• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Confusion over pay????

Hi there. Been looking at the pay scales for 2008. The basic pay for a new entrant is easy enough but I'm not sure about what you earn after that. It's got PTE pay levels 1-7 and there is a higher and lower spine. The long and short is what would I earn once passed out as a basic soldier and how do you go up the in pay levels (is it course based, time served etc)?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to firgure out if I can afford to go reg (been TA for 5 years) and after a long time convincing the wife to go along with it I've suddenly realised that she's got a point with regards to money situation. Want to go down the CMT route but if it's deemed I'm not smart enough then it's Infantry for me.

Many thanks.

TBM

You'd have to be almost brain dead before we refuse you entry as a CMT.

Pay levels vary i believe on what trade you become or what corps you join. Im royal signals. I know when i passed basic trainging i went up level then also another level after a year served then not increase to passing out of phase 2. but pay increase for beoming class 2, then its done yearly. I now increase on the day i got promoted. in october i think. but also go up another level once class one. you will be up to level 4-5 within a year and half something like that

michael3429 said:
Pay levels vary i believe on what trade you become or what corps you join. Im royal signals. I know when i passed basic trainging i went up level then also another level after a year served then not increase to passing out of phase 2. but pay increase for beoming class 2, then its done yearly. I now increase on the day i got promoted. in october i think. but also go up another level once class one. you will be up to level 4-5 within a year and half something like that
Have you thought of a career in JPA and/or the AGC? They could really use your skills.

Litotes

Michael, is English your first language?

I thought you had to have a little bit of intelligence to be in the Royal Signals, clearly forming sentences is not a required skill then?