Confirming your commission

Can any one give me the exact requirements for Confirming a TA Type A Commission.

Who approves it?

Who checks the approver?

and

Is there any short cuts?

Approved by your CO - he rubber stamps it to say you have completed your probation. He endorses and forwards AF E535 up the food chain for the attention of the APC and for Gazetting.
Probationary period usually 2-years as a 2Lt (1 year if you're a former WO). No other shortcuts.
Can't remember exact requirements but you need to (a) keep your nose clean, (b) attend at least 1 annual camp or course in lieu, (c) BFT, APWT and any other compulsory training at CO's discretion.

TA Regs are actually posted on the internet. They are in a pointlessly stupid format which also prevents them from being cut and pasted.

Cut and paste this link into a new browser window http://www.armysecure.mod.uk/AEL

Then click on G1/J1 and then TA Regulations. Look in chapter 4, part 4

Quite why they can't be posted as a single pdf I do not know.

msr

msr: Cutting and pasting of the link doesn't seem to work for me.

Romanes eunt domus.

Dr_Evil, you will have to drill in through Armynet (go to the Army Electronic Library)

msr

NAP6W said:
Dr_Evil said:
Lt_Seefeldt said:
Who approves it?

Who checks the approver?
Quis custodiet custodiens, eh? Eh?
It is Quis custodiet custodes - actually.
Nice one. Or indeed Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, as I have just discovered on Googling to see if you were right - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juvenal

Edited:

Ah bollix - conceded too early - you can say any of the above and old Juves won't be annoyed.

Lt_Seefeldt said:
Can any one give me the exact requirements for Confirming a TA Type A Commission.

Who approves it?

Who checks the approver?

and

Is there any short cuts?
2 years (1 if graduate/ ex-WO), having completed Module 5. You can't be confirmed beforehand.

Country_Bumpkin said:
So that's what I said then?
Nope, there is no requirement to do either a Regimental Camp or PCTC (or equiv Troopies Cse). Mod 5 is a requirement however.

Sapukay,

Have a read of TA Regs, section 4.064, para c (sorry for quoting it like this, but I haven't worked out how to defeat the block on cut and paste yet).

I don't believe that you are correct. However knowing the ability of the army to grip its websites, this may well be out of date.

msr

msr said:
Sapukay,

Have a read of TA Regs, section 4.064, para c (sorry for quoting it like this, but I haven't worked out how to defeat the block on cut and paste yet).

I don't believe that you are correct. However knowing the ability of the army to grip its websites, this may well be out of date.

msr
If its acrobat, try ctrl-A (select all) and copy everything to a doc, then paste from that.

My data is from the RMAS and Module 5 lectures on "TA officers careers". We don't need PCTC (etc.) until we're a Lt.

However, it may be at odds with what is written down.

re Mod 5, while at rmas the stated policy was completed prior to confirmation. The last wording I saw was mod 5 to be completed within 2 years or lose commission, a subtle difference. I got my second b4 completing mod 5

Country_Bumpkin said:
Approved by your CO - he rubber stamps it to say you have completed your probation. He endorses and forwards AF E535 up the food chain for the attention of the APC and for Gazetting.
Probationary period usually 2-years as a 2Lt (1 year if you're a former WO). No other shortcuts.
Can't remember exact requirements but you need to (a) keep your nose clean, (b) attend at least 1 annual camp or course in lieu, (c) BFT, APWT and any other compulsory training at CO's discretion.
It's one years probation for all newly commissioned 2Lts, and you must complete your special-to-arm training (or equivilent) in order to be confirmed and promoted to Lt. Confirmation is made through the Gazette.

Sapukay said:
Lt_Seefeldt said:

Who approves it?

Who checks the approver?

and

Is there any short cuts?
2 years (1 if graduate/ ex-WO), having completed Module 5. You can't be confirmed beforehand.
A pass in Latin O Level is not compulsory apparently...unlike in 1914 or 1939!

All of this conjecture (for the most part) just goes to prove what a shambles the system is in currently.

I have heard various versions of what's required to confirm a type A commission. These include:

1 Yr from commissioning (Automatic) following CO's sign off - Mod5 and Spec to Arms training required.
1 Yr from end of Mod 5 with a Spec to Arms or Camp thrown in.
1 Yr with Spec to Arms or Camp irrespective of Mod 5.

I have in my hands (well, the hand i'm not typing with) a letter to my CO from APC TA & Reserves Manning and Career Management Division dated last year (Sept).

Verbatim, the letter states:

CONFIRMATION OF COMMISSION TA OFFICERS

1. Subject to the officer having satisfactorily attended Annual Camp and/or their Special to Arm or Service Course in lieu of Annual Camp (see Annex A/2 of TA REgs) as required under para 4.063 of TA Regs 1978, the above named officer will be eligible for confirmation of their commission as Lt after 12 months.

2. Will you please complete the attached proforma 11 months from the date of commission (as shown on the attached commission letter) and return it to this Branch.

3. Should the officer not have attended Annual Camp or the Special to Arm or Service course, will you please arrange for a report to be submitted to this Branch in accordance with para 4.064 of TA Regs 1978.
No mention of Mod 5 at all! I am wholly convinced that every branch of the army working on this knows exactly what it is doing and is carrying out it's work competently. Unfortunately they are doing different things.

Any definitive answers?

SB

Argh. Info available to you on ArmyNET would take you at least part of the way to the definitive answer. Why not have a look?

But to save you the bother of pulling your finger out, and in the hope of prompting a comment from someone who really knows the score, here is what TA Regs have to say on all this.

Confirmation of Commission

With certain exceptions (for LE commissions, NRPS, medically-qualified officers, and so on), all TA type A officers are required to serve one year on probation as second lieutenants before their commissions can be confirmed: see paras 4.063-4.066.

Provided that year has been served and one following further criterion is met, confirmation is automatic. The exceptions in this regard are the HAC and the SAS, where final approval of Commanding Officer HAC and Director Special Forces respectively are needed as well.

The further criterion is specified at para 2.009: namely, a "satisfactory report" from the Commanding Officer needs to be submitted to TA & Reserves MCM Div. Para 2.009b stipulates the basis on which a Commanding Officer may decide whether to issue a satisfactory report. He must issue one if the officer has either -

(a) attended annual camp; or
(b) attended the unit's special-to-arm or service course and successfully commanded men during weekend training.

That's it. It all tallies with what is in the letter to your CO. The way I read Para 2.009b, the CO and/or other people cannot start adding additional hurdles or tests (such as completion of Module 5) on which the grant of a satisfactory report is to be made conditional. But in real life I am sure they do.

Perhaps ROCC(V) and all that malarkey purports to add completion of Module 5 as an extra criterion. But if it does so then it contravenes (or at least goes beyond and so is invalid unless supported by some other bit of TA Regs) para 2.009b of TA Regs.

Promotion to Lieutenant

I thought I would add this in case people got confused and began demanding promotion to Lt at the end of their probationary year.

According to para 4.082, the day after the end of their probationary year and confirmation of their commission, 2Lts with an undergraduate degree and MTQ (or its modern equivalent) and those in the AGC(SPS) may be promoted to Lt. All other 2Lts may be promoted to Lt two years after they commission.

Despite the use of the word "may" here, in fact promotion to Lt is automatic unless the officer is considered unfit for promotion or as needing a period of deferment and a report to that effect is forward to TA & Reserve MCM Div before the due date of commission: see para 4.087.

Termination of Commission

There is no additional requirement to have completed Module 5 or special-to-arm training in the parts of TA Regs concerned with confirmation of commission and promotion. However, it is possible that termination of commission might be the penalty imposed for failure to meet either requirement, as this can happen to any officer "who has failed to carry out his military obligations as required by regulations" or if the Defence Council requires it: see paras 4.175 and 4.176. Annex 1 to Chapter 4 of TA Regs sets out the disciplinary process that must be gone through before you can be sacked like this, and the penalty is a bit Draconian.

Conclusion

Not much sign of a shambles in all that. Seems pretty clear to me, although more info on what the sanction is for failing to complete Module 5 and the legal basis on which that sanction might be applied would be useful.

So, o subbies in search of a hard life: the day after the first or second anniversary of your commission (as appropriate), put that second pip up and challenge anyone who grips you about it to show you a copy of the report sent to TA MCM Div.

Alternatively, be nice and let your OC bestow it upon you, as mine did, with the words "The Army has made a mistake ... ."

Woof said:

Who approves it?

Who checks the approver?

and

Is there any short cuts?
Your commission is confirmed as follows:

1. Your CO writes to Comdt RMAS via Col TA Trg RMAS requesting your commission be confirmed.

2. The subject officer must have the following - a. A minimum period of 1 year commissioned service. 2. Completed Module 5 (4 x weekends for Type A, 3 x weekends (no CBRN) for Type B). c. YO A&SD training course (PCTC if inf, etc.).

3. The authority for this is the recently published Defence Instruction Note (DIN) 2005DIN06-120.

4. If you need any further information, I believe the TA guys at RMAS will probably confirm it for you.

Dr_Evil said:
Provided that year has been served and one following further criterion is met, confirmation is automatic. The exceptions in this regard are the HAC and the SAS, where final approval of Commanding Officer HAC and Director Special Forces respectively are needed as well.
Sadly not true Dr Evil! The DIN makes no mention of the HAC and SAS. The rule applies to all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AndyPipkin Current Affairs, News and Analysis 2
bullshit Officers 22
S Officers 34