Confirming your commission

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Woof, Jan 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Can any one give me the exact requirements for Confirming a TA Type A Commission.

    Who approves it?

    Who checks the approver?


    Is there any short cuts?
  2. Approved by your CO - he rubber stamps it to say you have completed your probation. He endorses and forwards AF E535 up the food chain for the attention of the APC and for Gazetting.
    Probationary period usually 2-years as a 2Lt (1 year if you're a former WO). No other shortcuts.
    Can't remember exact requirements but you need to (a) keep your nose clean, (b) attend at least 1 annual camp or course in lieu, (c) BFT, APWT and any other compulsory training at CO's discretion.
  3. msr

    msr LE

    TA Regs are actually posted on the internet. They are in a pointlessly stupid format which also prevents them from being cut and pasted.

    Cut and paste this link into a new browser window

    Then click on G1/J1 and then TA Regulations. Look in chapter 4, part 4

    Quite why they can't be posted as a single pdf I do not know.

  4. msr: Cutting and pasting of the link doesn't seem to work for me.
  5. Quis custodiet custodiens, eh? Eh?
  6. It is Quis custodiet custodes - actually.
  7. msr

    msr LE

    Romanes eunt domus.

    Dr_Evil, you will have to drill in through Armynet (go to the Army Electronic Library)

  8. Nice one. Or indeed Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, as I have just discovered on Googling to see if you were right - see


    Ah bollix - conceded too early - you can say any of the above and old Juves won't be annoyed.
  9. 2 years (1 if graduate/ ex-WO), having completed Module 5. You can't be confirmed beforehand.
  10. So that's what I said then?
  11. Nope, there is no requirement to do either a Regimental Camp or PCTC (or equiv Troopies Cse). Mod 5 is a requirement however.
  12. msr

    msr LE


    Have a read of TA Regs, section 4.064, para c (sorry for quoting it like this, but I haven't worked out how to defeat the block on cut and paste yet).

    I don't believe that you are correct. However knowing the ability of the army to grip its websites, this may well be out of date.

  13. If its acrobat, try ctrl-A (select all) and copy everything to a doc, then paste from that.

    My data is from the RMAS and Module 5 lectures on "TA officers careers". We don't need PCTC (etc.) until we're a Lt.

    However, it may be at odds with what is written down.
  14. re Mod 5, while at rmas the stated policy was completed prior to confirmation. The last wording I saw was mod 5 to be completed within 2 years or lose commission, a subtle difference. I got my second b4 completing mod 5
  15. It's one years probation for all newly commissioned 2Lts, and you must complete your special-to-arm training (or equivilent) in order to be confirmed and promoted to Lt. Confirmation is made through the Gazette.