Conn Iggulden and Simon Scarrow.

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by ottar, Jan 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that both authors have a good following and have received excellent reviews but also that their books aren't totally historically accurate.
    As someone that has more than a passing interest in early European history and a tendency to be rather **** about it at times I'd like to know whether the Emperor, Conqueror, Eagle and Revolution series would be worthy additions to the library shelves of Chateau Ottar or would they be a waste of a couple of hundred Shekels, a few thousand sheets of paper and an affront to history that would cause me to massacre a village or three?

To compare with the visual arts, are they Braveheart, which made me mutilate children with a marlin spike, or Rome, which I rather enjoyed?

2. I've read most of Simon Scarrow's novels, and thoroughly enjoyed them. Although I can't claim to be an authority on ancient Rome, I'm reasonably knowledgeable on the subject and don't recall any glaring errors.
    Definitely more "Rome" than "Braveheart"

3. Thank you kindly. I think I'll give Scarrow's book a whirl, then.

4. The Roman eagle series by Simon Scarrow is very good, and easy to read. A good romp through ancient Romes empire, from Britain to the Middle east. The two main characters Cato and Macro are well written and believable enough. Would recommend the series to anyone asking for a good read without having to think too much.

The only Conn Iggulden books I have read were the emperor series, about the life of Caesar. I know they are not 100% historically accurate (mainly Caesar's relationship to Brutus) but they are, nevertheless, very good indeed.

You could do a lot lot worse than to delve into these two authors.

Make the purchase mate. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers N_W.

5. Thank you, too. I'll have to add Iggulden's books to my shelves, also.

6. I enjoyed Conn Iggulden's Emporer series and thought they were well written and researched, with the fiction keeping you enticed whilst the fact doesnt overwhelm the story. It was a good series. His new books on Atilla are well written as well.

Simon Scarrows work is similiar to Bernard Cornwells writing and the novels seem to stick to a similiar formula but again are well researched.

As for a wildcard try some of Tim Sverins books they follow the story of a viking to the court of the eastern roman empire and the vangarian guard.

7. I haven't read any of the Conqueror series, but I enjoyed Wolf of the Plains, his first novel about Genghis Khan, and I've just started the second one, Lords of the Bow.

He did take a few historical liberties for the sake of the plot in Wolf of the Plains, but he gave the correct version in the afterword, so that's fine by me.

8. the Emperor series is fantastic for the first 3 books anyway... the 4th was rushed I thought.

Iggulden's new work is also damn good
    :D

a worthy buy!

Also the Gaunt's Ghost series by a guy called Dan Abnett is phenominal, I can't recommend anything higher. It's Sci-fi but hell its such a good read :lol:

9. Iggulden takes his research seriously, and at the end of each book he explains where he has diverted from history for dramatic effect.

i find the emperor books far more "serious" than the somewhat Boys Own romps of Simon Scarrow. but i enjoy those too, with a tongue firmly in cheek :)

10. Just finished Scarrow's Centurion over the weekend after devouring the series in the past month. Fantastic stuff. Agreed with CR's assessment of the two series - Iggulden's works in my opinion are of a higher quality & the Conqueror series is promising to be just as good as Emperor.

11. yeah i must confess i preferred the first conqueror book to the second. attila the hun not a historical figure i was particularly interested in prior to reading - he does a very good job of piqueing one's interest.

after all, iggulden is the one who first got me interested in caesar, got me reading lots of books and prompted a fantastic visit to rome last year!

12. I have just read the first two books in the Emperor series and found them to be very enjoyable. If you like your books with wholesome adventure and larger than life action then definately get them. Not read Scarrow, but did almost pick up centurion the other day. Also, you might want to try David Gemmell's Troy series: Lord of the silver bow; Sheild of thunder; Fall of kings. I also really liked Bernard Cornwell's Harlequin (probably more than all the others I've said).

13. simon scarrows youngbloods books about the lives of napoleon and wellington are also highly recommended.

14. Both good authors, easy to read, not too knowledgable on the time period do can't comment on accuracy.

Bernhard Cornwell, the Pale Horseman series, excellent, also the Winter King series, Harlequin and his latest, Azincourt, fantastic reads, most can be read in a weekend they just flow so well.

Just read the Bretheren series by Robyn Young, very good, all about the Crusades and Knights Templar with a bit of Da Vinci code type stuff thrown in.

15. Chinggis. The Genghis books are the Conqueror series. I read all three now. Fantastic read. Going to pick up the Emperor Series now.

Tramlines. Good shout with the Troy series. Also a brilliant read. His wife done a good job of finishing the last one when he died.