector.

If you graphics card has one DVI and one 15pin VGA connector, then check the TV has a 15pin connector (often marked as 'PC'), and you will need a 15pin VGA to 15pin VGA cable.

If the TV does NOT have a 15pin VGA socket, and your card has 1 x DVI and 1x VGA its going to get interesting, but lets keep it simple.

8. I reckon I must have been using the HDMI card on the motherboard and somehow it is now not working. Probably due to an upgrade or I have deleted or lost a file. :(

9. As well as the ATI 9700? Its possible. Check in Device Manager if the onboard gfx is present. If not, reboot, and check if its enabled in BIOS.

I dont have much experience in using on-board and gfx card for multi-display - my 'experience' predates DVI, and adding a GFX card tended to disable on-board as the performance was better.

But it is possible with "modern" motherboards. However, the easiest way is simply using the second output on the 5700.

10. Solved. I had disconnected my cables a while ago and then reconnected the HDMI cable into the graphics card. The correct slot for it was in fact next to the vga connector which was only visible after crawling behind the pc with my torch. Thanks all my fuckwittery is cured :)