Congrats to all PS3 Owners - Looks like Blu-Ray has won

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Arai, Feb 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Linky

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91221-1305804,00.html

A lot of analysts are saying it matters not that HD DVD has failed - The future is downloadable they say. Given that XBOX Live has downloadable HD movies right now its possible that they are right

Me? - I'm just gonna sit back and watch Planet Earth Blu-Ray on my PS3 with a cigar, a bottle of wine and a smug smile :D

(edited for mong spelling)

2. Hmmm, its a bit like that advert, "who is they?" Whilst I agree downloads are great and lots of people use them, I would say the majority probably don't. Even more of an issue is the size of HD content, until we all get Fibre to the Door, I cannot see HD download becoming mainstream, and I cant see the Film industry deciding not to release HD content on disc while they "wait" for the hardware to catch up. So I think you you are correct to have a smug smile whilst sitting down with your Blue-ray disk :D

3. I can see Bluray, fading away, hard memory sticks/cards etc will win in the end? We have almost reached the point that the disk is too big and not portable enough, and who would have thought that when CD's came out!

4. hmmm, not so sure. I still cant see Memory Sticks or cards reaching the same price point as Blu-ray disks will do if they become mainstream (at least not yet) I mean 10p for a DVD-R, cant get a memory stick for close to that yet

5. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

People always go on about downloadable HD films but a HD film is roughly 15-20gb, with average broadband speeds over copper at about 6mb running at a 50:1 contention ratio that is clearly a fantasy

Blu Ray is the sensible choice and always has been

6. Fibre to the door? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Not unless your a corporate giant with lots of zero's to spend.

Did I mention I'm a BT Engineer?

7. Hee, I agree. though I dont think the time frame is huge. I predict common place fibre to the door within 10 years

8. BT have been working on fibre to the door for many years and in places there is fibre to Primary Connection Points, and copper from there on. It will just cost billions to change over the whole network and it's costing a fortune at the moment just to maintain the aging copper/aluminium cables.

10 years is still optimistic in my opinion, there may well be a lot of underground fibre in cities and big towns by then, but not in the one-eyed-bog-monster villages that most people have never heard of.

9. Fcuk off - when did you drink wine through choice.

10. Seeing as Copper has had it's day (wasn't aluminium only put in as a cheap alternative to copper after the war?) for large volume data traffic, isn't it about time BT just started chucking in fibre anyway?

11. I totally agree with you. But try finding somebody who will be willing to pay for it.

Yes aluminium was a cheap alternative but there is still plenty of it out there, and it's sh1t because it's a brittle metal so keeps breaking.