Conger Eel

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by skintboymike, Apr 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A few of the lads from work went on a sea-fishing trip today, with a view to bringing back loads of free meat for a BBQ this weekend. I wasn't sure what to expect, so I prepared a bit of room in the freezer and hoped for the best. They arrived back tonight with a conger eel about a metre long and a few bream.

Now the bream I don't have a problem with - it's easy enough to prepare a marinade on the day, and they don't require too much cooking. The eel, on the other hand, I'm stuck with, as it's quite tough meat. I've made fish pie, casseroles, etc with eel before, which it is quite well suited to, but was wondering if anyone had any decent recipes/ideas for cooking it on a BBQ?

:nemo: :fish: :nemo: :fish: :nemo: :fish: :nemo: :fish:
  2. Bream. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I haven't caught one yet this year but had loads last year. Lime is a really good ingredient for your marinade.
    If you cook them whole, use a pan that slopes up at the edges and lay the tails up the slope. That way the thinner flesh near the tail doesn't overcook.

Conger................ Oh dear.

A lot of ball-ache to make edible, most of which consists of trying to disguise its flavour and texture.
    After you have fucked about with it for ages, nobody will eat it, it will end up in the bin. Do the sensible thing and just bin it now to save yourself all that effort.

Enjoy the bream
  3. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Sorry mate - smoking eel is your best bet..... But you simply won't have time at a BBQ. Bin it, as stated above it is more hassle than it is worth and it is an acquired taste at best.

As many here know, I likes me fodder but eel is something that is not to my pallette.

Have fun!!!
  4. If you've got a pool,just chuck the conger in when your guests are wallowing pissed-fkn hilarious :slow:

Edited twice for being monged
  5. Conger eel was once cooked by my Mrs. She only tried once. You can forget the taste of shit, but you don't forget the taste of conger eel.
  6. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

OK - so this was bothering me as I knew I had a recipe for this somewhere. So over breakfast, i went and looked in my cook's library..... I knew it...... Fecking Gor-fecking-don Fecking Ram-feck-Say.

Here is how a 3 Michelin Star Chef does it. If you eat and Conger still tastes awful, then you know, like me, that eel isn't for eating.

* 2 kg conger Eels head and skin off, cut into boneless fillets
    * 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
    * Sea Salt & freshly ground black pepper
    * Saffron
    * 1 bulb Fennel trimmed and finely sliced
    * 1 carrot chopped
    * 2 sticks Celery sliced
    * 1 shallot finely chopped
    * 2 Cloves Garlic crushed
    * 2 star anise
    * 2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper
    * 250 ml white wine plus extra
    * 2 L fish stock
    * 2 Potatoes peeled and finely diced already blanched
    * 3 beef Tomatoes deseeded and chopped
    * 1 tablespoon Basil chopped
    * 1 tablespoon Flat-leaf parsley chopped

1. Take the conger eel fillets and season with olive oil, black pepper and saffron. Place in a frying pan over a moderate heat adding more olive oil to the pan and fry the conger eel in a little olive oil for 2 -3 minutes on each side.
    2. In another pan heat some olive oil and add the fennel, carrots, celery, shallots, garlic, star anise and cayenne pepper. Cook stirring over a medium heat for a few minutes. Next pour in the white wine and leave to reduce.
    3. Remove the fish from the frying pan and add to the soup. Deglaze the conger eel pan with a little extra Pernod to catch all the cooking flavours and pour this into the soup as well.
    4. Now add the fish stock, potatoes, fresh tomato, basil and parsley and cook out for 20 minutes. Finally transferring in batches into a blender blitz until smooth and strain back into the pan through a sieve to get rid of any unwanted bones.
    5. Simmer for approximately 8 minutes and check for seasoning. Remove from the poaching liquid and divide amongst the four soup bowls. Serve immediately.
  7. Conger steaks cooked in foil after being marianaded in the magic ingreadeant Perond, a very large glass
  8. Every one an absolute gem.
  9. Yaes, but thats a lettuce

Also try Conger cooked with apples, onoins and cider, served on a bed of Saffron rice, EEEMMMMMMMHHH
  10. Mate, you need to ease up on the marinade. Or marianade, it's your call.
  11. I thought I'd report back on the conger - it was quite nice actually, and nowhere near as tough as everyone said it would be. Here's how I did it;

4kg eel, cut into 1.5 inch thick steaks
    2 lemons
    2 limes
    4 garlic cloves
    6 dried chilli pods
    handful of basil leaves
    150ml sunflower oil
    50ml white wine vinegar
    Salt and pepper

Put the chilli, garlic, basil, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper into a blender. Add the juice of the limes and lemons. Blend it down to a vinaigrette. Chop the remaining lemons and limes into 1/8th pieces and throw together with the eel into the marinading bowl. Pour the marinade in, making sure to thoroughly coat every steak. Leave for 2-3 hours. Cook on a moderate BBQ for approx 15 mins each side (they are very robust and stand up to the heat very well.)

Everyone had it and thoroughly enjoyed it - the bones were nowhere near as problematic as we'd envisaged, and the meat was tender and flaky. The only downside I could find is that the strong fish smell hangs on the breath long after eating it, so probably not best eaten before going out on the lash. If the lads catch this on the next trip I'll definitely cook it again.
  12. Im F**king starving after reading that, roll on my pub lunch, a sprig of Parsley gets rid of the smell

Try and get a copy of "Simply Fish" by Jenny Baker, its a crappy paperback, but the fish cooks bible, I keep it in my fishing box as it has scores of raw fish and marinaded recipies in an A to Z format,
  13. I tried washing it away with rum and grappa, didn't work though. 8O
  14. I should think that by then you didnt give a F**k anyway
  15. I think if I'd tried to pull last night the last thing any potential target would be worried about was the smell :D