Confused.com!

Probably not the best place to put this if I'm looking for a proper answer. Mods, move at will.

"Using Bow's notation and graphical methods, predict the appropriate reactions, and identify which members are ties and strucs"

see attached pic.

What does this mean?! apart from that i'm a thick cunt??

Edited for being a mong with attachments, twice

Attachments

jmj

Old-Salt
Bows notion is explained (somewhat) here. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but the ties and struts bit is fairly easy. Ties are members acting in tension, struts act in compression.

I've just checked and this IS NAAFI.............. so fcuk-off with your struts and ties unless we are talking bondage!

It's too complicated. Tippex out the middle bits, beef up the outer triangle and it'll do the job.

I had that drawing on an exam paper once. If you'd only asked sooner, but my head's full of other trivia now.

If you get really stuck, say that you couldn't work it out because you weren't told whether the connections were welded or pin-jointed.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Its a tent. What do I win?

Whats a strucs?

Oh now you've done it! Good-bye studying, see you in hell! I'm off to rape myself over last night's Russian Cheerleaders.

Still, if anyone else has answers I'll be risking my career plumbing the depths of the NAAFI bar from my work computer tomorrow.

Errr... where is the upwards force acting? The setup in that diagram is just going to head downwards at ever increasing speed...

pdf27 said:
Errr... where is the upwards force acting? The setup in that diagram is just going to head downwards at ever increasing speed...
:? say WHAT??? :?

Its diagram to explain the theory of boring thick cnuts like you.

I win - wheres my £10! Lock the thread and shove it in the arssehole

pdf27 said:
I think it's working on the assumption that the structure is already resting on a surface. If not, then the acceleration would only increase up to the relative terminal velocity - unless in a perfect vacuum of course.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
trombone84 said:
Probably not the best place to put this if I'm looking for a proper answer. Mods, move at will.

"Using Bow's notation and graphical methods, predict the appropriate reactions, and identify which members are ties and strucs"

see attached pic.

What does this mean?! apart from that i'm a thick cunt??

Edited for being a mong with attachments, twice
Well, I'm going to take a stab in the dark here, 'cos I'm not a builder, but the struts are the bits that support the vertical load, ie: they support the other members, which support the load (roof tiles for example).

The ties are the bits that stop the structure spreading. So, the horizontal beam at the bottom is a tie, as it stops the apex-forming beams from spreading sideways under load.

To put it simply, the struts are under compression when a load is put of the structure, and the ties are under tension to maintain the shape of the structure under load.

Can I have a biscuit? :D

Biped said:
Well, I'm going to take a stab in the dark here, 'cos I'm not a builder, but the struts are the bits that support the vertical load, ie: they support the other members, which support the load (roof tiles for example).

The ties are the bits that stop the structure spreading. So, the horizontal beam at the bottom is a tie, as it stops the apex-forming beams from spreading sideways under load.

To put it simply, the struts are under compression when a load is put of the structure, and the ties are under tension to maintain the shape of the structure under load.

Can I have a biscuit? :D
You can have a single plain ginger nut, but you're not allowed to dunk it.

It's actually a bit of a sneaky question because, depending on the magnitude and positioning of the loads, some members that were struts could become ties and vice versa.

As I suggested earlier, take out all the middle bits, then the bottom becomes a tie and the two sides will always be struts. Provided the loads are always vertically down, that is. And provided that it's pin-jointed - it gets even more complicated if it's welded.

Edited:

Actually, because you're not a builder, you may dunk your biscuit because you've got the general principle cracked.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Find a payphone that works, and 10p, then ring *These chaps*

Give them some money. They'll sort it, trust me.

Now, can we get back to the trignomity of tits? I dunno about you but I found that quite arousing.

TheIronDuke said:
Find a payphone that works, and 10p,
You may be getting old, but your memory's still intact. I bet you remember having to press button A...

I believe it's 40p now.